Author Topic: Vergil - Finishing touches  (Read 8518 times)

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: Vergil - Finishing touches
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »
After obtaining fraudulent wins with vergil I realised that I actually haven't posted up techniques used to keep the opponent in the sword loop and prevent them from falling out of it midloop.  The most important thing in implementing the techniques is to observe the position of the opponent when the sword super animation freeze occurs and implement the appropriate solution.  The reference position that will be referred to below is approximately when the sword belt created by vergil is touching the thighs of the opponent's sprite.  These are the three scenarios that occur during that freeze state:

1 -  Opponent's sprite is higher than reference position:

Hold down then quickly and directly execute first dp m of loop.  This will make vergil crouch temporarily, causing opponent to drop slightly to reference position, preventing possibility of dropping out of combo.  The dp m must be done directly from vergil's crouching position and vergil cannot be allowed to be in a standing position afterwards otherwise the opponent will pop back up to incorrect position and fall out of combo during first dp m.  Also dp m must be done quickly as soon as vergil is in crouching position otherwise same result will occur in regards to incorrect position.  Basically vergil has to crouch then do dp m in one smooth and quick motion to ensure success.

2 - Opponent's sprite is at reference position or below it but still caught by sword belt:

Do dp m straight away as soon as the freeze finishes.  Do not delay dp m too much or do scenario one technique otherwise opponent will once again pop out in the middle of dp m.

3 - Opponent's sprite misses swords belt and is in soft knockdown rolling state:

This means that you activated the swords super way too late and the opponent is trying to roll out of situation.  If this occurs you can mixup your opponent with l and m tracking teleports and start a new combo with swords if they guess wrong.

These techniques apply to most of the characters although there are characters such as phoenix wright, frank west and wesker whos sprites look slightly higher or lower than they really are so you have to adjust the reference point in this situation and then act according to original scenarios.  Also the big characters are generally a bit weird to do sword loops against so i generally reset or just do the double dp sword loop once. 

After the first dp m finishes it is generally a good idea to walk back slightly according to how much time you have left on swords super before releasing roundtrip as it gives you space to see when to initiate loop commands.  It also prevents possible popping out during the release of roundtrip if not enough of the roundtrip has touched the opponent and cause enough hitstun for the loop to continue. 

As mentioned in first post, any questions or corrections are to be stated and I will amend accordingly.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Peter

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
The starter

M, H, toward + H,   :dpf: L xx (mash H for teleport down), super jump, M, H, S .....

Seems really important to build enough meter for the sword loops. Is their another starter that may do less damage, but will still build the meter and is execution easier?

I find the super jump, M, H, S after teleport down really hard to connect because I can't tell where Vergil is.

Is there a good tip to landing the super jump, M, H, S after the teleport?
Canberra Fighting Game League Tournament Organiser.

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
The starter

M, H, toward + H,   :dpf: L xx (mash H for teleport down), super jump, M, H, S .....

Seems really important to build enough meter for the sword loops. Is their another starter that may do less damage, but will still build the meter and is execution easier?

I find the super jump, M, H, S after teleport down really hard to connect because I can't tell where Vergil is.

Is there a good tip to landing the super jump, M, H, S after the teleport?

What I do is mash H for the H teleport immediately after I see the :dpf: L move animation until the H teleport animation begins.  Then as soon as I see the H teleport cancelled from the  :dpf: L, I do the down, up-forward motion straight away for the superjump then press M immediately after inputting up-forward.  So you need to use the animation of the H teleport as a visual cue to do the superjump and make sure you press that M straight away almost as if you are pressing up-forward and M at the same time but with the slightest gap.

The combo becomes very easy once you get used to it as long as you practice it consistently, play more people with vergil and attempt to implement the combo in your gameplay.  Keep at it bro.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZeroX03

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
im scrub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuRisnpx7G0

Good shit son.  No disrespect intended but whats your real name cause i don't recognise your gamertag.  Also if you are from sydney are you coming down tomorrow to ysb at york st.  Come get your marvel on son. ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZeroX03

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
im scrub

Good shit son.  No disrespect intended but whats your real name cause i don't recognise your gamertag.  Also if you are from sydney are you coming down tomorrow to ysb at york st.  Come get your marvel on son. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks dude. My name is Baraa, I'm apart of the Melb FGC.

