Author Topic: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 6:45PM Thur 17/2/11  (Read 6876 times)

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
[Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 6:45PM Thur 17/2/11
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
Just reposting this here so people don't miss it.  :)

Quote from: GalacticCircus
Melbourne Galactic Circus Ranking Tournament #1

Hey Guys,

Welcome to the very first GC Ranking Tournament for 2011. After finally resolving all the issues that were preventing our cabinets from being tournament viable, we feel we are now ready to let you guys know about what we have in store for you regarding our ranking tournaments.

Venue: Galactic Circus, Crown Entertainment Complex.

Date and Time: 7.30PM, Thursday 17th of February 2011
Sign-ups start from 6.00PM to 7.15PM. If you think you might run late, send me a PM and I'll pass you my number so you can contact me.

Our plan is to run fortnightly tournaments in sync with Box Hill Timeout, so one week there will be a tournament at Timeout and then the following week we will hold one at GC.
We've decided to make our tournaments on Thursday as well, simply to keep it as a convention for the players, so every week they know that Thursday will be tournament day, whether it be at Timeout or GC.

In regards to time, we have again decided to choose a similar time for conventions sake. There are a few other factors that we have to take into consideration, those being parking and overall duration of the tournament. For parking, to my knowledge there is free parking around the vicinity of Crown from 6.00PM onwards, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Free Parking on Clarke St.
Here is the Google Maps link: http://tiny.cc/r5uxy
If anyone could PM me instructions on how to insert the interactive map, that would be greatly appreciated :D .

The only major concern is the duration of the tournament, currently we only have 4 cabinets at GC and if possible I would like to avoid finishing too late in the evening. So just to let you guys know beforehand, this first tournament will be a trial on our behalf just to see how things run and if necessary we will make alterations to the start time for future tournaments.

Format and Rules:
- 1 Match (5 rounds)
- Double Elimination
- NO Double Jeopardy
- Top 4 will be seeded. Random seeding thereafter.

This is exactly the same at the Timeout tournaments. This seems to be standard accepted by the players so we'll run with this to start off with, if you guys have any suggestions feel free to let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Entry Fee and Prizes:
Entry Fee: $10 Per Player, every entrant will receive a $10 Cash Card.

Cash Prize Distribution: Cash prizes will we awarded to those who place in the Top 3 with a approximate distribution of 25/11/4 of the total entry fees. The Top 3 will also be awarded with higher value cash cards.

This is an example of the cash prize distribution for a tournament with 50 entrants.

1st Place: $125 Cash, $30 Cash Card.
2nd Place: $55 Cash, $20 Cash Card.
3rd Place: $20 Cash, $10 Cash Card.
All other entrants will still receive their $10 cash card as part of entering the tournament.

The reasoning for this entry fee and prize system is to encourage more beginner players to participate in tournaments with hopes of expanding our scene. In traditional tournaments, prizes are usually awarded only to those who place in the top 3 and in some cases the top 8. However, everyone else will normally walk away with nothing other than the tournament experience.
Now as important and valuable as that may be, unfortunately it does not necessarily provide the best incentive for new or even mid-level players to frequently attend these tournaments and improve.

So with this system, our goal with the prizes was to slightly shift the focus away from the top players and instead put a little more emphasis on the low to mid level players. That isn't to say we don't want to reward the strongest players that place well, just that we feel the up and coming players should be given something for their efforts as well.

We hope that with this system, regardless of your skill level you will always walk away from the tournament knowing you've gained something of great value. If you're a top player, there are decent cash prize for those who are the strongest but if you're a low to mid level player, you will not only be able to gain valuable tournament experience but also you'll be rewarded with some credits to further improve your game.

Ranking System:

We feel it is important to have a ranking system because it allows players to monitor their progress as they attend each ranking tournament. Overall the idea is to provide an incentive for the players to not only improve but also to bring their A-game to every tournament. The challenge then was to devise an interesting system that would cater for all the players of all skill levels, a point system that would never put the players too far apart from each other regardless of their placing.
The purpose of this is to ensure that the lower level players never feel that they are too far behind the stronger players, and at the same time ensure that the stronger players are never able to let their guard down as they could be overtaken at any time.

At the moment we don't have a finalized scoring system but what I can tell you is that it will involve prizes at the end of the season, which brings me to my final point:

Melbourne Galactic Circus Major Tournament 2011
After the great success of GC's last major tournament in March 2010, we have been given the opportunity to run another major towards the middle of the year. Information regarding the dates and the details are still a mystery at the moment as we will be taking various factors into consideration such as the dates for the other major Fighting Game events (i.e OHN, EVO, SBO, Shadowloo Showdown, BAM etc.) and of course, AE DLC.

The major tournament will mark as the conclusion of our fortnightly tournaments. At the end of the tournament season, there will be prizes and rewards for the ranking points that you have accumulated throughout the fortnightly tournaments. I will reveal more about these prizes and other various details as more information comes in.

However, the focus for now is our first GC Ranking Tournament which will be this coming Thursday, I hope to see all of you guys there so we can have a grand start to our tournament season.

Thanks a lot guys.

GC| Chris Ho.

P.S Its Marvel Baby!, I'm aware that most if not all of you will have your focus shifted towards MvC3 as the 17th also happens to be the release date, but hopefully you guys won't mind coming out that night for some AE action. :wink:

Also, some tips on where to park from Aaron;

Just go crown the night before, rack up free parking and you're set!

