Author Topic: The X Report | Episode One  (Read 5676 times)

Offline Heavy Weapons

Re: The X Report | Episode One
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
I enjoyed this quite a bit.

TBH, I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the pilot was, however.

1) The opening credits were great.

2) I think the studio format where you are talking at the camera has taken away a lot of the dynamics that were present in the pilot. The content is interesting, but the visuals, and, frankly (sorry) the delivery of the dialogue was a bit boring. You should ditch these sequences completely and concentrate on live interviews like the one with Toxy and Somniax at around the 4 minute mark.

3) If you need to have long monologues from the host, consider doing them as voiceovers above footage of the games you are talking about.  Mix up some screen caps with some live action shots of the players doing interesting stuff, like you do at the 2 min mark. That way your visuals will re-enforce what the host is saying, and you can kill two birds with one stone.

4) It's too long. Fighting gamers have especially short attention spans. Hopefully as you do more you'll be able to cut time as you get better at delivering lines. Perhaps a sharper script rather than adlibbing the voiceovers will shave of quite a few minutes. For example, at 8:35

"at shadowloo.com the link will be somewhere on the page I don't know where I'm gonna put it yet... next up is CCH um... also known is Chris' Club House... ah Chris doesn't like that name though so but we keep calling it that it's not gonna change anytime soon um (pause) first up, sorry urgh, we apologise to everyone who went to the Collingwood venue the organisers at Collingwood double booked the venue um with another group um so we had to go to the Fitzroy library which wasn't too far well it was walking distance but it's still inconvenient for a lot of people um so um apologies for that and hopefully um they will compensate [?] um next time when we need the venue... alright first up we got the super street fighter 4 tournament. First place TTC Toxy  again"

That all went on for about a minute, when "at shadowloo.com. Next up is Chris' Clubhouse, which was held at Fitzroy Library this week due to an unfortunate double booking. Once again, TTC Toxy won the super street fighter tournament..." would have done better and used more active language.

Also, a lot of that detail really isn't interesting to people outside the Melbourne scene. If you want to really grow your audience you have to focus upon stuff which will keep gamers around the world captivated by your shows. You guys have that kind of content, focus on it in your shows, and leave the detailed community stuff for Melbourne players to face to face stuff at the events themselves, or to a mailing list or your website.

Just a few hints, not meaning to criticise to much. Keep up the awesome work.

i understand your point of view but i think your going bit too deep into this. he aint sandra sully bro lol....And its the 1st show !
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline Mice Elf

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
Hey Ali, haven't had a chance to watch it yet but any possibility of getting this on iTunes as a vodcast?

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »
Not sure how well this will work on a Vodcast..
For those who have watched it... what do you think?...

I know the interview parts could work, but need to work on the solo part I think..

Meeks

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
I think you mentioned in your vid that you were expecting to co-host the show with special guests, and it's definitely something I would like to see. I think the success with The Excellent Adventures with Gootecks and Mike Ross was that they could bounce off each other's humour and actually talk about the games/scenes and have either a shared or conflicting perception of those what's being talked about. I guess that's why the interview sections were much more favourable viewing from everyone's opinions.

Offline KellyNUTS

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
Awesome video!!
Definitely with meeks, u gotta make sure u have a great back and forth with your co-host! Dunno how broad u guys are gonna be with the show, but if your gonna include alot/all of the popular fighting games, would be cool to get a co-host that mains different games than yourself. For example with Marvelous Adventures, I find it great and more entertaining that Gootecks is a n00b in MvC3.
Would be great if u could maybe split the screen when ur interviewing and show off some of the footage of the game the players are talking about at the same time as the interview.
Also hope u stick with a nice wall mural like that for a background at your new place, looks good imo.

Bring on Episode 2!! :p:
"Now just stand still. Move, and the wound will be deeper." - Leona Heidern

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 01:52:39 AM »

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Haha, very cool Eagle, very cool.  8)

Offline Just-S

• Event Organisers
  • SUBJ3CT 64432B
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dabosslogic.com
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »
For those waiting for episode 2, I am uploading it now, though it may take a while.
If you are night crawler, then hang around and watch it as soon as it's uploaded, if you need your beauty sleep, then check it out tomorrow morning, or at work.

Thanks!

[EXC logged in on Kode's account]  :p:

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »
Blame this 3rd world internet we have in Oz! >.<

It's at 60% at the moment, so who knows... maybe 1:30-2am?..  :k:

Offline EXC355UM