Author Topic: [Syd GGS] 18 Mar 2011 - SSF4AE Tournament 1v1  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Alexk

Re: [Syd GGS] 18 Mar 2011 - SSF4AE Tournament 1v1
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
Yup, ill raise Johnny funds by entering the tournament.

I'm in for Marvel casuals too.

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:31 AM »
AtomicX is correct.
$10 goes towards using machines, including a free play period after the tournament.
$5 goes towards a prize pool for top3 winners.

$15 may sound like a steep price, but consider that if we just played casuals all night, people are guaranteed to use more than $15.

Just the amount of casuals can fit in after the tournament can equal to more than $15 worth of credits.

I know myself can use more than $15 worth in about 1hr playing against HB.

GC in Melb can probably afford to have those $5 deals, because they generate revenue from other games, as they are a Game Center.

GGs not being a full fledged Game Center, means its only form of revenue, is from SSF4 and more or less Tekken.
People need to understand that GGs as a Card Shop, and the Arcade Machines, are financially 2 different entities.

Leia and Sneek (machine owners) dish out money to provide the best quality machines and service in Sydney, and all we ask, is for people to help support them.

If after reading that, and $15 still seems unreasonable, then I will talk to Leia and Sneek to see on what other arrangement we can come up with.

CPS2

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »
-Saturdays at GGs used to be $10 (for people who brought equipment) or $15 at a regular price. This allowed us to play from around 2pm to late.

-"Rent" makes sense when it's consoles. We don't expect to plug in consoles and play for free, so an amount to play per hour is reasonable.

-"Rent" does not make sense when it's an arcade cabinet that is always there, always available for $1 per game.

$10 goes towards using machines, including a free play period after the tournament.
$5 goes towards a prize pool for top3 winners.
I'd like to see the actual math you used to arrive at this. It's less than $6 per person at cost with 2/3 games and double elim. $10 per person should cover cost of the machines and a prize pool (of $4 per person).

Henry, on a side note, can you please remove the word "♥♥♥♥♥♥" from your signature. Show some professionalism for fucks sake.

Offline robsux

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
As a side event, Humanbomb vs Robsux first to 5 (Gamerbee style?). 

Henry can we do this, maybe before the tourney? 

Trame Frappe

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
Hmm, ok. So if it were to be scaled back to say $10 a throw for folks, that would likely impact the winner's pot?

Perhaps my problem is that I'm looking at GGs as a traditional arcade of sorts, which doesn't really fit.

I am curious though as to how things would pan out in terms of a reduced price if we instead paid for our games ($1 per game) but still contributed $5 or so to register for entry. That way, that $5 from each player could be divided up for the winner's pot and GGs still makes money by way of an organised tournament bringing in guaranteed paying players on the AE machines.

Does anyone know how the Tekken guys run their tournies?

Also, nothing harsh towards you Lord Henry, I appreciate you taking the time to organise these things and understand that you have to strike a middle ground with the GGs guys. My angle here is trying to find a way in which the $15 price tag of entering could be reduced so as not to deter folks otherwise interested in having a shot while still accommodating a winners Johnny's pot and allowing GGs to make a buck.

$5 and paying to play your games might be a solution, but I'm not sure how that would work with brackets and so on. Though if winner stays on their machine, things might roll through nice and fast. Then again, pay to play means the winners of matches fork out more, lol.

Perhaps its worth a try? I hear a few folks grumble about the $15 entry tag which combined with Melbourne's $5 a throw is why I raised this issue. I don't intend to stir any shit, moreso get some opinions on how we can find a better middle ground which doesn't deter players for what are perhaps avoidable reasons.

Again, thoughts? $5 entry, pay to play? Might work out more expensive for some, and if you go two and out its cost you $7 which is kinda close to scaling entry with free-play back to $10 anyway. I'm still keen to hear people's ideas on pricing though. After all is said and done with my waffle, maybe $10 is a nice middle ground. Free play, pot and GGs gets their loot.

I feel $15 is deterring people. Even if they are attracted to the social and hype aspect of playing some matches at the arcade and don't expect to lay down the smash, $15 could be better spent meeting at Galaxy World or GGs on other days to play some paid games. $10 (or $5 and pay to play) might help sway them to figure "bugger it, $10 for a few free games and a chance to tango with some heavy weights - I'm in" but who knows?
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
tekken tounry are $5 entry and 75:25 split for 1st and 2nd
retired as best sent in aus
no more umvc3 time for sfxt

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
tekken tounry are $5 entry and 75:25 split for 1st and 2nd

Do they then pay for their tournament matches or are the machines set to free play?
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
u don't pay for the tournament game, been in like 2 tounrys - got 0-2 but was nice to know what it's like , yousef is koool . there is no freeplay afterwards well not the ones iv been in
retired as best sent in aus
no more umvc3 time for sfxt

Offline ABM|monmi

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »
Financially, I don't think the machines at ggs are returning much. Its busiest day is on Friday and pretty much empty during the rest of the week as everyone plays on Galaxy now. Why we willingly support Galaxy with crap machines I'll never understand.

