Author Topic: In Korea - Playing SSFIV AE  (Read 15069 times)

Re: In Korea - Playing SSFIV AE
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 02:46:38 AM »

1st - Infiltration (AKUMA) & HydeBuffy (ADON)
2nd - Poongko (SETH) & "Justin" (HONDA)
3rd - Laugh (RYU) & Oota (HAKAN)

he goes by 'zerstin'

Offline SLoo|SoL

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
That's awesome Hyde is a good friend of mine tell him i say hi next time you see him!

Also good work overall so far Patrick keep repping Aus with that sharp Honda :D

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVl-x-bodSo

hydeInfiltration (hydeBUFFY and Infiltration) vs WorldClass (Zerstin and Poongko)

Grand Finals match.
16 April 2011 SSF4AE 2v2 match.

Unfortunately there is no vid for the other teams. So wanted to see PhatKau's match :P

Offline phatkau

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:17 AM »
Beer, soju and hangover got in the way -_-' sorry!

Post on Cafe [id] with a couple of pics/vids coming later today/tomorrow.

Here's one in the meantime - the Poongko Seth Chant!
http://youtu.be/qgV4UUDG2HY

Korea's version of "ON-LINE-TO-NEE!!", this definitely has be adopted by us at SS2011 as well.

It's actually from Poongko's real name.. 풍림꼬마(Poong Lim Ko Ma)
"POONG - LIM - KOH - MAHH!!!"

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
That's badass.
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
Every time ToXY does Heavy Kick with Akuma we should all go "TOX-E".
Oh wait, we do have a Melbourne chant. It's called "Uppercut"

Offline Somniac

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
I think those chants started back in SF4 with Online Tony, everytime he'd do the river dance they'd say "ON (1)-LINE(2)-TON-Y(3)"
For 3s it used to be every kara palm with Yun was "EH(1) EH(2) EHHHH (finisher)"

Offline phatkau

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:27 PM »
Back from an all-nighter at Cafe [id] last night! Played AE and Super until 7.30 this morning - some good sessions with HydeBUFFY, Kensouzzang, the gdlk Yun dude, Busan's top player, a visiting Japanese player and a bunch of other guys.

Also played some ranked matches online got to play against Gameouttt and his Guile (lost 2-1 lol).

Shout outs to BC McMild - an awesome guy who mains Vega but used to be an ex-Honda user. He showed me some really really cool stuff with Honda that I had no idea he had. Also showed me a weird Honda-only karathrow glitch - try plinking LK, throw with Honda right next to any character but just outside throw range :D

Offline phatkau

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 12:45:44 AM »
Finally! Have some time now to write about Saturday's visit to Cafe [id].

I had contacted Drakefang earlier that day for info and directions, meaning to get there much earlier to get in some casual games and what not - but finding the place turned out a bit trickier than expected so ended up arriving there a bit after 8pm just in time for the start of the tournament.

Cafe [id] is a very cool little place owned by Kensouzzang (unbelievably good Rose player) and co-run with DrakeFang, located near Hongik University in central Seoul. It's not an arcade of any sort - more like a basement club house where you get all of Korea's top SF players!

Three console setups (two Xbox on one wall with big screens - korean sticks on one, TE's on the other; another Xbox with a smaller but less-laggy monitor with TE's on the other side), an AE setup in the corner (2 linked cabs with a hooked up LCD screen for audience), a bunch of webcams and PC setup for streaming, heaps of chairs and a couch, a drinks bar and a room with bunk beds for overnight stays (which costs 5000won).

AE setup - both machines had Sanwa sticks and buttons. Webcams placed to capture each player.

A closer look at the streaming screen, with the Challonge.com online bracketing system.

Before the tournament started, Drake gave me a quick introduction to the 12 players who were already there - managed to recognise Poongko and Infiltration in person. My Korean still sucks but fortunately Drake and Laugh spoke fluent English, so while Drake was getting things ready for the tournament to begin I had a chance to have a good conversation with Laugh and we got chatting about the Korean SF scene and other things.

Laugh told me how AE is just starting to pick up now, as it's only fairly recently that they've been getting the machines into arcades. Besides Cheonho arcade and Cafe [id], there are two other places in Seoul with AE, but they're not as cheap as Cheonho - making it the most popular arcade for SSF4 - especially on Friday nights when the weekly comps is held.

Currently the top player in Korea is Infiltration, closely followed by Laugh and Poongko. In the local tourneys there is a good chance that any of them - and several other players - can take 1st place, though Infiltration is the most consistent. Laugh said there are players that are very noteworthy but their names are not as well known outside of Korea. Regarding Aussie players he knows about Toxy and also Sol-T, but didn't seem to recognise some other names I mentioned, so it seems to be a similar case the other way around!

I explained a bit about Melbourne's community and our local tournaments, as well as the upcoming Shadowloo Showdown and the international invites (btw Ali if you're reading this - please invite Laugh and Infiltration to SS2011!). I found out Laugh has been to the last two SBO's which was pretty awesome. In Korea there are SF communities dotted around that are based within their own cities - though I think the Seoul community is the largest. Talked about character usage, how Melbourne haven't really picked up Yun or Yang yet except for a few guys (shoutouts to Pyro and Chris) and he said it is very much the same in Korea, with many players continuing with their mains from Super.

