Author Topic: ST (S*it Talk) Episode 1  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Somniac

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: ST (S*it Talk) Episode 1
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
This community really is a bunch of kids.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »
yip.
Please governor, I don't smoke
Stay Gold.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
17 and lovin it, son.
"Honey I'm still free, take a chance on me" - ABBA

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
are we there yet??

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
are we there yet??

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
are we there yet??

Offline vindk8

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
You are on a forum talking about a fucking VIDEOGAME what the hell did you expect?

Offline FaYd

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »
You are on a forum talking about a fucking VIDEOGAME what the hell did you expect?

I wasn't going to comment on Somniac's post because I didn't fully get the gist of it but I am going to comment on what you said with a simple: Are you serious? Are you SERIOUSLY serious???

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
omg misleading - shuold of named this ep 2 , listening now
retired as best sent in aus
no more umvc3 time for sfxt

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
On a final note this show was a bit more serious than the pilot episode due to some of the topics that we had on the agenda and we will return to a more wacky show next time.

That's a shame, because I really enjoyed it. :(

This episode reminded me of AlphaISM radio only better, because it was local and actually had some good serious discussion topics intermixed with the banter and laughs. I gave up on AlphaISM years ago when more content-focused stuff started turning up, as I felt they spent too much time on juvenile content. I'm sure there are people who love that for what it is, but I found I wasn't one of them.

I thought this episode had fantastic content and I'd love to hear more like it in the future. I really like that it's a joint-project between Melbourne and Sydney. (See, we can work together if we want to. :P) I enjoyed hearing Goswu and Loki's thoughts in addition to those of the hosts around Evo 2011 and the "Sydney vs. Melbourne situation".

A couple of feedback points on the subject matter.
  • I thought spidercarnage's comment about being unable to afford to travel to OHN9 because he donated substantially towards SS2011 was very interesting. I would like to hear more exploration of that point, especially if other Melbourne players have this in common. In particular, what difference will timing make if people choose to spend all their tournament travel money on propping up their local majors? That is, can extensive travel and massive localised donations truly coexist? Or should we be focusing on tournaments that can fund themselves without eating up so much of the community's funds?
  • The idea of a major like SS travelling around isn't as impossible as some might think. All you need is a good working relationship with reliable, experienced people on the ground in the cities where you plan to do your stuff. Maybe one day some working relationships will develop to make this possible. I can say that I've been doing my (small) part in this area and have received mixed results from other parties.
I hope S*it Talk does become more than just random call outs, as I think a blend of topical content and good humour is something the scene in general has been lacking ever since Wake-Up SRK took over the "serious" side of US fighting game community discussions.

PS: ST is an annoying abbreviation because it makes me think of Super Turbo. :P Maybe something like S-TLK would avoid confusion?

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Ziggy I want to make a quick point that perhaps has been misunderstood from Shit Talk.

Guys like Spidercarnage who donated significant amounts of cash to Shadowloo Showdown are the exception, not the rule. Especially with the amount that Igor donated.

The majority of funds that went towards running Shadowloo Showdown came directly from the Shadowloo team's pockets. Ali, Dave, Sol, Pyro etc.

Thousands and thousands of dollars, and not to mention man-hours.

It's kind of a disservice to them to think that the majority of Shadowloo's money came purely from donations.

Yes I'm sure the donations must've helped- as well as meetups like Deakin Uni and CCH that were also were used as fundraising events for SS. In that sense you could say that SS was supported by the entire Melbourne community.

I think the proximity of the dates was the biggest problem, and certainly not everybody in the Melbourne community donating too much money to the event.

My "chronicles of a scrub": http://beingascrub.com/

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
It's kind of a disservice to them to think that the majority of Shadowloo's money came purely from donations.
Sorry for my misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing that up mutton. :)

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »
shit talking in this thread is awesome just because of teh nature of the podcast :D

chris

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:30:37 AM »
i found some time to listen to this finally (was expecting another 2 hour podcast ;D) and found it really interesting.

I completely agree melb/syd rivalry was fun that got out of hand, and continued collaborations like this is awesome to clear the air. good shit spider :p:

For example I didn't realise sydney thought melb was boycotting ozh. i'm certain this wasn't intentional from the community as a whole, and highly doubt it was done by individual people.

Like ziggy i actually like the more serious and informative nature of the podcast.