Author Topic: OHNX: Results, Discussion and Feedback  (Read 13544 times)

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
OHNX: Results, Discussion and Feedback
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
The tenth OzHadou Nationals are over. Thank you to everyone that came along to watch, play and compete, as well as the huge list of people that helped out in the lead-up to the event and on the day. Thanks also to all our sponsors for their generous support.

Here are the top 8 results for all official tournaments at the top 4 for the Road to Evo.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012
1st [SGP] DM | Xianmsg
2nd [NSW] Shangtsung
3rd [NSW] robsux
4th [NSW] Huck
5th [NSW] Crazy FreeRider
5th [VIC] Shadowloo | ToXY
7th [VIC] Heavy Weapons
7th [VIC] CARNAGE

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
1st [NSW] Arnold Desu
2nd [VIC] Shadowloo | ToXY
3rd [QLD] Low Blow
4th [QLD] Haichii
5th [QLD] NefeliousG
5th [VIC] BurnoutFighter
7th [VIC] shadowfox
7th [VIC] Somniac

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
1st [NSW] Lucky Strikes
2nd [NSW] St. George
3rd [NSW] Handsomeboy123
4th [NSW] MMT
5th [NSW] meat
5th [NSW] Lordsilver
7th [NSW] Crocop
7th [VIC] Dion

Soul Calibur V
1st [VIC] V1p3r
2nd [NSW] Awakened Being
3rd [NSW] Peter
4th [NSW] Ipandroo

The King of Fighters XIII
1st [SGP] DM | Xianmsg
2nd [VIC] V1p3r
3rd [QLD] Colonov
4th [QLD] Qmar

To see the full results for each official tournament, check out the live online brackets from OHNX. Keep an eye on the OzHadou forums for full results for SC5, KOF13 and other DIY tournaments at OHNX.

Finally for all players that placed top 16 in SSF4:AE, UMvC3, SC5 and/or KOF13 at OHNX, please email us at ohn@ozhadou.net with the valid email address you're most likely to use when registering for Evo 2012 so that we can secure your Evo seeding points. This needs to be done quickly or you will forfeit your points.

Congratulations to all our OHNX champions, and thanks again to everyone that participated in OHNX.

Offline Rip The Jacker

Re: OHNX: Results, Discussion and Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
Did Xian win it with Gen?

I like to live vicariously through people who can actually use that guy.
Oh, no, I'm just some guy ... RULER OF THE PLANET OMICRON PERSEI 8!!

Offline Crazy FreeRider

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
^^
Yes he did you can rewatch the stream replays www.twitch.tv/ozhadou

Hands down best OHN EVER!
Thank you to all the sponsors, organisers and volunteers, it could not have been possible without you guys.

Good shit to the interstaters who made it down or up or from the left  :D to be with all of us in Sydney. It definitely wouldnt have been the same without so many of you, especially Melb who had a fantastic showing this year.

Dream result personally and for NSW, Spewing that we didnt get to see some of the other exhibitions planned. Hopefully we'll get to finish off the 5v5 at SS or BAM as i will definitely be coming down this year to show support for the Melb scene as you Melb guys did for us. Thumbs up!

As always time is the problem with these things, maybe we should try aim for 10am starts next time?

Peace out!

Crazy FraudRider

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Thanks first and foremost to all the TO's and volunteers,
Ziggy, Shane, Spencer, Justin, Youssef, pr1Nce (only the N is capital cos the price dont matter $_$), YANG.. not sure if i missed anyone else but if i did i apologize.

congrats to all tournament winners

special congrats to ARNOLD. told you that you would win 2 weeks before the event

i think that trip to cabra helped you out good too  ;D

you the man

congrats to Shang tsung aka the Soul Stealah for 2nd place, you earned it

shoutouts to rob for crushing vic's hopes of making top3, and putting an end to any talk of sydney being done without jonny. jonny still thinks we are all ASSSSS tho LOL

big shoutout to everyone who was with me in that hotel room for the FT10 with ToXY
Javed, Ace, Martin, George, Josh, Erks and Youssef.
special thanks to Youssef (by far one of the most generous people I have ever met) for shouting dinner afterwards, and Martin and Josh for shouting drinks.

shoutouts to all the interstate guests, in particular Hari and Tyrone from QLD (sadly Minh couldnt make it down), Beefy and Vlade from ACT, and the entire Frontier Assault Perth crew (those that were there and those that were still on the west coast). Didn't really have a chance to chat with anyone else but it was all good.

