Author Topic: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 6:45PM Thur 17/2/11  (Read 6874 times)

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
Re: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 7.30PM Thur 17/2/11
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
Sakrua is a counter pick for Cammy now?..
Dictator a counter pick for Boxer?..
Rose a counter pick for Zangief?..

This game is pretty balanced. Tiers and counter picking are made up words by players who need an excuse as to why they lost.
Sol chooses characters he is comfortable with.

Please pick Akuma against Baz's Ibuki next time, I wanna see this.  ;D

Re: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 7.30PM Thur 17/2/11
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
Just go crown the night before, rack up free parking and you're set!

Best places to park (IMHO) is Whiteman St and Haig St across the road from Crown, or Munro st at the rear of south wharf ..both under the westgate fwy. Typically always parking there...esp. on weeknights.

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
Re: [Melb] GC SSF4AE Ranking Tournament #1 - 6:45PM Thur 17/2/11
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips Aaron. I will add it to the first post.  :D

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
Coming from someone who had to get the DOUBLE JEOPARDY rule changed?.. Same rule for everyone habib, you don't like it, don't rock up. :P
Personally I don't care, I will use Akuma.

I understand where Chris is coming from about getting everyone to improve. But you also can look at it like this...
If Naruga didn't play high level Yun, Blanka, Cammy, Chun li, and so on, we might not get this match up practice.
Just like with Sol's Dictator, Boxer, Akuma, Abel, Rose, Ryu, Evil Ryu, Rufus, Dan, and like 20 more...

Just saying, the argument could go both ways.  ;)

Offline SLoo|SoL

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
At the end of the day rules are rules while i will be honest i am not a fan of this rule at all i won't argue to get it changed as most people in Melbourne can only play one character (Not a bad thing) so back on topic everyone have fun tomorrow hope all goes well :)

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
At the end of the day rules are rules while i will be honest i am not a fan of this rule at all i won't argue to get it changed as most people in Melbourne can only play one character (Not a bad thing) so back on topic everyone have fun tomorrow hope all goes well :)

well said
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »
Why you getting all defensive for?.. :P

The start time suggestion was not to suit me. It was because there is only 4 Cabinets. If we get huge numbers and start at 7:15pm which rarely happens cause people like to eat just before start time; how long do you think a tournament is going to go for?..

Do you not remember the old BH days?..
I don't mind arriving at 5am and leaving at 5am, like I said, I never make personal requests, I am making sure the tournament is suitable for the whole community. Some people need to go to work the next day, and the last thing they need is to leave at 1-2am.

Also, if there is only 5 people left by the time the Grand Final rocks up, where is the hype going to come from?..
Chris can do what ever he wants, I am just making suggestions.

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
Heavys posts makes editors cry. Punctuation, your friend and mine.
Play Skullgirls

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
People can leave when ever they like, we can't stop them, or call it disrespectful. :P

At the end of the day, this is the first trial run and we'll see how all pans out. Alterations will be made in round 2 and possibly 3 until we get a good thing going.
If all goes well GC will invest in some more cabs and we can finish much earlier and start later, until then, everyone needs to do what they can to get there on time and promote this event.

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Yup... promotion is key to getting the big guys upstairs to give us what we want  8)
Melbourne Fighting Game Tournament Matches & Streams
Shadowloo.com | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter

Offline SLoo|SoL

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
I hope this tournament runs as smooth as possible tomorrow it will be a big thing for the Melbourne community once again good work to Chris for making it happen :)

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
People can leave when ever they like, we can't stop them, or call it disrespectful. :P
you miss my point but all good cya guys tommorow
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline hadouuken

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Great work Chris on getting this happening.

If everyone can turn up before 6.45 it will help Chris alot. 6.30 would be ideal so he can sign ppl up and get the brackets done.

This is also Chris' first solo run so im hoping everyone be patient and lend him a hand if need be..

with 4 cabs and (im guessing 40+) players double elim.. your looking at a good 4-5 hrs.. if not more...

Offline akirahat

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
First of all, Guys lets calm down.

I don't mean to take either side in particular (HW or Ali) but with all due respect, why can't we run it with one character for GC tournament given we have Boxhill tourney which allows you to change characters.

There is no real need to have two tourneys with the identical rules.
You can practice your main at GC tourney and use multiple characters in Boxhill if you want.

Tournamant is mostly run for the competing purpose.  Thus, usually the only REAL reason in tourney for switching character is to counter-pick and it's not because players get BORED using the same character.  The top priority for tournament is to compete and it is serious business.  Some people may want to have fun in tourney but you can do that in casual as well.

In addition, what Chris said DOES make sense.  I personally believe one of the reasons some of us is not as good as where they can be is because they don't stick to one character in tourney.

I once said to melb player he is S**T (no offence to him though  :-[) because he can't stick with one character.  Then he said it's boring just using one character.  My answer to that was, "Do you F**king expect to only have fun and do whatever you want and be one of the top players in Melbourne, let alone the world?"

Being really good at something does not come with just fun and happiness.  People who know the taste of salt and work hard to overcome by their best endeavour will only reign in the end.

For me, I hate to turtle but sometimes I have to if I don't want to lose.  Criticising the opponent's playstyle after losing the match is just pure rubbish.

At the moment, I'm doubtful I can make it to tomorrow's tourney but see how it goes.

P.S. Sorry Melb player for using your example...

andy edit: no need for names..
スパⅣAEで、10試合やって1、2試合勝ったのは勝ったとは言いません。そこんとこをしっかり理解しましょうオーストラリアの皆さん。

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
I've been calm the whole, just like everyone else here, I am just stating my opinion.   ;D
I was more concerned about the start time over that rule anyway.

Many players take public transport and they need to be on the last train which is usually just before Midnight, so that's why most people leave early, even before tourney is finished. As long as people show up, have fun, it's all good.

Hopefully in the coming weeks we can convince GC to get more cabs. So, tell your wives, tell your kids and tell your husbands.. cause we need some big numbers up in here.