Author Topic: [Melb] Galactic Circus RanBat Round 1 Results - 18/2/11  (Read 3127 times)

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
[Melb] Galactic Circus RanBat Round 1 Results - 18/2/11
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
Update:

Below is the results, and updated Battle Card System Stats! Enjoy.  ;D
http://bit.ly/fuKHcc

==================

Hey everyone, hope you all had fun tonight at the first ever GC RanBat. 32 entrants, which is pretty good considering it was the first GC event and let's not forget that everyone is playing Marvel! :P

Below is the top 8 until Chris posts the full results. Also, some of the pros/cons/tips.
Please feel free to leave any feedback so we can keep improving the GC RanBats.

1st. Somniac [Dictator]
2nd. TEC|SoL T [Abel]
3rd. CypherionX [Ibuki]

4th. TTC|ToXY [Akuma]
5th. Pen [Ken]
5th. Hyphen [C.Viper]
7th. Carnage [Adon]
7th. Naruga [Cammy]

Congrats to the top 3! Well done to Somniac for coming out of losers to win it.

Pros
- Run very smoothly
- Technician was on hand to fix things quickly.

Cons
- Chairs a little low
- No chairs for crowd members

Tips
- Before a match is over, you should tell the players that are up next to get ready to play. Instead of waiting the match is over, updating brackets, then calling up the next competitors. This will save even more time.

Offline VITRIOL

Re: [Melb] Galactic Circus RanBat Round 1 Results - 18/2/11
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:04 AM »
Ggs to Andrew, Carnage, Pal, Saiyan and Baz and congratulations Somniac on the victory.
Really wish I could stay to the end of these tournaments but an early start at work forbids me from doing so.

I have to say that even though this will probably be my highest placing in a tournament so far I'm still disappointed that I couldn't step up against Carnage and Baz. I have to stop panicking when I'm going against Carnage and his rushdown and the Ibuki vortex is something I have to work out. Still cant believe I fimbled on karakusa -> U1. Another thing that was brought to my attention and need to work on is my punishing and my tendendy to backdash all the damn time.

For the event itself, it was run smoothly and it was fun, once all the minor niggles are taken care of it will become a welcome mainstay in Melbourne's SF community. So major props to Chris Ho and the GC crew involved to organise this event.

cypheros

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
GGs to everyone I played yesterday.

Congrats Somniac for a first place finish coming from losers! Pipped me at the very last round to place in the grand finals and it was just an embarassing choke by myself. Well deserved win by you though! Thanks for the conversations and advice you gave during the night.

Sol ... good on ya chief for a 2nd place finish. Very strong and just too good. Humiliated me with a perfect in that last round against me  :( Well done and always a high finisher. Just exciting to watch all the time.

@Andrew ... Once you get more tournament experience, you'll get the nerves under control. I'd help with any matchup advice but I just don't know makoto's skill sets. Well you know I'm always approachable if you just want to have a general chat  ;D I've seen a huge improvement in your makoto though so I'm sure this won't be the only time you place high in a tournament. Keep up the good work!

@GC|Chris: Great work on running the show predominantly by yourself and also great support from Pyro and Ali who lent a helping hand and anyone involved in helping to run it smoothly. It's also nice to see the GC crew get behind you during your games.

Night was filled with mostly pros but the only con I could think of is the one-sided controllers. You guys are obviously aware of that and I'm sure that will get fixed in the near future.

Last note: A big welcome to Ali(combomaniac) from Adelaide into the Melbourne community. It's great to have another player of high calibre to join our community and looking forward to strong finishes in future ranbats by you mate. Hope to play with you more soon.

Offline hadouuken

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
Great work Chris + Ali + Pyro

things can only get better from here. 32 entrants is a great number given that mvc3 was launched.

congrats to top 3 and Som for taking out his first tournament.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:53 AM »
Good games to everybody and thanks to everyone who participated in this tournament. Was satisfied with my performance despite being the king fimbler :P

2nd time in as many weeks that I just missed out on a top 8 spot. Damn you Canage haha.. ITs good to see people have imporoved each outing and hope to see more of it in the coming weeks!

see you guys at the next touney!!

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
One other thing we need to look into is seeding.
When seeding the top 8, even while using two 32 man brackets, you should have those top 8 in the spots with the lowest numbers.

I will help you next time and explain it in person.

Reason I bring this up is Hweapons took on Som first round which shouldn't happen, and the winner played Naruga then ToXY. Very tough for the first few rounds.
All good though, first time, and we'll iron out these problems.

Hope that helps.  :D

Offline Somniac

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
The matches in this tournament were all insane, especially first up.
There was just so many good players playing buttercup matches, I can't remember the last time we saw that so early lol.
GGs to everyone I played, I got real lucky a lot of times to clutch it out.
My favourite moment was first round vs Heavy, 2 bars, we both jump close and do nothing for 5 seconds lol mind games!

