Author Topic: Skullgirls topic  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Skullgirls topic
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

Game is dropping this month, Australia seems unreasonably unhype for it. Game looks legit, Double and Ms Fortune ftw, Getting on release day, what are your thoughts on the game?
hugos foot, it looks like a duck

Re: Skullgirls topic
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Gameplay LOOKS amazing.

Major problem this game is going to have is the art style.  It's way to niche and fetish for people to look at and go "hey, that looks fun." Most people see it and see giant Anime boobs and go "yeah, no."

I'm hoping people pick it up, but I don't think they will, especially not in Australia.

I wanna rock Peacock and Parasoul.
Play Skullgirls

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Major problem this game is going to have is the art style.  It's way to niche and fetish for people to look at and go "hey, that looks fun." Most people see it and see giant Anime boobs and go "yeah, no."

I wouldn't say this game looks like anime, characters like peacock and double look wholly western influenced. and the animation is just so beautiful and fluid. also the only "giant boobs" i can think of in this game are that teacher character...

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
The art and sound design is atrocious in my opinion and like Kyle has said, it will no doubt put many people off what is otherwise a game supposedly pretty solid in the gameplay department.

I have my suspicions this will wind up as a very niche title.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »
okay the sound i agree with... the characters sound cringe worthy and make lame puns/memes all the time.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
Sadly, everytime Mike Z is out promoting his game, he has to defend the artwork and the way the game looks. And this is to people who are CORE fighting game players, who are normally willing to look past graphics and play whatever is good. This game looks to be super niche, which sucks, because it has TONS of features people have been asking in a whole bunch of games.

God, if this game looked better we'd be talking about it like a Marvel killer. Now, we're worreid it might not get an audience AT ALL.
Play Skullgirls

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
what exactly is so bad about the art... it looks really good. to me the cel shaded art in sf4 and sfxt looks like two dumb monkeys fighting each other.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
what exactly is so bad about the art... it looks really good.

It looks really good IF you're into that artstyle. The individual frames of the character are animated REALLY, REALLY well. The problem is, is that the artstyle itself is the problem, not the actual art itself.
Play Skullgirls

Offline Timic83

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
so people aren't into a 2D modern western animation artstyle with anime influences, and into sfxt's artstyle... does not compute

Offline Fireryda

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
i would say it looks a lot more appealing than anime games..
huehuehuehuehue

Offline jarop

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

This.

I'll be getting my weeaboo on for sure though, this looks legit.
PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »
God I have been typing using ALL CAPS for emphasis a lot in this thread.
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
I wouldn't say this game looks like anime, characters like peacock and double look wholly western influenced. and the animation is just so beautiful and fluid. also the only "giant boobs" i can think of in this game are that teacher character...
Uh, Cerebella, Parasoul and Valentine have pretty big tits dude, and the three of them (and Filia and top) all have some pretty painful looking gainaxing going on.

Amusingly the other 4 characters aren't sexualized at all. (Okay, Ms Fortune a bit, but really not much). I think a large part of the problem people's perception is really the order of characters revealed, If the first three characters had been more like "character based on 20s toons, sexy secretary, horrible mutated monster, sexy circus performer" instead of "sexy school girl, sexy circus performer, character based on 20s toons, sexy secretary" people might have had less problem with the art, but as a small company who was releasing characters as they were created, that might not have been much of an option.

I mean seriously, your first character is a curvy, bouncing schoolgirl who has a bunch of panty shots, YES you're going to get complaints, especially because it's such a fucking cliche in fighting games, I swear, if I'm ever involved in making a fighting game, somewhere on the first page of the design document is going to be "No God-Damned School Girls!".

The art and sound design is atrocious in my opinion and like Kyle has said, it will no doubt put many people off what is otherwise a game supposedly pretty solid in the gameplay department.

I have my suspicions this will wind up as a very niche title.
You don't like the sound design? Could you elaborate? Voices? Sound Effects? Music? I'm not sure I'm going to end up playing this game, but I am going to buy and listen to the soundtrack, I really like it.
This game glorifies violence. I love it for this reason.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
Today I learnt a wonderful new word, "gainaxing."
Play Skullgirls

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
i would say it looks a lot more appealing than anime games..

lol
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules