7 (43.8%)
Always on
0 (0%)
Default off, but can be turned on by player discretion
7 (43.8%)
Default on, but can be turned off by player discretion
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: UMvC3: Auto Jump after launch - Tournament ruling  (Read 2187 times)

UMvC3: Auto Jump after launch - Tournament ruling
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
I haven't seen anything mentioned on this anywhere yet, but a decision probably needs to be made as to whether this function is on or off.

Since there is a single option which affects both players, there should be a ruling as to whether it is on/off by default, or whether it can be turned on/off by player request.

So what do people think? Does anyone use it at all for tiger knee cancels or combos in general? Does anyone stuff up their combos if it's on/off?
Stop sandbagging.

Re: UMvC3: Auto Jump after launch - Tournament ruling
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
it didn't really bother either way. May its because I'm not really creative with tiger knee stuff.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
it should be off.
some combos require a short delay and it could make you stuff up.
if your used to old versus games, it shouldn't be a problem.
Please governor, I don't smoke
Stay Gold.

CPS2

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
I was wondering about this. I had assumed everyone would want it switched off, and it is on by default in the game settings (but really shouldn't be imo). It seems like some kind of easy input / beginner thing they put in there for people who don't vary their super jump timing, and need help jumping after pressing the S button. It's a bit bizarre it's even there in the first place, but I can see it having some uses I guess.

I'd say off by default for the tournament, on by player request. That just seems like what the majority of players would want.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
Wow to be honest I didnt even know about this, will have to start practicing with it turned off. I guess having it turned off would be the standard tournaments are played at

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »
I'd prefer it off, it stuffs me up sometimes.
Always cheap.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Please turn this off, if for no one else but me. I sometimes hold my S button down by habit because it helps with my timing, especially with Trish combos. When its on, I drop everything.
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
Added a poll since I forgot to do it when I initially posted.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
We've had it on off since we started SNL and have had no complaints.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
Interesting. I know nothing about Marvel other than the fact that bk is unbeatable.

That aside, I find this part important:

"Since there is a single option which affects both players, there should be a ruling as to whether it is on/off by default, or whether it can be turned on/off by player request."

If it directly impacts BOTH players, an agreement could perhaps be made by both players before entering a tournament match.

However, this invokes complications further down the line if opposing preferences face off. As such a default setting should be clarified that is enforced across the board. I agree with Ali in that its perhaps best left off and if those guys are cranking their tournies with it disabled, lets establish a standard.

How do you guys roll in QLD, SA and WA in a formal tournaments setting? Sydney? What do the yanks do? Does America even play Marvel?
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
We play with it off, but it's been mainly because I go into options and turn it off because I hate it. No one has complained about it being off yet as far as I know in QLD tournies.

But yea it's not something that is likely to cause an issue, but I think there should be some consensus as to the preference of it being on or off in case an issue does arise.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
Noted. For OHN we'll run with it off. Before Marvel begins, we'll broadcast this so everyone is aware.

From what I can gather here though, many folks are either indifferent or run with it off anyway.

Cheers for the heads-up with this. Its good to get these things out in the open so nobody is caught off guard.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
Since the majority of people would like this turned off, in the absence of any Evo rules to refer to we will also make the default for tournament play at OHNX to turn this off. I'm a bit concerned of what that means for anyone going to Evo should they leave this on but that's something the players will have to keep in mind.

Now because policing this setting is going to be ridiculous, it will be the responsibility of the players to check that it has been disabled before their match begins. If anyone stops a game in progress to complain about this setting they will forfeit that game, just as they would if they stopped a game to report a button failure or misconfiguration (as explained in the OzHadou tournament rules). I think a setting like this falls under the same category us button config and testing. It's easy enough to verify if it's on or not during button checks (assuming you care one way or the other), but not practical to have judges checking it between every match.

I will update the official rules for UMvC3 accordingly.