I also want to give a big thanks to Antman and ToXY both for accepting and playing the exhibition/money matches against me.
I also appreciate the fact that people are speaking on your behalf and you might not agree with what is being said.

finally

SHOUTOUTS TO ABM WE THE BEST MANG. GET MONEY

PS

WEST COAST THE BEST COAST

WHATS GOOD

$400 CASH MONEY, BALANCE IN THE BLACK
CEO of ABM. Bringin the HATE since 08 son
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1660/img0546vx.jpg

Offline Crazy FreeRider

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »
Oh yeah big up to the guy above me!!
The HYPE machine!
Always bet on Black!

Offline Slapper Joe

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »
5 days/4 nights, 2.5hrs sleep.  Fun times.

Offline ArnoldDesu

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
This event was soo fun! A big congratulations to the organisers and the peoples behind all of the work, you all did so well to keep the event as fluent as it went! And to all the interstaters, it was very fun to play with the people that I did: Carnage, Omoi Hekki and Sol! and all of you were very nice :) And congratulations to Xiang in taking two of tournaments! Such a talented player with all of those reads in the Grand Finals!! ^_^
I may treasure peace, but I am very good at making war.

Offline EXC355UM

• Event Organisers
  • It's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamerhold.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
Congrats Arnold, was great to talk to you this weekend. I look forward to hopefully seeing you enter a lot more tournaments in the future. You are very talented and will only help all those who Vs you get better and gain the experience they need if we want to take on the rest of the world.  :p:

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
Thanks to all the staff for all the hard work and putting on a great event, I really had a good time.

Congratulations to all the winners, I had a hell of a time sitting behind shadowfox and anthony and enjoying the HYPE!

Special thanks to Tom and Xian for taking the time to sit down with Igor and me (we'll get you next time Ziggy), all the amazing Sydney food in my belly, the busty top three buttons missing waitresses, anyone I played/talked to, and for Bugs, Rossco, Igor and Pyro for being great roommates.

See you all at SS!
My "chronicles of a scrub": http://beingascrub.com/

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
This event was soo fun! A big congratulations to the organisers and the peoples behind all of the work, you all did so well to keep the event as fluent as it went! And to all the interstaters, it was very fun to play with the people that I did: Carnage, Omoi Hekki and Sol! and all of you were very nice :) And congratulations to Xiang in taking two of tournaments! Such a talented player with all of those reads in the Grand Finals!! ^_^

Well done winning Marvel young fella. I have to admit after the Vic v NSW team match I thought Toxy was going to blow you up deluxe in the Grand Final but you held your nerve and stuck to your guns.

Your interview on the stream after you won, saying that you are crap and got lucky...no one is believing that!

Offline hebretto

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
I'd like to apologise to anyone who might have come in to my firing line over the weekend. From people standing in the wrong area of in the wrong chair. I had to keep my word to one of the organisers that crowd control will be maintained. I had to tell my own friends to vacate from areas so don't take it personally. Please respect the black tape in future :)

I'd also like to apologise for not being efficient enough to churn those brackets out in time. I'd like to list some of the factors which played in to why things ran over time and eventuated in the KG v ToXY MM being played in a quiet hotel room as opposed on the big stream set up:

- Is it AE or 2012? This was due to the discs being played it seems. I couldn't really figure out the root cause of it but we should have double checked that they were all responding to 2012 during the Versus screen.
- People being late for their allocated pool times. Funny enough even though we started pools late there were still people late for their pools. If it says pools start at 2pm you be there at 2pm if not earlier. We don't like to disqualify people especially since they paid for the entry but you end up delaying things for everyone. If you're late (or know you might be called for a match) please let us know.
- People not having their own sticks. Would professional tennis players go to a tournament without their rackets? No. Then why are some of you coming without your sticks when we made it clear to you months ago it is a BYO event.

And finally I must apologise for not being able to show you guys the Sydney hospitality this year ... things just hasn't really gone well for me this year's event and it's last night's rain was so damn hectic so many flooded spots on the way home -_-

On a more positive note I'd like to thank all the volunteers throughout the weekend. The judges running around making sure all the results were recorded and matches were played accordingly. Don't forget I still owe you guys a drink :D

Tournament organisers held it down and did the best they could. Whether it's a main title or a DIY title it's not easy to run a tournament when you have to chase people up for sign up money and it's even harder trying to find them because they entered every single tournament.

Thank you to our sponsors for providing all the extra goodies so we could try to make everyone feel as if they left with something.

Stream providers and commentators for sitting on them chairs for the majority of the weekend. It's not easy trying to consistently present content for the entire weekend but somehow they managed.

Good to see old and new faces alike. Catching up with you guys is enough for me at OHN I don't know how some of you can play so many hours of games non stop it's quite insane haha. That being said ggs to those I had quick games with during the weekend. I can count all the players on one hand haha.

The interstate rivalry really helped get people on board good shit to those in the 5v5 and the exhibition money matches.

I didn't name any names because I'm afraid I'll leave people out! And a day out of OHN I'm still recovering aiya ...

Offline Dustin

• Forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »
You are very talented and will only help all those who Vs you get better and gain the experience they need if we want to take on the rest of the world.  :p:

Even if it means getting only a few out of 100 games from him over the past few weeks. :(

It's been a long time since I've been to a quite large event, with my first being EVO APAC as a spectator, and now OHNX as a competitor.

A big thanks to those behind the scenes, such as the organizers, volunteers and sponsors.
Smooth event, with a big turnout. Great fun.

Congratulations to the winners of the tournaments, especially fellow Campbelltown friend, Arnold. lol.
I believe TTT2 Runner Up, St. George, is also from Campbelltown, much props to him too! :)

Until next time.  :p:

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
I trust everyone who made the pilgrimage to Sydney to participate in OHN X had a great weekend and enjoyed themselves. The past three days have been pretty demanding and I'm feeling pretty exhausted but in the end I felt the work we put into piecing this thing together paid off.

We managed to achieve the majority of goals we set for the event and I hope we met most of the expectations you all as participants had of us. We did our best to deliver.

On behalf of myself, Youssef, Spencer, Justin and Ziggy I'd like to thank you all for supporting OHN's tenth installment and making the trip to Sydney whether you were an over-enthusiastic Marvel junkie from the Kingdom of Cabramatta right here in Sydney, a highly motivated trekker from Perth, a veteran from Melbourne, a member of team Queensland, a South Australian rep or from anywhere else on the continent. Your support is what makes events like OHN possible first and foremost and we have been only too proud to host an event for you all here in Sydney.

In no particular order we'd also like to thank everyone who assisted in the running and contribution beyond the players. Namely:

- JB and Slapper Joe who lugged in untold volumes of hardware to provide a top notch stream for those who could not make it locally and for those who watched from aboard. This marks the first OHN that has had a stream and it was put together by a dedicated pair of Queenslandian gentlemen.

- Sean (jaunty) and Mike (Goodpart) for providing fine stream and event commentary throughout the day for our Street Fighter brackets and finals. They were also subbed out for various games throughout the weekend, though I apologise for not having the names of these folks on hand. I believe Melbourne's Kyle the Guile and Excessum (of the Shadowloo crew) provided Marvel commentary for example though I know full well there were others - please mention them in this thread so they can also be credited for their contributions also.

- Luke (The Muso) for providing high quality capture of various finals which will be available soon. Luke also lugged in a trailer of equipment to make this task possible adding further to the dedicated team of stream and capture folks.

- Our various volunteers and helpers who helped setup, pack-up, judge and yell at people. Your efforts were truly instrumental in keeping things in order and humming along and we can't thank you enough for your help. Special mention to our friends from Perth who came in record numbers and chipped in massively throughout the weekend. These guys combined with your volunteering peers from Sydney and other states are like the roadies of the gaming world who helped make everything possible. Extra thanks to you all for being proactive in tasks and also taking the initiative to help out various people where it was needed. Also, a huge thanks to Yang, Henry, Benson and Melvin for MCing the weekend. Yang also did a fine job of keeping the brackets rolling and minimised any potential wait times by making sure you were ready to go. And if you weren't, you sure as hell knew about it!

- To our many sponsors and promoters, a huge thanks. In particular to Daniel Chlebowczyk of Madman for not only chipping in with a tonne of promotional work, but also for organsing a mountain of prizes and give-aways for players and participants at the event. Daniel also worked tirelessly on various advertising and promotion for OHN which reeled in a lot of folks whom would otherwise not known of OHN even happening. Daniel and Madman of course were joined by Bandai Namco, THQ, LanSmash, OzHadou, Nintendo, EVO, HES and Timezone.

- The staff at '99 on York' for both tolerating and allowing us to transform their venue into a cave for fighting game aficiondos!

- Matt (CPS2) for providing us with the Combo video presentation on Sunday afternoon. Like all Combo Videos, this raised the usual ooh and ahhs expected combined with the expected utterances of "how the f*ck?" from a bunch watching. I'm of the view its the latter responses that combo video makers secretly enjoy and in this case Matt and his combo video mates certainly delivered.

