Author Topic: New player looking for some guidance  (Read 3946 times)

Offline juniglee

New player looking for some guidance
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
So I just bought my copy of UMvC3 on PS3 a week back. Have just been practising on training mode a lot, with some occasional H&H and Mission modes.

My current team looks something like Chris/Frank West/Ryu. However, I know this is not really the best team to have (I just happen to be able to execute some simpler versions of their BnB, which is why I'm playing them). I'm interested in learning how to play Wesker, Nova, Dante, among many others, but I can't ever seem to nail down their playstyles and consistency is also a tad bit of a problem for me. This is my first fighting game on a console, and probably the second fighting game I've ever picked up in my life (the last being the PC version of SSF4: AE).

I need some guidance on when to use assists (for some reason, I never ever seem to use assists. I guess I am just not used to it), I also need guidance on how to close in, when to guard and when to advance. And also tips on team building, etc. Also I am playing with a DualShock controller - is it better to use the analog stick, or the D-pad for input? I've been using the D-Pad for the last week.

If anyone is kind enough, you can add me on PSN: juniglee and we can try some things.  Cheers ;D

Re: New player looking for some guidance
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
I would recommend picking up an arcade stick, but if you're going to stick with ps3 pad I think most players use the d-pad (I know I used to back when I was still using pad).

Making an effective team when you first start is nigh on impossible, so really you have 2 choices. Make a team you like just because you like them, or watch top players and steal their team. Take choice A if you want to have fun, choice B if you want to eventually go to tournaments and do well.

Since every assist is different and has it's different uses, it's really hard to say when you should use each one. Some examples though of your chris/frank/ryu team is to use franks shopping trolley whenever they start getting close to your chris. Chris is a keepaway char, so you'll be doing a lot of jumping back gun shots etc, trying to stay away from the opponent. If they get close you can call an assist in an attempt to get them off you.

That's a pretty simplified situation, but your best bet is to search youtube/eventhubs/where ever to find match videos of top players, see what they're doing and try to emulate it as best you can. Play a lot and you'll eventually start getting the hang of it more.

One last thing, it is hard to get a game online (ps3 especially), so try to make it to some of the local meets that happen around you. Easily the best way to meet people and get better.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. Yes I probably will not get an arcade stick until I decide that I really want to get competitive in this game, because a pad would only be used for fighting games, and the only fighting game I own at the moment is Ultimate MvC3 (not planning to get SFxT, since I've never really liked Tekken), so it kind of feels like a waste at the moment.

I've been trying to play every character as a rush down (even Chris), and get penalized by the AI on normal modes or higher. Right now I'm really only comfortable with doing magic series on each character I play, with a few variations, such as using air tatsu H and air shinku with Ryu instead of knocking down with j.S.

Local meets sounds like a good idea, any idea where I can look for some? I'm based in NSW, and willing to travel distances to get to them if they are not too far.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
http://forum.ozhadou.net/index.php?topic=7107.0

This is an event happening this weekend. Unfortunately it's BYO controller for 360 (Most events in Aus are 360 based), so you would need a ps3-360 converter. From what I know the York st events are held monthly.

There is also OHN happening feb 17th, which is a Australian nationals. Both will be a good chance to get an eye opener of what tournaments are like.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline bbbenson

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »
what a swell guy tom.

btw, not sure where in nsw ur based but the local meets are in sydney city. failing to make that, there are a few online threads where you can try to build up a list of regulars to play online. that being said though, the online is never as solid as playing locally at a meet cos of lag/latency etc.
D:

Offline juniglee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Oh I'm actually based in Blacktown/Parramatta area of NSW, but I'll be moving out to Kensington/Kingsford soon, so I can live closer to uni.

So I have to get a converter too? How unlucky for me lol...but we'll see how it goes, if I do decide to make it to a local gathering. Thanks!

