Author Topic: MvC3 tournament rules discussion  (Read 4022 times)

CPS2

MvC3 tournament rules discussion
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
Something that noodalls posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hBgW4pVEc

The game can recognise 3 (4?) directions at once, this makes for some mega stupid option selects.

Should "hitbox" controllers, keyboards, control pads, etc, anything other than a standard arcade stick just be banned?

edit: it definitely recognises 4 directions at once, and pressing left+right on a control pad with the pad+stick automatically blocks overheads and crossups. However it doesn't look like you can OS escape air exchange combos...

Re: MvC3 tournament rules discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
...why does it recognise so much stuff at the same time? Any idea what purpose its for?
Play Skullgirls

CPS2

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:25 AM »
...why does it recognise so much stuff at the same time? Any idea what purpose its for?

It's just an oversight, no purpose. I don't think they intended to give that kind of advantage to players who use certain controllers.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
Hope they patch it or something, sucks for people who don't use sticks.
Play Skullgirls

Offline Ichorid

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
Hope they patch it or something, sucks for people who don't use sticks.

While for now it sucks for people who do use sticks  :P

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
I hate it when tornaments ban a style of controller in a game when the user has no intent on abusing anything, espically when it's how they play the game. This reminds me of all the rage when those "stickless" arcade sticks were shown off at the end of last year becuase people could do SJC's and shit really easy, even though some other techniques were alot harder. Comming from a strong keyboard background i'd hate for this kinda shit not to be addressed in some way or another (either by a patch or tournament leeway) so that anyone can play how they want to.

This multiple direction shit does sound pretty crazy, but it is a marvel game after all :D

Offline JBHewitt

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
well if you're going to ban hitboxes you would have to ban pads as well. 

pads in conjunction with the analogue stick can have a similar effect.

Brisbane LAN: lansmash.com

CPS2

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
I hate it when tornaments ban a style of controller in a game when the user has no intent on abusing anything, espically when it's how they play the game.

It doesn't matter whether they intend to use it or not. The problem is they can use it, it gives them an unfair advantage, and it's impossible for judges to do anything about, other than ban those controllers.

This reminds me of all the rage when those "stickless" arcade sticks were shown off at the end of last year becuase people could do SJC's and shit really easy, even though some other techniques were alot harder.

This is nothing like that at all. You can SJC on an arcade stick. You cannot block in 2 directions at once on an arcade stick. It's not about making things easier or harder, the problem is that these controllers allow you to do extra things that an arcade stick cannot do, that are game-breaking.

Anyway, something to consider for tournament organisers who are working out what rules to go with.

Offline JBHewitt

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
It won't be a problem until someone comes first at a tournament with a hitbox style controller.

or a pad.

or anything that the old guard don't use.

personally i can't wait for someone to start using kinect style modified controllers and see the controversy fly...  *ZOMG HE CAN SUPER JUMP IN REAL LIFE! THE ADDED ADRENALINE BOOST IS CLEARLY OVER POWERED*

I think just saying no meta-keys, no turbo's etc is the only safe way so far.
Brisbane LAN: lansmash.com

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
I hate it when tornaments ban a style of controller in a game when the user has no intent on abusing anything, espically when it's how they play the game.

It doesn't matter whether they intend to use it or not. The problem is they can use it, it gives them an unfair advantage, and it's impossible for judges to do anything about, other than ban those controllers.

This reminds me of all the rage when those "stickless" arcade sticks were shown off at the end of last year becuase people could do SJC's and shit really easy, even though some other techniques were alot harder.

This is nothing like that at all. You can SJC on an arcade stick. You cannot block in 2 directions at once on an arcade stick. It's not about making things easier or harder, the problem is that these controllers allow you to do extra things that an arcade stick cannot do, that are game-breaking.

Anyway, something to consider for tournament organisers who are working out what rules to go with.

Yeah don't get me wrong I totaly agree with what you're saying here, It's an unfair advantage, I just wish it didn't have to be this way :(

Offline Alexk

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
Wow. This means that a pad player can block those high low assist combos. Like the one shown in the 'level up your game' guide. Man this game is gonna get the shit patched out of it.

Offline Isorropia

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
I don't think so alex, you can block crossups (< and > at the same time) but I don't think, even if you were pressing back and downback, that the game would let you block high and low at the same time. If it did that'd be......yeah.

Offline Alexk

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
Whoops! :-[. I did that talking thing again....shit....

Thanks for the clarification, Iso.

CPS2

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
I noticed in the recent MvC3 tournament announcement thread (in Sydney) it says "no glitches," but there's some pretty useful stuff like the damage/hitstun scaling reset glitch and whiff aerial exchange combo. Those shouldn't be banned imo.

But what about the haggar into spencer dhc that temporarily freezes the game? Or the glitch that makes characters float in the air?

Also there's still no mention of whether control pads or "hitbox" controllers that can block crossups and overheads are banned.

Offline Isorropia

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 06:35:08 AM »
While it says no glitches, there are exceptions.

The way Henry ran it on friday was hitstun/damage scaling ok, whiff aerial exchange ok, spencer/zero glitches were 1 warning then DQ if happens twice (to account for accidental activation).

Seems fair to draw the line at glitches that prevent the game from playing normally.