Offline hadouuken

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
When seeding the top 8, even while using two 32 man brackets, you should have those top 8 in the spots with the lowest numbers.

I dont think there really is a need to seed top 8.. especially with only 32 players.. top 4 will usually suffice..

i normally only seed top 4 at boxhill..

and top 8 at big events like BAM etc..

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
gg guys was a great 1st tourney and im really happy that gc has finally started to head in the right direction i feel melbourne was crying out for another arcade to run tourneys. the seating was a little low but i found it fine (and i always complain about setups lol) main thing is buttons on the side and seating for spectator. I think that this will be better mainly for watching the good matches everyone will have clear view of the screen instead of having to push past ppl etc. i dont mind standing but i know others get a bit tired. Yesterday was just not my day and i feel lately that melbourne is getting tougher to place. I had the hardest first 3 matches lined up if i was to win and it feels as though in the past 3 tourneys we have had top player v top player 1st 2nd round. I understand that maybe one will not be seeded but yesterday was full on somniac was seeded yet he still had to face mole then toxy??? i think with time we will work it out but yea this never used to happen in vanilla days. Anyways again one match off top 8 really disappointed but again i lost to somniac and toxy so bit hard to complain both of those matches were very close gg guys.

Well done to SOL mate your doing me proud see you stick with your main and you did so well imo unlucky to wrap it up in the 1st match of the final.

somniac good shit mate youve been plucking away and finally nailed your first tourney win congrats (though i feel abit hard done by in our last two outings)

baz good work again mate good to see someone go from top contender to top 4 in the last 3 tourneys.I need to play you more these days we only get 4-5 matches at most.

Welcome to combomaniac look forward to playing ya mate as baz mentioned its good to have another strong player in melbourne especially a fei long which i dont think anyone in aus has tapped into the brokeness and this is sagats hardest matchup so i hope that we can learn from eachother.

hoppa guiles too soft!

all in all great tourney see you guys next gc tourney  :ggf: :ggf: :hk:
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

I dont think there really is a need to seed top 8.. especially with only 32 players.. top 4 will usually suffice..

i normally only seed top 4 at boxhill..

and top 8 at big events like BAM etc..

i disagree andy. The amount of strong players we have now has increased seeding is so that top players/performers dont play eachother and we have strong finals.
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
The brackets make it easy to seed 4, so with 2 brackets 8 seeded should be no problem.
1 top
1 bottom
2 in the middle basically.  :D

Offline hadouuken

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
The brackets make it easy to seed 4, so with 2 brackets 8 seeded should be no problem.
1 top
1 bottom

yup.. with 64 its easier to seed 8.. not so much with only 32..

as for top players meeting early on.. there is no such thing as an "easy road" to the finals.... 
if you want to pair up all good players with average players in the first round.. then all the good players will meet in the second stage of winners anyway.. the idea of us seeding top 4 is so that we dont get last tournaments winners playing each other early on..

in the end.. you need to be good enough to beat everyone to win..  worrying about who you will fight in the 2nd , 3rd or 4th round is pretty irrelevant..

on the good side.. this shows how much melb has improved as a whole.. many ppl are now able to challenge for a spot in the top 3 at any given tournament..

i think in the coming few months we will start to see many new upsets as ppl begin to level up newer/less popular characters as well..

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
Fair enough, I just figured since most of the time two 32 man brackets were used you could seed 8.  ;D

Offline hadouuken

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
Fair enough, I just figured since most of the time two 32 man brackets were used you could seed 8.  ;D

i'll show u the issue next thurs.. picture speaks a 1000 words.. hehe but a full 64 is fine to seed 8.. so we just need to get more ppl to come to the tournaments..

but seeding 8 in 32 man bracket isnt a good idea..

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
1 top
1 bottom

yup.. with 64 its easier to seed 8.. not so much with only 32..

as for top players meeting early on.. there is no such thing as an "easy road" to the finals.... 
if you want to pair up all good players with average players in the first round.. then all the good players will meet in the second stage of winners anyway.. the idea of us seeding top 4 is so that we dont get last tournaments winners playing each other early on..

in the end.. you need to be good enough to beat everyone to win..  worrying about who you will fight in the 2nd , 3rd or 4th round is pretty irrelevant..

on the good side.. this shows how much melb has improved as a whole.. many ppl are now able to challenge for a spot in the top 3 at any given tournament..

i think in the coming few months we will start to see many new upsets as ppl begin to level up newer/less popular characters as well..

i dunno man seeing toxy vs sol (example) in the 1st round or me vs somniac imo is wack especially when somniac then had to play naruga then toxy straight after you dont think theres someone on the other end of the bracket getting "The easy road"

but i do agree that you should have to face good players and not complain but im just saying that side of the bracket was rough and is extreme thats all i dont care if i have a good player to face 1st round or second but 3 in a row at the start of the tourney lol.