- Jonno (Jarop), Darve (kyokugen), Runis, Isropia, Henry (Genxa) and their many helpers for piecing together various tournaments in our DIY sections. Namely ST, KOF, Blazblue, Soul Calibur, Third Strike and others for those of you with fighting game tastes perhaps a little more diverse (or perhaps refined?) than those of us sticking to our Tekken, SF or Marvel guns. It was good to see other titles continuing to receive attention no matter how old or obscure they perhaps may be.

- Youssef for repping the Tekken players and for establishing them a dedicated presence at OHN. Youssef worked hard to nail down the requirements for Tekken which went above and beyond what many would expect to be satisfied with consoles to instead delivering three arcade machines to meet the expectations of their scene. No easy feat given the logistics required to move those behemoth cabinets! Tekken has been a challenge to include properly at OHN and with Youssef's help I hope we made some positive steps towards including their community more.

- The Marvel Players and all that entails. You guys are a scene within a scene and with you comes untold volumes of hype and PR. If the weekend had highlights (and points of controversy!) you can bet your ass you guys had a hand in it, and I mean that in a good way. There is no question that Marvel has established a massive foothold in the fighting game community and we were only too happy to do our best to host and attempt to contain you guys and the energy you bring to an event. I hope the Marvel mob felt adequately catered to even though in some instances time conspired against both you and us in terms of scheduling. Hosting a Marvel final (and heavily anticipated exhibition) is a little bit like rolling a hand grenade into a gun powder factory.

- All the players in our finals for ALL games over the weekend and the support from each and every spectator. I think when OHN (or any tournament for that matter) boils down to the finer qualities, its the finals with the support and hype they tend to muster that matters most. Each final had both niche and global supporters which was cool to see. Marvel (no surprises there) seemed to take the hype cake, though IV also raked in hushed silence and uproar until the last (extrapolated) minute.

- Everybody who loaned or donated hardware and setups for the weekend. This allowed us to provide a healthy amount of casual setups on Friday and a mix of tournament and casual setups for Saturday. Special mention to Sydney's YSB regulars - the support of which funded the purchase of many setups for OHN and also our ongoing YSB gatherings. Without their support, OHN would have been a little sparse for setups for all of us to mash around on in between tournament matches and Friday certainly wouldn't have been near as fun.

Thanks to the OHN crew whom invited me to assist this year. Spencer, Youssef, Justin and Ziggy all did a kick ass job on all fronts and its been quite a ride working with them. A lot of stuff went on in the background which I'm sure you can appreciate, though these guys worked pretty damn hard on aspects which never surface throughout the day but are essential to pulling this kind of thing off. Spencer's work on the website design and a million other essential organisational tasks has been extraordinary, likewise for Justin and Ziggy's combined experience and Youssef ploughing away at the Tekken requirements which all together allowed us to plan as best as we could without being overwhelmed.

Special mention to Ziggy though - that is a man whom you can't keep down. His work as tournament director and overseer of all our good, bad and outright stupid ideas during planning has been impressive. His attention to detail and dedication to brackets generation and results recording throughout the entire weekend has been incredible and he deserves a salute by each every one of us who walked through that Red Room door!

Also, as much as things went well, we did have a few issues of which we collectively apologise for. Flawless execution of these things is difficult to achieve though please know that we did our best to keep everybody as happy as we could. Scheduling towards the end of Saturday evening and also Sunday began to run tight which combined with 99 on York's rigid policies for us to leave at certain times meant we had to invoke some overlap and hasten some aspects which we all knew full well needed a little more breathing room. I feel this was perhaps our biggest issue and its definitely something we are aware of. Just as I ask of the Sydney guys with the YSB events, if you feel there were areas we could improve on, please let us know by all means. Positive feedback is always welcomed though I am always keen to learn of things that you guys as participants felt could be improved on. When organising its difficult to see things from the player's perspective so these are the main things I want to hear about personally.

Lastly, I personally want to thank all of the states for taking the time and financial hit to travel to Sydney to support us. It was awesome to see you all having a great time throughout the weekend and I certainly learned a great deal too. It was especially cool to see familiar faces again as its been a long time since I've been out of Sydney for an event. All states committed massive groups of players all of whom are kick ass people. Sorry I couldn't find enough time to talk to a lot of you, though it was still awesome to say hello and briefly catch up with those whom I did.

