Author Topic: [SFxT] Potential tournament issues with this game  (Read 5573 times)

Re: Potential tournament issues with this game
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
It's kind of funny in some ways, 'cos I find the whole thing massively confusing. When I mention to people that I'm already confused they say "Don't stress, it won't make that much of a difference," which makes me wonder why bother in the first place then?

I really want to love this game, and I'm excited to start on a level playing field... but I suspect it will do my head in. Is there a 'stop gem confusion' gem? Or is that DLC?

Haven't you ever talked to someone who uses your character and had different ideas on how you would improve them? Maybe you think Cammy should have more life, maybe your friend who uses Cammy wants more dmg, now gems let you do what you want to suit your play style.

With the right gems you make a 50% combo you get hit by into a 30% one, you can make your 500 dmg pandora combo into one over 700. Gems will make a difference, they just aren't game changers like Ultras and X-Factor. Top players like Ricky Ortiz and Flash Metriod seemed to like the gem options and really like the game itself... and this was on FGTV not Cross Assault, if they thought the game was wack they would say so on FGTV.
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline kc

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
It's kind of funny in some ways, 'cos I find the whole thing massively confusing. When I mention to people that I'm already confused they say "Don't stress, it won't make that much of a difference," which makes me wonder why bother in the first place then?

I really want to love this game, and I'm excited to start on a level playing field... but I suspect it will do my head in. Is there a 'stop gem confusion' gem? Or is that DLC?

Haven't you ever talked to someone who uses your character and had different ideas on how you would improve them? Maybe you think Cammy should have more life, maybe your friend who uses Cammy wants more dmg, now gems let you do what you want to suit your play style.

With the right gems you make a 50% combo you get hit by into a 30% one, you can make your 500 dmg pandora combo into one over 700. Gems will make a difference, they just aren't game changers like Ultras and X-Factor. Top players like Ricky Ortiz and Flash Metriod seemed to like the gem options and really like the game itself... and this was on FGTV not Cross Assault, if they thought the game was wack they would say so on FGTV.

I hear you, it makes sense to be able to dial in a character, I just find it all a touch confusing at this stage. Once we all get our hands on it I'm sure it'll be clearer. Either that or we'll all just copy what the pros are doing.

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »

very good analogy, i think this is the sole reason why these gems well work
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:34 AM »
 watched Gootecks use poisen and he selected all defensive gems im guessing most female characters have lower health?.

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 03:37:56 AM »
I think Gootecks clearly just assumes women are weak and need all the help they can get.  ::)

But seriously no, his point char is Poison and what his aim is to live long as he can to try and work out any weakness in the enemy team and try to create openings with her, so he gave defensive gem's to suit this try and outlast approach with his point character to give himself more time to create the opportunity for the other charecter to come in and do some damage.

I think he explained that in one of his episodes.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »
I think Gootecks clearly just assumes women are weak and need all the help they can get.  ::)

But seriously no, his point char is Poison and what his aim is to live long as he can to try and work out any weakness in the enemy team and try to create openings with her, so he gave defensive gem's to suit this try and outlast approach with his point character to give himself more time to create the opportunity for the other charecter to come in and do some damage.

I think he explained that in one of his episodes.
yeah he did thats were i got it from lol guess so

findlay_stuart

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 05:43:56 AM »
snip
[/qoute]

Good points but I think that analogy has to work both way's. A character already good at something plus adding on a gem that makes him even better at that something has as much potential to cause imbalance as it does balance.

I'm looking forward to trying the system out, I'm not sold on all the "don't worry" talk just yet. With so many character/gem combinations something’s going to go tits up, and it'll be on You tube 6 minutes after launch.

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
watched Gootecks use poisen and he selected all defensive gems im guessing most female characters have lower health?.

poison isn't a female character ::)
hugos foot, it looks like a duck

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
Hmm for gem selection in tournaments....

Pre Tournament Patch

Default Gem setups only. (Attack, Speed, Defense etc)

After Tournament Patch (Assuming the USB stick is the only solution offered for gem selection)

USB Stick, if no USB stick supplied you have to choose from default gem setups.

Personally I think this is the best way to go about it, rather silly to have no gems @ all before the tournament patch. People will be playing online and at home with gems, it's quick and it keeps the gem system in place. For after patch it rewards the people who can bothered to bring their setups on a USB stick in 2 ways, they get to use their setup and secondly anyone they play who can't be fucked to spend a minute copying their setup and than bringing it on a small stick that can fit in any pocket is forced to use default setups. (Which that far into the game might be found lacking)
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
Hmm for gem selection in tournaments....

Pre Tournament Patch

Default Gem setups only. (Attack, Speed, Defense etc)

After Tournament Patch (Assuming the USB stick is the only solution offered for gem selection)

USB Stick, if no USB stick supplied you have to choose from default gem setups.

Personally I think this is the best way to go about it, rather silly to have no gems @ all before the tournament patch. People will be playing online and at home with gems, it's quick and it keeps the gem system in place. For after patch it rewards the people who can bothered to bring their setups on a USB stick in 2 ways, they get to use their setup and secondly anyone they play who can't be fucked to spend a minute copying their setup and than bringing it on a small stick that can fit in any pocket is forced to use default setups. (Which that far into the game might be found lacking)
If you can bring a stick...you can bring a USB stick...one can fit inside the other if it's that hard. :P
Shadowloo TEC4LIFE

Offline Folks

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
so will the tournament standard be 2v2?
BasedFolk

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

God I hope not :/
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
gems chen
where's the beef?

Offline Folks

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »

God I hope not :/

but isnt it hype as?
BasedFolk

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
The feedback for the first couple of big tourneys (Big Two, WNF) has been to expect very long game times. 

The time taken for the tourneys was considerably longer than AE so tourney organisers should be taking this into account.
Always cheap.