If we as players can organize more casual meets at ggs as Shane suggested in another thread and give the GG's arcade owners more revenue per week then maybe Henry can work out a deal with them to lower it to 10$ or 5$ per  tournament.
[16:06] <@humanbomb> stick with viper mon
[16:07] <@humanbomb> you are not good enough to learn new chars xd

AtomicX

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
$5 and paying to play your games might be a solution, but I'm not sure how that would work with brackets and so on. Though if winner stays on their machine, things might roll through nice and fast. Then again, pay to play means the winners of matches fork out more, lol.

AE tournaments so far the machines have been on event mode. So a best out of 3 set you'd have to pay maximum 3 dollars as the game goes back to the title screen after each match. So if you went 2 and out you'd pay maximum 11 dollars, and if you kept winning you'd pay way more than $15. I don't think pay per play in a tournament is a good idea either, no incentive to win then!

I go to both Galaxy and GGs during the week. I was at GGs last night, I didn't see any of you guys there!  :P

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
CPS2 - You are forgetting the 1-2hrs of free play after the tournament. Think of it as, how many times can we lose to Jonny in 1-2hrs?
Also, why have a go at my signiture? Have professionalism? What I have as a signiture should not matter.
Professionalism only applies when there is payment invoved. ie. I am being paid to do things in that regard, which I am not. My signiture is sort of an in-joke, calm the fuck down. I'll change it just so you can feel better.

Gamogo - As AtomicX pointed out, pay per play would not work mathematically at all.

BKsama - The reason Tekken tournaments are only $5, is because the machines have already made their money back because people play them, in which obviously SSF4AE has not. It's an investment after all, hence when they get their $ back from buying the equiptment, then prices will obviously lower.

Rob - By the looks of tings, we won't have a tourny, but FT5 is welcome. I wanna FT5 you and HB too!

At the end of the day, I don't personally set prices for tournaments! I appreciate everyones input and suggestions, and the only thing i can do, is pass it along to Leia or Sneek.

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
LOL i just realised my last reply was at 02:02:02~~ :o

Offline vindk8

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
If AE @ GGs is so dead 6 days out of 7 why doesn't management do something about it?

Right now your competition has:

1. better location
2. some dodgy cabs
3. better value if your card is topped up on Tuesday and Thursday for 5 round matches ($20 buys $50 credit, 50/2.20 = 22.7/20 = $1.13 per game

Obviously location cannot be changed, the cabs at GGs are superior to the competition so the only factor that can be controlled is price.

If you are the local video rental store and you know a lot of people go to the movies on Tight A$$ Tuesdays and your store is dead do you:

a. Leave your prices the same
b. Drop your prices to below your competition to entice people to come in

On slow nights, why not try $10 free play from 6-9 or $1 for two plays or something along those lines. You aren't making money from the machines during that period anyway and $10 x 10+ people > $1 x 0

I'm looking at the signup list for tomorrow and it is obvious that the current strategy isn't working out so it may be time to look at something else. I've just given you guys a quick and free (like HB) SWOT analysis. Hopefully it gives you a few ideas.

And to those guys saying 'support ggs only' or 'why is everyone going to another place'  these are the same people I see at the competition's place all the time. I support GGs, and I've been there many times, but I also don't want to be standing at GGs on my own because no one else is there.

Offline ABM|monmi

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
Yeah Vince, reason I go to Galaxy nowadays is because I know for sure people will be there. I am after all making an hour long commute and I don't want to waste my time going to GGS if only 1 or 2 guys will be there at best.

I wasn't saying 'support ggs only' or anything like that. I just thought of Shane's suggestion and thought it would be helpful to the problem presented.

Much <3.
[16:06] <@humanbomb> stick with viper mon
[16:07] <@humanbomb> you are not good enough to learn new chars xd

Offline jarop

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
If we want a more robust AE scene at GGs, the best way forward would be to provide some sort of incentive for players to all go at the same time rather than rocking up and taking the chance (which more often than not is a no-go anyway) I believe.

I know for a fact we're pending approval from management to get Saturday afternoons going again and assuming space/management permits there's no reason to say other days can't have the same. Speaking to a few who have ran events for the community in the past, the main issue is trying to organise and mainain meet-ups as well as balancing... well, other parts of life. It's a massive commitment.

Sydney has a fairly large community with many eager and talented players, but if you take into account the primary business GGs receives, I don't think it's fair to expect anything in return given how insignificant our input is against the TCG/Tabletop players (i could be wrong here, i'm just assuming). Friday night is a great initiative to play, but I can understand newer players finding it a daunting, over-whelming thing to commit to without much prior experience. I know for me, even now when i can ALMOST consider myself competition i'm still not expecting to clutch a tournament win, but simply trying to gain as much offline experience and networking with good players. Expansion and awareness of the scene will be a good way to get more people playing, and more people playing is a good way to get GGs to give more to us in terms of pricing. If we want GGs to give us the deals, it goes without saying we'll have to give a bit back in terms of revenue. I reckon the best way forward is to organise other meet-ups, maybe attracting gamers that show affinities to different games, with the AE cabs as sort of that bonus that comes with making the trek out.

Saying that, I haven't exactly been around here that long so this could be complete garbage, but that's the impression i've got (and hope to act upon with the Saturday sessions should i be given the okay to organise them). I'm honestly under the impression though that instead of critiquing what we've got we should be looking forward to up our involvement as players, rather than stream-lining to the select few that keep things afloat on a weekly basis

... and i'll be there tomorrow night. :D
PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS