Author Topic: Direct Capture Setups/Info  (Read 6679 times)

Offline TheMuso

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.themuso.com
Re: Direct Capture Setups/Info
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »
I think MJPEG (aka Motion JPEG) is considered to be a naverage intermediate codec for capturing to, however I don't know of any others I could recommend, unless Premier comes with one.

What I mean by intermediate codec, is a codec that you use for capturing and editing only, before doing the final transcode to H264 in an .mp4 container.

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
Anyway here's a first run of it. Still working out that weird juggle properties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKf_cPxkFeo

Benson, do you use Jpeg motion for your capture settings? I noticed it looked ugly in premiere, but when i converted to mp4 it looked alright. I uploaded it on youtube and it looks fugly on SD, looks alright in HD. Is there anyway to improve the default youtube SD quality? I mean, I have other vids that look really good in SD.

Yeah definitely wanna look into testing that quality. What are you  using to cap below is one straight from the Media Express program that comes with the shuttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_JYmpSzdbg

That's how one of mine come through when I used to use Media Express to record. Now I just use Wirecast's record to disk. Doesn't come up as good but doesn't make them into massive files either.

I convert it to a .flv before uploading. Youtube really rapes videos when they convert them to .flv on the site if you upload in another format. I Use AVS video converter because it was on my PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9lS9HhVc8 - How they come up from Wirecast

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »
Anyone looking for a standalone capture set up should look into the AverMedia Game Capture HD. Supports 50/60hz up to 1080i via component cables and has a 2.5" bay as well as USB. So you can capture onto it's internal HDD (if you choose to install one) or to an external USB disk.

GameCapture HD Product Page

It's no use to people who want to stream, but for just capturing footage to be edited/uploaded later it's one of the simpler alternatives. And only about 170-180$

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
To any PC players here, what are your FRAPS settings to get HD quality? Even Vegas settings would help? Thank you.
The 17 year young monster.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
If anyone wants to buy a BlackMagic Intensity (PCI-E version)

I'm looking at selling mine, $170 bucks, boxed with everything and 1-input 2-output HDMI splitter as well.

Offline Age

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Anyone looking for a standalone capture set up should look into the AverMedia Game Capture HD. Supports 50/60hz up to 1080i via component cables and has a 2.5" bay as well as USB. So you can capture onto it's internal HDD (if you choose to install one) or to an external USB disk.

GameCapture HD Product Page

It's no use to people who want to stream, but for just capturing footage to be edited/uploaded later it's one of the simpler alternatives. And only about 170-180$

That looks simple enough for me to try out, but I'm wondering what to do about monitors without component input, and how to avoid latency if it's a problem.

Offline J Lynx

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
Hey Age,

I got the Avermedia GameCapture HD a couple of weeks ago and it's quite good. I have it hooked up to my Asus monitor using a component to HDMI converter which you'll need to buy seperately though. When the recorder unit is just turned on ready to record and you are playing I notice a tiny bit of lag but once you actually press record there is no lag for me at all. I tried recording in 1080i however I got lots of interlacing (lines and stuff in the video) then I set my 360 to 720p and now it looks fine. Hope that helps!
A.K.A. Street Pussy
How'd you get to be so S-Rank?

Offline Age

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:17 AM »
What would be better? A splitter from xbox to monitor/capture or converter from capture to monitor?

What converter do you use J lynx?

Offline J Lynx

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
All I use is this converter:
http://www.qualitycables.com.au/hdmi-devices/hdmi-converters/component-video-to-hdmi-1080p.html

So my setup basically goes monitor hdmi cable into the converter, component cables running from converter to the gamecapture, and component cables running from Xbox to gamecapture.

That's probably the best way I can describe it without being right in front of it at the moment.
A.K.A. Street Pussy

Offline Age

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
Ouch, the converter is more costly than I expected.

Has anyone tried out Elgato's Game Capture HD? I looks like it would cover what I need without a converter.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/capture-convert/GameCaptureHD.en.html

Offline J Lynx

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
The converter is much cheaper on ebay, round about $50, but yeah it is a bit of an extra pain I agree.
A.K.A. Street Pussy

Offline Age

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
Ended up getting the Elgato one, I'm trying to test some stuff with it to see what the quality is like, unfortunately my macbook doesn't have 10.7 on it yet, so that will have to wait till july.

I did try it out with a different laptop though and it was pretty simple to set up. One problem I'm having is figuring out how to get the monitor to display correctly. When the capture device is involved, it will record the full screen, but the monitor will display a slightly cropped version. Hopefully there are some settings I can change to fix that.

Here's an example of best quality settings