Offline Hari

• Forum regular
  • Emerge at dusk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
For the future grab Xtokki360 PS2 > 360 converter.

http://etokki.com/Xtokki360 (No need for extra X360 controller and absolutely lag free)

You'll also need a PS2 DS2 Pad, but if you don't have one already they are easy enough to track down on ebay.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Thanks Hippo, I'm pretty sure that I have an old PS2 unit overseas, so perhaps the controller on that will work? Next time I go there, I will bring the controller back with me. For now I just need more practice so that I can actually get used to the game.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
I have problems playing with projectile spammers. Mainly a problem of not being able to get close. I think it's been about a month since I've started playing UMvC3 (Though I usually only play on weekends). Any tips? I just either get chipped to death, or get hit while trying to jump/superjump, and being knocked back to square one - the opposite end of the screen.

Am also open to suggestions for a team, I'd like a team based around Frank West. I'd been messing around with Frank/Magneto/Spencer, however other than Frank, the other two aren't that good...I also have *some* success with Vergil, though I really don't know what kind of combo I should do with him.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
Im not experienced in using Frank, but I have played against quite a few. It all comes down to getting Frank to alteast lvl4. Do you use him on point? probably the most common method of levelling ive seen is just a bnb combo ending with a team super using dante, and while dante is still going use the camera to lvl up. umm noel brown uses a TAC into frank, camera, super, then cancel into wolverines berserker charge, then tag frank back in for another photo op. Just have a look on youtube and see what others are doing/come up with

Offline juniglee

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:13 AM »
Hi mishima, great game earlier! pity i couldn't be more of a challenging opponent for you :P

right now im still trying to assists into the picture. as you saw when i played against you i hardly ever called on assists...i can't seem to figure out how to call them, or get used to calling them out.

I've seen a few videos, one of the most basics involve Frank and Dante where u would do your Frank BnB, and then get 2 bars in THC with Dante's Million Dollars - Frank's Blue Light Special will end faster, and he's able to snapshot multiple times in the middle of the the THC. But that is for another day, as I do not know how to play Dante at all, as well as needing to improve my general skills.

I'm not sure if he's better on point or as second, because I haven't found an assist-centred character I like yet. Perhaps Magneto or Doom second?

Also, would it be better for me to continue in the training room, or to play some actual arcade/online matches?

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »
lol I never used to call assist when I first started playing, mainly because this is my first vs. game im having a crack at; where as alot of the guys here have been in the mix for a long time.

Franks shopping cart assist is like one of the best in the game, really good for pressure and a fair bit of invulnerability. If youre going to have him on point I think Doom would be a better choice than Magneto, he's quite a difficult character to use IMO, not to mention pretty low on life. Just get your foot dive on with doom haha. Then again Im not sure how youre going to get Frank to level 4/5, which I think is pretty important if you're using him.

I'd say go training room for a bit just to get some things down pat like combos, what assist can you use in a situation etc. playing online can be really annoying when youre trying to get something right but it just doesnt work for you; but then again you do learn a LOT from playing others online.

The guys here are pretty friendly and dont mind helping out so just keep asking questions and keep playing, I think thats the best way to go about it all. Play again soon man GG

Offline juniglee

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:26 AM »
Yes I need to learn how to mix up with Frank on point too. Previously I've only been sparring with my brother, but after a few rounds playing against me, he's pretty much able to just  block low and when my Frank uses cr.H, he uses the opening to knock the health off Frank. He also plays characters like Iron Man, Akuma, Dante and just spams projectiles, which as Frank I find is really hard to get across.

I love Frank, but if I can't do well in him, I might have to swap him for someone else...

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
if your close enough, im pretty sure all of franks supers go through projectiles.
use this to your advantage as you can punish people and then dhc.
if you arent great at using assists yet, you can try using double lariat with haggar as that is one of the most safest assists in the game.
another assist you can use is striders vajra(not sure of its name), if you guess right you can punish with an otg move.
feel free to add me on psn if you want some matches aswell.
Please governor, I don't smoke
Stay Gold.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
Oh yeah I remember you were using Captain America? Charging star is really good for punishing spammers also using jumping shield slashes is good to annoy people