Moment of the weekend? I probably have a few but the first is perhaps seeing the volunteer crew on Friday night spring into immediate action once we started bringing in equipment and transform an empty room into a fighting gamer's convention center - incredible. Second was how well received the Friday night social/casual session went down. This was an experiment for us and it was great to see people kicking back and having a good time with it. Antman VS kg? Not much to add to that - the atmosphere of that face-off spoke for itself, as did the insane support of Team Melbourne backing their lad and fattening their wallets in the process. I suspect those Sydney dollars make for some satisfying spending. Fourth would be Sydney's Arnold Desu carving himself an incredible path through the Marvel tournament with his signature grin plastered across his face. Fifth would (finally!) be seeing Rob and Toxy face off in SFIV in an incredibly tense match which had us all rigid with anticipation. And finally, seeing Shang Tsung grabbing Xian by the horns and refusing to let go until the bitter end in a very tense SFIV grand final was a treat to watch.

And with that I realised I've typed far too much waffle and Spencer is going to give me (another) lesson on brevity. Thanks all for a great weekend and I trust you all had safe journeys back home. Time for you all to recuperate and then get back on the horse and show the same support and enthusiasm for the forthcoming Shadowloo Showdown tournament! Keep supporting each other and your local scenes and we all can only continue to make gatherings like these even better.

- Shane/Gamogo
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline St. George

• Forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Congratulations to the winners of the tournaments, especially fellow Campbelltown friend, Arnold. lol.
I believe TTT2 Runner Up, St. George, is also from Campbelltown, much props to him too! :)

It's just that Campbelltown mentality man. We don't want to make that long ass trip for no reason so we go hard in the lab   :dpf: :p:

I had a fantastic time playing and spectating this year. So many people have so much fun and it's basically all because a couple of guys give up their time and put in the work to make it all happen. Just running the tournaments is a big ask so to stick on prize draws and a live stream is just a superhuman effort. Consider my hat tipped.

This is a feedback thread so I'll tack on a couple of things that come to mind.

1) I missed joining SCV because I wasn't aware sign ups were happening. I don't think PA announcements were made for the smaller tournaments in terms of when and how to sign up, or if one was then it's a good idea to repeat it in case I was mid match or on the can etc. If they were made repeatedly then please forgive my ignorance

2) The combo video was played during the Tekken top 8. I know this was due to time constraints but I really think something else should have been worked out considering it was loud and distracting for both the competitors and anyone who might have otherwise been watching the TTT2 finals. Plus, I really wanted to watch it too.

Already looking forward to OHN11

Offline Goodpart

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:19 AM »
- Sean (jaunty) and Mike (Goodpart) for providing fine stream and event commentary throughout the day for our Street Fighter brackets and finals. They were also subbed out for various games throughout the weekend, though I apologise for not having the names of these folks on hand. I believe Melbourne's Kyle the Guile and Excessum (of the Shadowloo crew) provided Marvel commentary for example though I know full well there were others - please mention them in this thread so they can also be credited for their contributions also.
I GOT THIS SHIT DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT THAT

Sean and I were tasked with being "head stream commentators" for the weekend and while we were stoked to be named as much, we also realised we didn't know anything about games other than SF4. So we hunted around and found some dudes who would be kind enough to fill in for us. So without further ado, from our little corner of the room:

Thanks to Youssef, Saiyuk, Weng, Hai, Colin, Kyle, Derrick, Henry, Melvin, Dark Chaotix, Berzerk, Ace and Rob for helping in commentary, as well as guys like Arnold, Xian, Ali and others for being so obliging when it came to having a word with us at the desk. Sorry to anyone I may have promised some words with but never got around to talking to due to time. Also a big thanks to anyone else that I may have missed seeing/hearing during dinner runs/various other tasks during the weekend. Without all of you guys Sean and I would probably still be stammering like idiots trying to find something interesting to say about Marvel.

Fun as it is, providing commentary that doesn't cause the stream monsters to fly into a nerd rage is hard as hell, and from what I've read since (and some people I've spoken to on the side), everyone was happy. From where I'm standing, that's a huge success and a big step forward when it comes to legitimising Australia's presence within the scene.

Also a huge thanks to the stream fairies for running errands, the players for giving us so many reasons to talk about them, and of course JB and Slapper for being the unconquerable stream titans. Sorry we couldn't shout you drinks all weekend. We tried our best.

OHN is one of the highlights of my year and if nothing else I'm just really happy to see old friends and meet new ones. The fact that we can put on a ridiculous tournament like that is just the icing on the cake. Hopefully next year we can go bigger and better.

-Mike
fe ilnog~