Author Topic: New player looking for some guidance  (Read 3958 times)

Re: New player looking for some guidance
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
I have problems playing with projectile spammers. Mainly a problem of not being able to get close. I think it's been about a month since I've started playing UMvC3 (Though I usually only play on weekends). Any tips? I just either get chipped to death, or get hit while trying to jump/superjump, and being knocked back to square one - the opposite end of the screen.

Am also open to suggestions for a team, I'd like a team based around Frank West. I'd been messing around with Frank/Magneto/Spencer, however other than Frank, the other two aren't that good...I also have *some* success with Vergil, though I really don't know what kind of combo I should do with him.

The general SF4 habit of holding back to block is what causes a lot of problems with projectiles. If you get hit by a Doom beam or any projectile and hold back ,you do end up back teching all the way to the other side of the screen. If you hold forward after being hit you gain ground whilst being invulnerable (like any other wakeup recovery tech) and therefore not be on the wrong side of the screen.
The Walking Meme. Fruit Ninja Enthusiast. Can block Magneto. Can't block Vega.
Arguably: The Blog

Offline juniglee

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
@Mishima:I used Captain America because I still haven't really found a team I'm used to, and he happens to be one of the few characters I used most throughout playing arcade, the other being Wesker.

@Coolz: So does this mean, if I get hit by a projectile, I press back to guard, but once I've block confirmed, I press front to move forward while guarding? I've been practicing wavedashing a bit, but projectile spammers just jump back and continue spamming projectiles. After that, I either get chipped before I can corner them, or corner them, and somehow am not able to hit them, end up getting hit myself instead, and knocked back to square one - far from the opponent character.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
@Mishima:I used Captain America because I still haven't really found a team I'm used to, and he happens to be one of the few characters I used most throughout playing arcade, the other being Wesker.

@Coolz: So does this mean, if I get hit by a projectile, I press back to guard, but once I've block confirmed, I press front to move forward while guarding? I've been practicing wavedashing a bit, but projectile spammers just jump back and continue spamming projectiles. After that, I either get chipped before I can corner them, or corner them, and somehow am not able to hit them, end up getting hit myself instead, and knocked back to square one - far from the opponent character.

Cool was referring to teching I think.

Once you get hit, you can choose to back, neutral or forward tech. By default most people are holding back to block, and will tech backwards. Against a keepaway team it just means you end up further away from them, which can be a good or a  bad thing depending on the situation. If you want to get closer to your opponent teching forward gives you a little bit less room to chase down.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
Is it different from Advancing Guard/pushblocking? I pretty much always hold Down + Back and press Dash when I've block confirmed to do Advancing Guard. I'm not sure (don't really pay attention), but apparently it reduces chip damage.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
Getting in with Frank on point (esp. Level 1 Frank) is pretty hard. Best advice I can give is use your assists to help get in if you can and don't forget that Frank has projectiles of his own, they aren't great, but they have their uses. B, F+C Zombie can hold the opponent in place, but it's easy to dodge. You can throw out the A version and wave-dash in behind him too.
F+C throws the pie, which does little damage and isn't very durable but it's fast.
QCB+Atk is pretty useful as well, since it has an odd trajectory that can hit characters who like jumping back a lot.

Others will be able to give you more advice on using assists to help getting in, but they can be really useful (I use Ghost Rider's chain of rebuttal assist, which does okay, but it's not great. A beam super would likely be better).

Finally as for levelling up, I personally have a system that's pretty team specific involving Skrull's tenderizer assist. Apart from that unless you use one of the proven methods with certain DHCs/THCs just hit up training mode and see which assists in your team will help you extend combos/get that extra snapshot in. Once you get to level 2/3 things get much better thanks to the roll and enhanced weapons.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:55 AM »
I played a bit more today, and have been practising a new combo for Frank. It goes something like this:

st.L st.M st.H cr.H S j.M j.M j.H QCF H land cr.L cr.M cr.H S j.M j.M j.H j.2H (OTG-assist S j.H j.2H) Snapshot xx Survival Techniques

I can't seem to get the part in the bracket to work with the dummy - it recovers right after Wesker's OTG gun assist, and my S will miss. Otherwise I am able to execute the non-bracketed part now.

I played a few more online matches today too, still having problems with Hawkeye arrow spams. I was thinking of running a Frank a/Doom b/Wesker b team, but I'm not good with Doom at all, save for randomly spamming footdives. I am in the middle of practising a Wesker BnB as well. One of my problems is not being able to do anything with Frank before getting exploded. I played against a 9th Lord who ran Dante/Vergil/Nemesis, and was able to kill off Vergil/Nemesis but only using Wesker alone - Frank and Doom weren't really much help. Frank literally did 0 damage, and couldn't get in. I can execute the Frank combo I listed above, but am having trouble opening up opponents. Perhaps I need to play more with Arcade mode?

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
hrm depending on how the match goes early it may be best to just tag out frank for wesker or doom to deal with the projectiles and keep frank for his cart assist in the mean time. Wesker is a straight up beast. Cart assist and teleports should work really well. Also if wesker has pretty good mixups with doom beam assist aswell so yeah just something to think about and have a play around with; should play some matches soon

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »
Is it different from Advancing Guard/pushblocking? I pretty much always hold Down + Back and press Dash when I've block confirmed to do Advancing Guard. I'm not sure (don't really pay attention), but apparently it reduces chip damage.

Yes. It is. Like basically I'm referring to the state you're in when you recover from being HIT. So if you're in the air and you've been reset/they drop a combo what direction you hold determines the direction your character recovers to. The same applies to grounded knockdowns i.e. being hit in the face with a Doom beam. If you have that Street Fighter habit of holding downback, AFTER you've been hit you'll roll FURTHER away from them and they can keep throwing beams at you.

