Author Topic: OK this is doing my head in :( I suck... i need a SENSEI!!!!!!!  (Read 1999 times)

shmickmik

Hey all :)

Ok this is in no way bragging but i just want to let it be known i have completed both challenge modes in ssf4/sf4/mvc3/dc vs mk/ some BB.

So my execution isn't what's to blame here.. if i can get a combo started then i can finish it no worries.

It's GETTING IN that annoys the hell out of me! Whenever i am playing ppl on mvc3 for instance (same goes for ssf4), i can tell they know only one silly bnb and are spamming assists or one move for example. But i have no idea how to get into close proximity of the opponents character without eating 100 combos prior.

So.. i can TELL this person is going to jump at me with wolvering for example.. then he is going to call sent drones and do it again and again and.... but i have no idea how to get out of it! I can push block but he comes back again.. i can cross counter assist but im still in the same position just with a new character.

It's not the game(s) its not lag its me i know that lol but i have no idea how to even TRAIN to beat these stupid habits. In SSF4 i just don't know what to DO in a match. It sounds so basic but its the one part i am having problems with :(

To put it simply my main 2 issues are :

1) Getting in on an opponent and doing what 99% of people online do, and that is apply constant pressure. When I seem to do it they knock me out of it instantly and then they go ahead and do it lol

2) When i do finish a combo or knock somebody down, i have no idea what to DO afterwards. Its character/game specific i realise that, its just frustrating.

Sorry to anyone i have rage quit on in either games :( I have spent a bit of time and $ modding a stick.. buying guides.. and spending time in training modes for hours. Then i will get steamrolled by a flowchart ryu in ssf4 or wesker assist spammers in mvc3. I really don't want to give up on these games but i have no idea wtf to do next!

END RAGE RANT lol

Re: OK this is doing my head in :( I suck... i need a SENSEI!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »
Just change whoever your current 3rd char is to haggar and problem solved

Ok maybe not - Would be best to tell us what team you are running so people can help from there

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
Caveat Emptor...I am not that good, but I do have some observations:

In this game you need to jump alot more than most other SF games, Air-blocking and greater air mobility in general fixes the primary reason to not-jump in Sf4, that is, losing control of your character. Jump, jump and super jump.

Look at how your opponents are getting in, this can be done by playing a keep-away team at first, if you're any good you make sure to make them earn that get-in.

Be creative with your assists, don't spam them  but make sure they cover your ass while getting in your opponents. This is why Sentinel is a best as an assist (and obv as point) since his drones are slow enough for most characters to be covered while they dash in. (Or if your a character with a teleport, to cross up)

Hope it helps...I'm one of those who knows only BnBs pretty much...haha, but man do I love getting in, in this game.

Edit: with a knockdown, if you cannot do an OTG for whatever reason make sure to make an ambigious block situation, just like any other street fighter game...its just that this game you get alot more options than 'jumping medium'. For example my team is Zero, Hulk, Sent, so I go for a cross-up with his Jump  :h: and call out an assist, or stay on one side of them, call an assist then command dash to the other, or do :h: command dash right on top of them or  TK  :dpf: :h: on top of them. There's more I'm not mentioning and I'm sure once you list your team people can educate you on your options.

shmickmik

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the detaile reply shadowsoul :)

And sorry for not listing my current team earlier.. i first started with x23/dante/sentinel and then i started swapping around everytime i lost thinking "it was the team and not me". However i have pretty much settled on my current team which is Wolverine/Akuma/Dante.

Wolvie is so much fun when you jump in and constantly pressure the opponent and use Tatsu assist to keep them busy while wolvy jumps back in and has another go :P Although when people advance guard i find it hard to get back in with wolvy.

I am finding with Dante that if i buffer a normal before inputting teleport the opponent can not see dante virtually teabag the ground before teleporting and they dont really expect it.

If anyone is looking for an online training partner then i am more then happy to be that person :P

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
Ok so now you have mentioned your team we can get to work :)

First thing to know is, everyone has your problem of either not being able to get in or not being able to keep someone else out. Most of the time people are asking the wrong question, it's not "how do I get in", it's "how do I get in, against THAT". This game, like every other vs series is one which is very complex. You have a lot of options available to you at a lot of different times, as does your opponent, and if you don't know what to do against all those options then you'll continue to struggle until you learn them. Don't look for one big question, look for lots of little ones.

First thing I think you need to do is change your team order (unless of course you have specific reasoning to keep it that way). I think you should be going wolv/dante/akuma, and the reasoning is because akuma tatsu will be the assist you use more often to help gain ground and to start mixups/apply pressure. If he takes a hit (and boy does he take a hit), you don't want him coming in second and losing all that red health.

Getting in with Wolvie can be a difficult prospect for this team, because there are no good long distance lockdown assists to use (something like doom beam assist). If you want to get in you are really going to have to think about what your opponent is doing and how you can make them whiff. Think about what space they are controlling with their assists and how you can avoid that completely. Wolv doesn't have an airdash or any notably good air specials that move him forward outside of drill, so if you have to take to the air you'll have nj, sj, and then drill or divekick. Divekick is a great move that causes the opponent to bounce on hit if they are in the air, and can combo on hit, but is punishable on whiff, so you do have to use it in situations where you think they will not punish you. If you don't know how to wave dash you will have to learn it, he has a fast ground dash that you need to utilize to stay in the opponents face.

What assists are giving you trouble? If it is drones, when sent is still out on the screen you can hit him and the drones will dissapear, if the drones are out you can duck them full screen, or you can sj over them. If it is an assist like tron/haggar, you will need to bait them out and punish them (most useful thing you can do against someone who spams an assist is to bait and punish, they take so much damage in this game). Akuma has a very damaging assist kill with simply beam super xfc beam super, kills off normal health chars. Wovl has a harder time killing off assists, but once they call their assist you can dash into range and call akuma to lockdown and then either dash in low (c.A) or instant overhead (jf.A at point blank range). This will combo into tatsu if you called tatsu before you did the mixup, and after you can dash and launch into combo.

Overall though, to get better you have to be thinking all the time about the things that are giving you trouble. Go into training mode, set the dummy to record and experiment with finding ways to punish, then go put them into practice. Muscle memory takes a long time to set in though, so you won't be able to pull it off in matches straight away (if you're anything like me anyway, it takes me a long time to change habits in fighting games), just try to remember to try it at every point you can, even if it means losing 10-0.
Stop sandbagging.

shmickmik

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
Thanks guys :) I am so glad that there is a forum like this that has such helpful people on board. I should add that i am now using sent instead of dante so its

Wolverine/Akuma/Sentinel

Sent's assist is gdlk when used with wolvy! Not to mention Akuma's tatsu is good for keeping the op busy while you berserker slash behind them :P

I will play a few games tonight and upload them to youtube so you guys can see any (if at all) progress in my game :)

PS is it alright if i add you on XBL Tom and Shadowsoul? I don't hassle peepz online but it wouild be good to see an experienced player whoop my ass haha

Cheers again guys :)

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
Of course, I'm happy for any marvel player to add me.

The more people that want to learn the stronger everyone gets.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Same same...I'm actually ssjfirzen on xbl. I am not very good! But I like to think I know my weaknesses and how to improve them, which is what all people in fighting games should learn...and hell I think fighting games are one of the few genres where I enjoy losing (most of the time) because sometimes it means i've learnt something new!