Author Topic: [SFxT] The Gem thread.  (Read 1878 times)

findlay_stuart

[SFxT] The Gem thread.
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:02:06 AM »
Since these little bad boys seem integral to the game, I'd like to know more.

1) What Gems are you using?
2) Why and how do they fit with your team?
3) What criteria do you look for when choosing Gems?
4) Are there any worthless Gems ?
5) Do you (or would you in the future) change your Gems for specific match ups?

I have the EB games extra Gem pack but I've not really tinkered with the whole idea. Are you guy's making your Gems improve an already impressive stat? or applying gems to cover your characters weaknesses?

Discuss....

Re: The Gem thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
I can't even answer this since I haven't really had a chance to play. I've done trials up to around the 17-19 mark for around 4 characters and that's it. :(
Shadowloo TEC4LIFE

findlay_stuart

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
I can't even answer this since I haven't really had a chance to play. I've done trials up to around the 17-19 mark for around 4 characters and that's it. :(

I'm similar, I've only done trials. I have no idea apart from reading the gem information. Like if you lay the gems out in 1-2-3 spots is that the order they activate? or they activate when the conditions are met no matter what??  Why would I want to only have 2 gems? Or does the system automatically leave the 3rd spot blank?

Such a fuck around, the games really quite good and seems to have enough depth without these.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Atm I roll with....

Cammy

Life Force Lv.1    Vitality Gradual Restoration +80 Get hit by 2 Special Moves
Harmonize Lv.1 Vitality Instant Restoration +60 Get hit by 2 Special Moves
Fortitude Lv.1    Damage Reduction Up +100 (20 seconds) Get hit by 2 Special Moves

Ken

Immense Power Lv.1 Attack Up +10% (20 seconds) Partner connects with a Launcher.
Divine Speed Lv.1 Speed Up +10% (20 seconds) Partner connects with a Launcher.
Onslaught Lv.2 Cross Gauge Acquisition Up +40% (15 seconds) Partner connects with a Launcher.

Cammy is my point and best character (will probably drop Ken for a Tekken character, tried Asuka... maybe after she gets buffed like Makoto did.. Nina is next to try out..). She has 900 life in this game compared to 950 in SFIV, those 3 gems make her health equal to 1140, which is nearly as much as Hugo. She already has good walk speed and stupid damage, no need to buff them and these 3 gems all activate @ once and have gone off every match.

Ken's is just.. do 10% more damage after launcher.. lol... but that and the speed buff remain for another 20 seconds and his meter building capabilities are buffed big time. This stuff is pretty much on demand as well..

Cbf trying out anything else, though thinking of trying to abuse auto block gem lol. Might swap out the instant 60 health for that one.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

findlay_stuart

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
I like your thinking grouping them together. I think Law has low health so I may go for something similar.

The damage reduction +100, Does that scale combo's, or add 100 to your bar?

I'm going to have to buy the guide.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
I think it's just a flat 100 damage shield. You can switch that out for a flat 10% reduction (Iron Wall) but I think I'll go with the reduction all the way.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

findlay_stuart

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
I think it's just a flat 100 damage shield. You can switch that out for a flat 10% reduction (Iron Wall) but I think I'll go with the reduction all the way.

Ok , I'm on Gem duty tonight. I assume anything I pick can be used. For example I have fortitude level 1 (hit by 4 normals) and Fortitude level 1 (Have your attack blocked 4 times). For a combined +200 incurred damage cut.

That's all legit isn't it? I mean if I want to be a tank at some point in the round this would be the way to go?

Also the slots 1/2/3 - do the gems activate on conditions, as in the slots are just slots. (ie the gem in slot 3 will activate regardless)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
Gems stack

The slots are just placeholders, there's no order to them.

For example, I won a match yesterday through defense gems, I had 2 active and was thrown, usually it would kill but another activated during throw and I lived, I combo'd and won.

There's going to be some nasty stuff once people explore it more
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

findlay_stuart

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
Gems stack

The slots are just placeholders, there's no order to them.

For example, I won a match yesterday through defense gems, I had 2 active and was thrown, usually it would kill but another activated during throw and I lived, I combo'd and won.

There's going to be some nasty stuff once people explore it more

This was kind of my train of thought , If you get set conditions so two gems go off for either offence or defence at the same time it could be a match changer. I like the idea of stacking them so that some point in the round its game time. As opposed to dripping out through the round.

Can't see any of the assist gems being useful though.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »
This thread should be a blank page.

That would perfectly demonstrate how gem loadouts will look in tournament matches.
Perth made me do it.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:28 AM »
Without gems this game is timeout city. You really need those damage/speed/meter buffs to finish your opponent off sometimes.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
No without good execution and the ability to maximise your damage this game is timeout city.

Mediocre players can easily do 40-50% off of an anti-air for 1 bar, which other mediocre players seem to give them ample opportunity to do.
Perth made me do it.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »
exactly, most my combos are 40 - 50% damage, i only see time outs when mainly versing vega or ibuki teams.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »
If banning gems becomes the standard, they should do something about the clock because as it is, supers are worthless without gems... They only do around 300 damage and take about 99 seconds each.

Remember "50%" is only a quarter of your opponent's combined life.

Edit: Also, it takes about 583847239487234 frames just to throw someone. Throws are an absolute necessity in clutch situations, unless I suppose if the other guy has an auto-tech gem lol.