Author Topic: MVC3 patch  (Read 5322 times)

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
MVC3 patch
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:35:21 AM »
So the game got patched.
First thing people noticed (and tested)
*Sentinel ~900k health...thats one heck of a nerf...

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
Re: MVC3 patch
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Yeah, it's true, just tried it out now.
What a joyful day!  :p:

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »
On the one hand it'll force me to actually learn sentinal (or another character) since having low health brings him to a mortal plane.

On the other hand, I think a major thing with fighting games is letting players figure out how to beat the broken thing, and have a metagame evolve rather than be patched out.

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »
Got to remember he still does MAJOR damage. So still a threat, but it does help a little.
Wonder if Phoenix still hurts...

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:44 AM »
On the other hand, I think a major thing with fighting games is letting players figure out how to beat the broken thing, and have a metagame evolve rather than be patched out.

It took Justin Wong a weekend to figure out Sentinel.. if any of you guys remember his "this is the easiest and cheapest game ever made" tweets it was done after Floe bodied him with Sentinel (I'm guessing level 3xf...) on release day. He started tweeting how much he liked this game after he put in the lab time to figure out how to beat Sent.

This patch is dumb and I would say that about any balance change done this quickly... look @ the Final Round top 5 and tell me how many of those top 5 teams have Sent.

1. Combofiend (She-Hulk, Taskmaster, Spencer)
2. EG.Justin Wong (She-Hulk, Amaterasu, Tron Bonne)
3. Marn (Magneto, Zero, Sentinel)
4. DMG.PR Rog (Dante, Storm, Chun-Li)
5. EMP.Twisted Jago (Wesker, Dante, Trish)
5. RyRy (Magneto, Dormammu, Sentinel)

2 out of 6, Compare that to Winter Brawl... You guys really think people were going to keep Sent on after seeing how easy Justin and Combofiend tore through them? Clockwork and Clarkey D have been getting top 3 in WNF without Sent too...

Save the kneejerk shit for mmos. Funniest thing is this doesn't change how scary sent is with xfc3, and doesn't reduce his effectiveness in online lag, which is where a lot of complaints are coming from about sent from non tourny players.

If anything should've been changed it should've been xfactor getting toned down.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »
This will also mean you can not recklessly use Sent as an assist when ever you like, because he can easily be killed now with the 1.5x damage boost as an assist.
Anyone who uses Sent now can still do major damage with him, especially with XF lv.3, but they will also need to 'think' now.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »
In all honestly they fucked up.

Sent's a giant, a tank, he's not Akuma. You don't give someone pixie health when they can get hit by an instant overhead by nearly the entire cast and his massive hitboxes leave him vulnerable to other stuff.

Nerf his dmg output, lower his xfactor strength bonuses which are the biggest in the game, tone down x-factor itself, don't turn a giant into a pixie.

Don't know if I'll bother to play this game if it's going to be subjected to World of Warcraft kneejerk re-balancing. I already dropped Sent pretty much.. I'm just disgusted as a fighting game fan.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:21:33 AM »
I guess we'll just wait and see how it turns out in the long run. I am honestly surprised there was a patch so quickly though.

Offline ToXY

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:34:34 AM »
Sentinel has now joined Sagat in the marshmallow club.

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »
'Your face is pretty soft.'
"Hey...My face is pretty soft!"

(for the internet humour deprived http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDn2Xp5ctQM )

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:38 AM »
Sentinel has now joined Sagat in the marshmallow club.

Softinel!  :p:

@Shadowloosoul: That video is awesome!

Offline laiger

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:28 AM »
WTF? This is way too early to be patching stuff for MvC3. On top of that it makes no sense to be nerfing sentinel's health by this much. He's already easy enough to open up due to his massive hitbox, now anything that touches him will for the most part end in death. If this constant patching thing keeps going on I'm going to be done with this game.

Offline shadowsoul

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:10 AM »
I like\hate that he now can't be spammed out as a assist...catching him in a beam hyper should actually mean death now.

Offline ToXY

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
WTF? This is way too early to be patching stuff for MvC3. On top of that it makes no sense to be nerfing sentinel's health by this much. He's already easy enough to open up due to his massive hitbox, now anything that touches him will for the most part end in death. If this constant patching thing keeps going on I'm going to be done with this game.

Exactly what i was thinking, it's way too early to even think of having balance changes right now, especially drastic ones like nerfing 395k life off of a character who at top level play wasn't even winning tournaments.

I'm not happy with Sentinel getting nerfed since i use him myself, but the thing I'm worried about the most is that since there's already a balance patch just after a month of the game coming out, it makes me think that balance changes could possibly be happening on a regular basis which is really bad if you're sticking to a certain team/character then they get changed over night with no warning what so ever (especially bad if it happens just before a big tournament like evo etc)

When a game first comes out i like to stick to one character/team for a long time and learn everything about it before i even bother to use different characters/teams but if random patching like this happens it could be risky to play like this, if balance patches start to come out regularly I'd say it would be a good bet to lean more than 1 team and not put all your eggs in one basket.

If they were to nerf anything the only thing that should be nerfed is X factor not the characters, that is what makes people think that Sentinel and Dark Phoenix are broken, without X factor they are no where near as effective. but i have a feeling Capcom are really proud of their X factor and won't be touching it any time soon.

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:01 AM »
when they nerf characters it takes the life outta the game imo. end of the day that dog rapes sent already imagine whats gonna happen now that he has low health.... im not that into mvc but it seems sent has no real tricks or shikis he's just a big tank now with those type of characters the minute you away their balls they have nothing becuase thats what they are about.... sent at top level imo now will have no chance. the character will now be a wasted slot. why is that capcom always does this they seem to not like tank type characters they rather have some little stupid gimmick character strong fukn shits me. end of the day sent isnt the only broken character in mvc why not nerf phoenix nerf wolverine who basically dial a combo... it really is idiotic to patch a game when not even probably 20% of the game has been discovered. thats my 2 cents 
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!