Author Topic: [Melb] Welcome Back!: Couchwarriors RanBat R1 - 5/3/11  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Loki

Re: [Melb] Welcome Back!: Couchwarriors RanBat R1 - 5/3/11
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »
Sure, nobody here is going to say "I'm not comfortable with paying $2", everybody on this forum has already decided whether or not they want to play the game, and a pot isn't going to make much of a difference, but I do conceptually like the idea of CW as the more casual gathering compared to CCH/Deakin, which are all about leveling up, the meetup where there's people who play different games (as in, more different than SF4 vs MvC3), and people can try out the games they don't currently play seriously, and I think having no pot the first month for a game encourages that. It's not about the amount of money, it could be $10 or 20c, it's the required weighting of "do I really want to put my hand back in my wallet?" vs "sure, why not try the shiny new game?". I'd also argue that for most of us, the game is new and shiny enough to build hype in and of itself.

Or at least, that's my current wacky theory, and as Loki said, obviously there would be a pot next month.

Honestly I don't mind too much either way, as mentioned, $2 is pretty minimal, so I'm fine with having it if it's what most people would prefer. It was simply what made sense to me in regards to the first event of the year, but I guess it can be argued from the other way too, if we want people to take MvC3 seriously we need to treat it seriously as well.

As for taking CW as the more casual event, I don't think that's wise to push for to be honest, considering it's the event with the most equipment and experience behind it, not to mention the fact that we seemingly have internet access at this new venue and might even be able to do things like regular streaming and the like. That mentality seems a waste of those opportunities.

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
End of the day $2 is a splash in the pan. if someone isnt willing to put 2 bucks in to play then whats the point of it. they will play the 1st tourney and wont bother the next. And imo those type of ppl wont be contributing to the community if this was the case then might as well make cw's total free entry because we dont wanna scare pot monsters away.
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline Loki

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:29 AM »
End of the day $2 is a splash in the pan. if someone isnt willing to put 2 bucks in to play then whats the point of it. they will play the 1st tourney and wont bother the next. And imo those type of ppl wont be contributing to the community if this was the case then might as well make cw's total free entry because we dont wanna scare pot monsters away.

Yeah that's a good point and at the end of the day it probably won't make that much difference.
If people want $2 entry for MvC3 as well I'm happy for that to happen.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I don't think you have to play 'seriously' to enter tournaments despite having an entry fee or not. I myself was a gamer who thought 'I'd just embarrass myself'. But I'm blending into the community really well even though I'm not much of a high achiever or performer. I mean seriously, If you play a certain game (or heck, be it a physical activity) and you've found out a whole bunch of other people playing the same game that you 'like' to play, why wouldn't you want to play together? I mean nobody is forcing you, I guess if you are a gamer and want that 'gamer' title in you, NOT to go to shame, at least come and spectate, We all cheer at awesome combos and get hype when someone does a comeback. You're not the only one. No one will tell you off (This isn't WoW)

And Melbourne community is on a good start because everyone is friendly and most likely share tips if you ask :)

Oh and x-factor Sentinel is broken :( We all agree.

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
On another note im really pleased that cw's is back :) cw are some of my fav tourneys i have more fun at these then the others i feel the atmosphere is really good looking forward to pyro on the mic and maybe ill jump on there for some shit talk :)
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline CARNAGE

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:01 AM »
as the greatest would say.... lets raise the steak!
I SHOULDA UPPERCUTTED!

Offline Loki

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
I've just found out that most likely Zan and Bugsimus won't be able to make this one, due to work and car troubles respectively. These guys usually provide two of the tournament setups, so I'm a little worried we might be low on setups.

You guys who usually bring your setups to things like Deakin and CCH, but not to CW, if you could please bring gear today that would be great. We will of course have the CW monitors and the like, so really what's most important is more Xboxes, games and sticks.

Thanks! See you all there!

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
Need player names again.

I did take a pic of the name list in both the Pools of MvC3 but...

who was the Haggar/Hulk/Sentinel player in one of the finals games with ToXY?

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
That would be Batasan.

Offline AlexM-D

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
Guys, I totally forgot to pay this month!, but I'll pay for this month next time  ;D.

I was running late for VF5 so I guess it slipped my mind  :P.

Loved the new venue btw, though I guess It's a bit far for some folks, but only 20 minutes for me as opposed to 45 for the convent  ;)

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
I liked it being right next to box hill timeout, let's me get some games of AE in on the same day
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:05 PM »
Made a thread for those who want to leave feedback on the new venue;
http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?topic=28796.0

Let us know what you thought.  :p:

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
Thanks everyone who organised this, I had a lot of fun, even though I got blown up in both games. GGs everybody.
My "chronicles of a scrub": http://beingascrub.com/