There are entire games I've pretty much won against people without an understanding of the game mechanics by just throwing Doom beams all day (especially in XF3 :D) and people either getting smacked in the face and rolling backward or slowly getting chipped out.

This may be the cause of your problem of "get hit while trying to jump/superjump, and being knocked back to square one - the opposite end of the screen." if you hold back you WILL end up on the other side of the screen again. If you make a habit of holding forward after being hit till you tech recover you'll gain ground and then the zoning character will have to either reposition themselves or you have a much easier time jumping over/punishing projectiles ala Doom Beam.

The Walking Meme. Fruit Ninja Enthusiast. Can block Magneto. Can't block Vega.
Arguably: The Blog

Offline ZeroX03

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
MISHIMA STYLE!!!! We gotta hit up UMvC3 some time!

Offline juniglee

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Hey guys, I've been playing on and off due to busy schedules and stuff. Spent a good 4 hours or so just playing with PC in Normal Arcade, and I have found a few team options I think I like. Just need suggestions on where to go from here:

Frank West - Is he played best as point or second? I'm definitely putting Frank into my team, I've put a lot of time into training his Level 1 BnB's (mainly because I can't ever seem to hit higher than that consistently enough to try and learn his BnB's for higher levels).

As for options for my team:
Wesker - People say he's easy. I think he's not quite as easy as people say. I'm trying out his BnB with Cobra Strike and  Ghost Butterfly, but can't seem to land Ghost Butterfly after Cobra Strike/OTG. Everytime I play him I can't seem to land hits on opponents.

Doctor Doom - Still trying to get his corner BnB on pad, will need to work on his midscreen too at a later point. I think if I spend enough time to get his combos, he might make a pretty solid anchor. I like his assists but sometimes having trouble picking between A or B assist for one to go well with Frank.

Nova - Yet another character categorized as "easy to play", but I'm having trouble with his  :dpf: + L OTG into Super Nova Hyper and his fly/unfly combo (I have problems with all fly/unfly combos in general, including Sentinel). I think the  :dpf: + L xx Super Nova will come eventually, but it's the fly/unfly I can't seem to quite pull off. Supposedly he's good for a Frank team, as I can Super Nova and DHC whiff into Survival Techniques, allowing for easy Level 3's or 4's.

Nemesis - I think he's easy to play, and pretty solid. However I am really only effective with him in a corner, and with an OTG assist like Wesker's gun assist. How would Nemesis fit into a Frank team?

Wolverine - Seems easy enough to play, but like Wesker, have problems hitting opponents who know how to guard. I'll need to try mixing up with assists/ :qcb: + L.

I was watching the WinterBrawl tournament recently, seems Noel Brown ran a Wolvie/Frank/Wesker team if I recall?

Probably gonna avoid players for a bit until I can get the execution and stuff down. Sorry about that, and thanks for the help!

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
Wesker and Wolverine are both easy characters to play, but because they are too overused (e.g. at OHN I could count all the players who DIDN'T use Wesker with 1 hand), people are very familiar with their attacks, which is what makes it hard to land hits.
Diablo 3 - The SF x T of Blizzard

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
Hey guys, I've been playing on and off due to busy schedules and stuff. Spent a good 4 hours or so just playing with PC in Normal Arcade, and I have found a few team options I think I like. Just need suggestions on where to go from here:

Frank West - Is he played best as point or second? I'm definitely putting Frank into my team, I've put a lot of time into training his Level 1 BnB's (mainly because I can't ever seem to hit higher than that consistently enough to try and learn his BnB's for higher levels).

As for options for my team:
Wesker - People say he's easy. I think he's not quite as easy as people say. I'm trying out his BnB with Cobra Strike and  Ghost Butterfly, but can't seem to land Ghost Butterfly after Cobra Strike/OTG. Everytime I play him I can't seem to land hits on opponents.

Doctor Doom - Still trying to get his corner BnB on pad, will need to work on his midscreen too at a later point. I think if I spend enough time to get his combos, he might make a pretty solid anchor. I like his assists but sometimes having trouble picking between A or B assist for one to go well with Frank.

Nova - Yet another character categorized as "easy to play", but I'm having trouble with his  :dpf: + L OTG into Super Nova Hyper and his fly/unfly combo (I have problems with all fly/unfly combos in general, including Sentinel). I think the  :dpf: + L xx Super Nova will come eventually, but it's the fly/unfly I can't seem to quite pull off. Supposedly he's good for a Frank team, as I can Super Nova and DHC whiff into Survival Techniques, allowing for easy Level 3's or 4's.

Nemesis - I think he's easy to play, and pretty solid. However I am really only effective with him in a corner, and with an OTG assist like Wesker's gun assist. How would Nemesis fit into a Frank team?

Wolverine - Seems easy enough to play, but like Wesker, have problems hitting opponents who know how to guard. I'll need to try mixing up with assists/ :qcb: + L.

I was watching the WinterBrawl tournament recently, seems Noel Brown ran a Wolvie/Frank/Wesker team if I recall?

Probably gonna avoid players for a bit until I can get the execution and stuff down. Sorry about that, and thanks for the help!

You probably don't want to avoid players at this critical learning stage.  The best way to get better at any level is to play others, even if your combos and stuff aren't down.  Come to kodi's on saturday so that we can put you on the path of cheapness.

Offline juniglee

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
Oh yeah what I meant was avoid online play for a while...lag makes me pretty salty lol.

I will probably go for kodi's on sat, I'm only one train stop away anyway :D

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I am having the same problem i like Nemesis and Ghost rider and i really dont like anyone else i am having the same problem and when i go online vsing people my level i never win lol and i cant do combo's to save myself.