Author Topic: Looking to buy 2 high end joysticks to play on dreamcast console  (Read 1228 times)

Recently I saw a couple HRAP sticks being played on a dreamcast. How can I go about in buying 2 sticks like that?.

So, something that converts a PS3/Xbox 360 stick into a Dreamcast port (to play on the Dreamcast).

I'll pay for the services and parts.

Offline kyokugen

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy 2 high end joysticks to play on dreamcast console
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
Recently I saw a couple HRAP sticks being played on a dreamcast. How can I go about in buying 2 sticks like that?.

So, something that converts a PS3/Xbox 360 stick into a Dreamcast port (to play on the Dreamcast).

I'll pay for the services and parts.
In terms of conversion, there currently isn't anything that will convert the PS3/360's USB signals to any other console. In all my HRAPs I have modded them use a MC Cthulhu board and RJ45 port to use different cables. The board is capable of acting as a PCB for PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube and a whole bunch of other consoles, provided you buy and mod the necessary cables (cheap extension cables etc).

In the case of a 360, you would probably need to dual mod with this board, but for a PS3 you might be best off replacing the board entirely since USB PS3 is supported by it.

If cables are too much of an issue, you can also dual mod swap a DC pcb in your stick, for example, an Agetec stick's pcb may be attached to the sticks current components, and function as desired. The only problem with this setup is that it lacks versatility, and that proper DC pcbs are quite hard to come by, but the benefit is that you will have access to the VMU port for saved games.

If people local aren't able to perform this mod for you (it's relatively straightforward depending on the stick) I will be happy to help with it, just let me know. I don't like modifying cases though :S
ヽ(ー`)ノ

Offline weez3r

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
im currently using a PS2/DC converter for the NAMCO stick, and i've used it on the SFAC stick. Works well and even has a slot for the VMU but you might have to manually swap the shoulder buttons for it to work. The converter should work for HRAP2?

Offline kyokugen

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
im currently using a PS2/DC converter for the NAMCO stick, and i've used it on the SFAC stick. Works well and even has a slot for the VMU but you might have to manually swap the shoulder buttons for it to work. The converter should work for HRAP2?
Oh yes, you can also get a convertor for PS2 sticks, then dual mod/gut the 360/PS3 stick to accommodate the PS2 PCB. I think given this process, the easiest solution is still the MC Cthulhu board, just because it has all the buttons automatically configured in Dreamcast mode, and it does PS2 anyway (with 'convertor mode' too so the triggers don't need to be switched).

I would probably be interested in getting some convertors myself though, just for the VMU functionality. Where do they sell them and how is the lag? :O
ヽ(ー`)ノ

Offline zaneiken

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:58:47 AM »
I stick to Sanwa/Seimitsu-modded official Dreamcast sticks because I like the VMU slot and the abundant palm rest space.  But as previously mentioned, MC Cthulhu TE/HRAP or PS2->DC converters apparently work as well.  I would say it's cheaper to find a DC stick and throw some Sanwa parts in there than to pay someone to do the MC Cthulhu mod for you.

@kyokugen - Play-Asia sells some:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-h5-49-en-70-en.html

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
Kyokugen thanks mate for taking the time to respond, that is good information, I will work out what I need to do now, good advise mate. weez3er thanks.

zaneiken good points, something for me to consider.