This is the gdlk Yun player - he kicked my ass in Cheonho - nice guy actually

What was quite surprising was asking how popular MVC3 was - and finding out it's actually not really played much because of the netcode is considered no good. So even though South Korea has the most amazing broadband network (it seriously does - fuck 3G, how does national wide wifi sound??) - the netcode for MVC3 is not as good as SSF4, so people don't like playing it online. It was at Cafe [id] however, and Infiltration is the No. 1 in Marvel as well.

The tournament got underway, all the money was collected and names put down and drawn into 6 doubles teams. I feel bad cos I can't remember the name of my teammate (he introduced his name in Korean), but he was a really cool guy who was also running the bracket and matches. I picked the inspired team name of "Melbourne&Seoul" heh.

By the way, the tournament brackets were run on and iPad which was awesome and looks like it works incredibly well. Talking to DrakeFang about it, he mentioned because everyone watching the stream is able to see the results live online. I think this would be great for any future major tourneys in Melb. Here is the site - http://www.challonge.com

The final bracket results:

The player order went:
Game 1 - A vs A
Game 2 - B vs B
Game 3 - B(winner) vs A(winner)

Our team was first up, and I went up first to play against EnterGuile who I took out 2-0. Next was my teammate's Yun against Hazuki's Sakura - very close match but he unfortunately lost. My turn to go against Hazuki - his Sak was not as sharp as Sol's or ShaaaaaAU's, and the dirty wakeup shenadigans were working well again. Got him back 2-0, so Melbourne&Seoul won our first match :)

The next team we went up against was Worldclass (Poongko/Zerstin). This time my teammate went first against Zerstin's Honda, who took my teammate out. Needless to say, I was pretty pumped to play against Poongko. Some highlights I remember: managed to get his Seth into the corner and kept him there, getting me the first round which hyped up the crowd quite a bit. The second round ended up being very close, with both of us around 15-20% life. I remember getting him knocked down into the corner again and I should have just kept my space and held back a bit, because I went in on his wakeup and it didn't work, so he took the 2nd round. The 3rd round? I got bodied, and it was horrible lol. Please refer to one of the Poongko video's out there on opponents being rush-pounded with Seth mixups, getting dizzied and so forth for a similar experience to the one I had.

In the loser's bracket, our last match was against FADC Taunt - won against Drakefang's Ibuki, my teammate lost against the Gief player, and I didn't do well against the Gief player (perfected the last round :)).

The highlight for the whole tournament was definitely how everyone goes hype mode doing the Poongko Seth chant (from the vid posted) whenever he played - hilarious stuff! The Hakan player (Laugh's teammate) was also pretty good - it was awesome to see a higher level of Hakan play in a comp.

What was also cool was halfway through the tournament and small bunch of people arrived to play some Arcana Heart on two of the console setups - really giving Cafe [id] a FG club house feel.

Laugh in the foreground, Hakan player is behind him, and my teammate presenting the money prizes!

Zerstin and Poongko

hydeBUFFY(awesome bloke) and Infiltration

After the tourney ended, people started to play some small money matches - DrakeFang said if I wanted to MM anyone he would record it haha. I introduced myself to Poongko and had a small chat with him (actually his friend standing next to him who could speak a little bit of English). He seemed a bit worried about not being able to speak English when coming to Aust, and I told him we have a Korean guy (hi Burnout!) and that there's a pretty big Korean community in Melbourne anyway - nice restaurants and everything - so he'll be fine heheh. Note: on Wednesday night HydeBUFFY told me that he's interested in coming to Melb w/ Poongko as well for SS - nice!

AE Casuals after tourney

VF5 running on one of the console setups

SuperFeature XL - sitting down on left

Norman AKA SuperFeatureXL - cool dude from Brisbane who's situated in Korea now - arrived at Cafe [id] a bit later on and it was great to meet and chat  with a fellow Aussie in Korea. Got a match against his Dudley just before I had to leave - clutched out the 1st round in the corner with a NJ fierce>jab>hands>super, then got perfected in the 2nd round!, and came back to win the 3rd - w00t :)

Overall my impressions from the night (and from the awesome all-nighter) is Cafe [id] is absolutely the place to go and check out if you ever get to visit South Korea - it's very welcoming, everyone's mates, made mates with some really awesome guys and I'm stoked that I got to meet and play with the top players of the country.

Offline SLoo|SoL

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 01:39:22 AM »
Fantastic write up Patrick enjoyed every bit of it my man and i hope you are having a great trip :)

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 02:09:18 AM »
I would love to Pat, but not sure we can this year. Hopefully next year for sure!
Tell them I say hi.  ;D

Offline TB Rossco

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 03:20:06 AM »
Awesome read Pat, Sounds like ya had a blast.. 
We need all nighter sessions in Melbourne. I would be too buttered in Korea! ;)

Thanks for sharing the experience..
Paying the toll since '86..

Offline allyoucaneat

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 02:07:55 AM »
such a good read phatkau! cool visuals on the post too n_n

cheers for the update.. more yeah? gogogo! haha
"I feel that it's the act of quietly accepting defeat without making excuses" Daigo after being asked what's the most difficult thing in fgs ^^

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
Really cool read, thanks for the pictures as well.

I'm just going to throw this out there, but Korean food is the best food.
Play Skullgirls