Author Topic: [ALL] Tourney sound setup idea  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Gamogo

[ALL] Tourney sound setup idea
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
Guys I wanted to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pj5V7AESac

Note the setup. They are using a stereo hub or splitter from a mixer so players can jack in their own headphones for matches.

I think this would be worth implementing for tournies provided the gear could be sorted. I'm thinking definitely for Shadowloo Showdown II and also OHN9. Take the sound feed and run it into a mixer and split one of the outputs  to dual stereo outputs so the players can wear headphones using one of these:

I think this would really assist players by giving them a clear and direct sound feed while also outputting to the event big screen speakers for spectators.

It would also be possible using BenQ screens for bracket matches assuming the Xboxes connected to screens via HDMI. You could then attach one of these adapters (pictured below) to each screen's built in stereo-out socket. We could then ask players (if they like) to bring their own headphones to the event.

The stereo > dual stereo adapters are inexpensive and can be had for around $5. I think it would be quite affordable to pick up a bunch and simply attach them to each setup as we typically have a set of desktop speakers (that connect via stereo sockets) on setups that don't have built in speakers anyway.

Tournies are generally pretty noisy and are flooded with all sorts of sonic distractions which while part of the experience, can also be pretty annoying when you're trying to focus. This would help players immerse themselves better by giving them clear sound but also (depending on the headphones used) help blot out external noise. On the finals or main setups, we'd still have the traditional output for all to hear by way of additional splitting via a mixer (or even another splitter).

Its always kind annoyed me that the TE sticks on Xboxes don't also carry game sound (they only transmit voice comms) to the stick so one can just plug in their own headphones, though this is by design as they only have a USB channel to send basic data across. This splitter idea would make this possible however.

Thoughts? I'd really like to see this happen and I'm sure many other players would dig it too. While I can't assist with SS2, I'd be happy to chip in with OHN9 to try and make this possible.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Re: [ALL] Tourney sound setup idea
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
This has actually cross my mind before. I personally find the sound a key component for SSFIV.

To add to that tho, I'de make sure that the people who wish to use headphones bring a long enough cable to use them. As setups are not always located so close at times.

For most of our setups tho you would need to split the sound 3 ways as there are already speakers using that port, but need to offer 2 addtional ports for each player if needed without having to mess with anything.

Also there will be and issue of volume control without the use of a mixer which kinda complicates and makes it a bit more expensive then just the adaptors.
Melbourne Fighting Game Tournament Matches & Streams
Shadowloo.com | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Loki

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
The Couch Warriors bag actually already has a few of these already, we bought them when we had to run an event at a noisy nightclub. With a few more cables and things we could do this if it's going to be something people want.

There is always the issue of if one person wants to use headphones and the other doesn't though, you'd probably want to feed into the speakers as well as the headphone splitter.

Offline Slapper Joe

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
As above.  Most of our setups have these and a set of headphones if the player wishes (only one per setup though). 

But they never get used.

Offline CactusDragon

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
This would be very good for Marvel.

Knowing when your opponent is calling an assist or what they are doing while you are flying around the top of the screen is hard without sound.

Offline TheMuso

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.themuso.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
I think this would work best with monitors that have speakers and get audio via HDMI, and if there is a head to head setup. That way, each player has their own audio connection, and can adjust the volume to their own liking.

I support this idea too, because SSFIV and MVC3 sound can tell you a lot without you having to look at your metre gauges for example.