I hardly play online as it's not that good, but sometimes it's OK. Add me if you have PSN, ZeroX03. Cheers

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
im scrub

Thanks dude. My name is Baraa, I'm apart of the Melb FGC.

I hardly play online as it's not that good, but sometimes it's OK. Add me if you have PSN, ZeroX03. Cheers

Hey if its not too much trouble is it possible to get some notation for the combovideo u put up?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jarop

PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
Notations for zero/vergil dhc:

Airthrow (hold A for buster), land, call assist (rapidslash), j.qcf+C, (assist hits), dash, s.C (3 hits), f+C(3 hits), launch, sj.B, sj.B, sj.C (3 hits), sj.S, land, j.qcf+C, release A (lvl 3 buster), j.dp+A (df lightning), call assist (jam session), pause, S, sj.dp+H (uf lightning), sj.qcf+C, super dhc swords (hold A), j.B, J.B, j.C, land sj.C, sj.S, release A (sword), S, land (sword hits), qcf+A, c.C, f+C, qcb+B, c.C, dp+B, df+C, super.

Should be pretty close to that.

I still find it easier to LL than to do the dhc though.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline laiger

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
Just a small tidbit I might add. If you do cr.H xx sword super after the cr.H xx qcf+L the opponent is automatically in the correct reference position most of the time (there are very few cases where they are too high but it is easy to spot). The cr.H basically drops the opponent height to the correct position so you can do lunar phase straight away.

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Just a small tidbit I might add. If you do cr.H xx sword super after the cr.H xx qcf+L the opponent is automatically in the correct reference position most of the time (there are very few cases where they are too high but it is easy to spot). The cr.H basically drops the opponent height to the correct position so you can do lunar phase straight away.

I see a lot of vergil players use this method for the loop and i find that you can miss the down h a lot of times due to any changes or delays in the dp m or release of RT.  Also down h is missed a lot of times because it is stricter than the loop method I use which allows you to cancel into sword hyper at any point that the judgement cut is hitting the opponent, especially in pressure situations such as tournament play.

Of course u can make a similar case with my loop method cause if u don't do dp m straight from crouching in the case of reference point being high, they will pop out.  You will however have them in a mixup air reset situation since u have a little bit of the swords left.

In the end its up to the player to decide which method they prefer and can stick more consistently but both methods are good.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline jarop

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
So the key theme with the levelling up Frank West with Vergil seems to be save the ground bounce for the DP+M so Frank has enough time to raw tag in. Does anybody have any tips to get a solo Vergil (no OTG assist) into swords loops? Not using Air.S is a bit tricky

Some strings I've found so far that work consistently are:
M, H, F+H, activate swords into garbage (actually not too bad given how many hits you use but obviously the extra meter isn't optimal)
M, H (call frank), F+H, roundtrip into garbage (The obviously problem with this is you can no longer use the shopping cart for mix-ups, the main reason to play frank with Vergil)

I've been trolling through the little footage of Justin Wong playing that team but have been unable to find much so far apart from obvious rapid slash into swords cancel. Any tips you guys have would be appreciated

PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

Offline jfizzman

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 06:01:20 AM »
Yo i just picked up frank myself but i gotta test the consistency of my combos before i post.  Hang in there son. :D :D :D

Offline jarop

Vergil - Finishing touches
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »
I have some zero bar level 5 combos with zero / Vergil / Frank which I'll post up once I land them consistently too!
PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

Offline Deathwish

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
The only combo I can think of off the top of my head if you want to Level up Frank with Vergil on point is:

L (Hold), M, H, F+H, activate swords, H, F+H, M Teleport, H, F+H, Round Trip, Cr. H, Judgement Cut, Cr. H, Lunar Phase, Tag Frank, Camera Snap into Hyper.

Hope that helps.