Best places to park (IMHO) is Whiteman St and Haig St across the road from Crown, or Munro st at the rear of south wharf ..both under the westgate fwy. Typically always parking there...esp. on weeknights.

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
Re: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 7.30PM Thur 17/2/11
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
Just wondering if the time should be a little earlier for this. At least until we can get more cabs at GC.
Thoughts?..

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:41:46 PM »
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. We can only have 2 matches going at any one time  ???
Melbourne Fighting Game Tournament Matches & Streams
Shadowloo.com | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
the reason its later is due to parking chris discussed this with myself toxy and eddy and alotta ppl who coming from the s.e will struggle to get there earlier . parking will not be free also and ppl will be forced to pay to park as well finding it hard to find a park.
Also theres hotter girls later ;)
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
Not talking REALLY early. Parking is for free around 6'ish right?.. In those back streets around crown.
So instead of 7:30pm, how about something like 6:30pm.

Or even 6:45pm. That extra 45min will make a huge difference. Just saying, especially we get plenty of Sagat vs Sagat or Sagat vs Guile. :P
And GC is also known as Guile Circus.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »
Ah yes, the Guilelactic Circus crew  :o ... Hopefully we can finish this before midnight on only 2 setups  :P

cypheros

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
Not talking REALLY early. Parking is for free around 6'ish right?.. In those back streets around crown.
So instead of 7:30pm, how about something like 6:30pm.

Or even 6:45pm. That extra 45min will make a huge difference. Just saying, especially we get plenty of Sagat vs Sagat or Sagat vs Guile. :P
And GC is also known as Guile Circus.  ;D

I'm going to be an advocate for the earlier start times. I have a feeling there's going to be a huge turnout on the night and it's going to be pretty slow going through the brackets with just 4 cabs running. 6:30 - 6:45 pm would be a perfect start time imo.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »
Oh.... and it's a vote from me for the earlier start time too. But a dare say it's probably too late to tell people now... Maybe make a executive decision if there are lots of people there early, otherwise might be best to leave it for now.

You could probably crunch the numbers, considering we know the amount of setups and if it gets to a certain amount of people at a certain time, just call it and start the tourney.

Just a thought?

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
I'll come if MvC3 releases Wednesday and I get salty from getting bodied in it that night, if not see you in a fortnight.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline GalacticCircus

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry about the late post, here as some updates in regards to the Tournament rules and starting time.

Format and Rules:
-Double Jeopardy WILL be allowed provided it is convenient to do so.
-Top 8 will be seeded.

-Players may only use ONE character throughout the tournament.

My goal with the above rule is to hope that more players will devote more time to learning and mastering a main character. I'm aware that not all of us want to walk down this path and prefer more viarety in our play and thats cool. However, for the purpose of the tournament and overall strengthening of our community in both numbers and ability, I think it is best to go with the method that has been tried and tested for producing the best players in the world.

Date and Time:
-Tournament matches will begin at 6.45 PM. Keep in mind guys this is just a trial so we'll see how it runs this week. I'm more than happy to delay matches for people who are running late so just let me know in advance or have someone else notify me.

-Signups will still begin at 6.00 PM.

Thanks a lot guys.

GC| Chris Ho.
www.galacticcircus.com.au
Australia's Largest Indoor Interactive Theme Park

Offline ToXY

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
Driving wise starting tournament matches starting at 6:45pm is a little too early, the minimum time parking starts in that area is from 6:30 > 7:30 depending on the parking spots, and finding parking at 6:30pm right away could be difficult, even if you did manage to find a park right on 6:30pm by the time you walk to GC you will only just be able to scrape in, that means if anyone doesn't find parking instantly that a lot of people will be running late.

On top of that making the tournament start at 6:45pm would also require the people who drive to drive through peak hour traffic, by making the tournament start earlier, it could possibly end up starting later and being more difficult to run by people turning up too late due to the conditions i mentioned.

I'd say the minimum time you would want to start is 7:00pm for these reasons stated above, i realize you want to start it a little earlier due to wanting to finish it earlier, but i think by making it start slightly later that it can help people arrive in time and make it easier to run since you wont be waiting on as many latecomers .

Offline GalacticCircus

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
No worries Toxy, I'll definately take that into consideration. Since at moment I'm not sure of how many entrants we're going to get, I'll probably start the matches a little earlier with the players who come in early if we get a big turnout, but otherwise I'll try and wait for you guys as long as I can.

As mentioned, this is really more of a trial to see how things go, we'll definately make adjustments to the future tournaments if needed.

Just to re-iterate if you guys think you'll be running late or are just around the corner looking for a parking space, give me buzz and have someone else let me know and I'll run other matches to accomodate.

Thanks.
www.galacticcircus.com.au
Australia's Largest Indoor Interactive Theme Park

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
6:45pm is a good guide line, cause tournaments never really start on time, so it will most likely start just after 7pm.
If you put 7pm, then it will start at like 7:30pm.

If we had more set ups this wouldn't be a problem. We just don't want it to go way past midnight. Hopefully GC see some big numbers and invest in another two cabinets.

@Chris: Not sure about that one character rule. Naruga and Sol won't be happy. :P
I can understand for a major tournament, but I think changing character should be fine.

Offline Somniac

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »
Using one character only will make Naruga finish higher lol

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
It's not about counter picking. Some players have more fun using different characters.
Like when Mike slaps us with Ken when he is bored with Akuma.
Like when you're not feeling Sagat, so you use Ryu or Akuma.

Just saying, that rules should be saved for a major GC tourney or something. If people are worried about getting counter picked, then it's they who should get better at the match up.  ;)