Author Topic: [SFxT] So how's everyone finding it?  (Read 13754 times)

Offline Sxio

[SFxT] So how's everyone finding it?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Reading the SRK forums, you'd think it was the 2nd coming of christ. So many fan boys.

But  I just feel a big 'meh' regarding this game. It's fun, but it just seems like work to learn more combos, more techniques, more characters and gems on top of it all.

I also HATE the cartoony visuals. The amount of BS in the backgrounds is ridiculous and off putting. I much prefer the design of SF4 where it's at least a little bit more serious. Where's the green highway level? Where's the back alley? Cool looking backgrounds that don't have too much craziness happening in them.

And I don't know why, but when the first round is over, and the losing team stands up and jumps down to the next level, I think that looks so stupid. It's like the designers said "another game did this so we will too". I just don't see the point.

And it's fast. Really fast. I often feel like I just can't react in time to counter stuff, so it ends up a mash fest, a block fest or I just try to stay on the offensive so I don't have to worry about countering. Which means I don't learn as much because I'm only attacking.

Plus the copious amounts of DLC coming. I can understand them charging for new costumes. Kinda. But only giving me 4 preset colours in the customisation menu? Seriously? They're going to charge for colours now?  That's just too much for me. If you can give me 4 colours for free, you can give me unlimited colours. They've actively set it up this way so they can charge for the feature. Well after paying for 2 or 3 costume packs for SF4 (on PS3, so they do NOT work on my PC), I'm done with capcom DLC. You just don't see enough return for your dough.

I haven't played the game in 3 days. And yesterday I was keen to get some fighting action in... so I booted up SF4 on my PC and it was like a glass of cool water after walking in the desert.

So right now, I'm thinking I'm gonna ebay SF X Tekken. I gave it a go and it's not for me. It's just another fighter in a WAY too over crowded genre.

Street Fighter 2 HD, Street Fighter 3, Street Fighter 4, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and now Street Fighter X Tekken. And soon Darkstalkers. And of course, Super Street Fighter X Tekken. These are all from the same company! Capcom have learned NOTHING from what happened years ago, and are flooding the market. Now they've gotten so into DLC, they're basically hooking up a shoppping cart to the game as well. It's not designed to give you a better experience. You've already got the best game they could make. They just want to sell more colours, gems, auto-combos or costumes to make even more money. At least bioware give you new levels and stories for your DLC. Capcom just give you extra stuff that you do the same stuff with as what you already had.

It's just an opinion. If you're loving the game, I'd love to know what you love about it. I don't hate it, it IS fun. I just don't feel that spark of 'this is awesome!' that will keep me playing month after month like I got with SF4.

I more feel like they just want me to turn my brain off and open my wallet for as long as possible. And I'm sorry guys, but I'm just not into that. I want something that feels like it has value for my money. And I want my gaming to be fun. Not to just feel like more work. I already have a job.

What does everyone else think of the game? Is it the best fighting game ever and I've just got it all wrong? Or do you agree that it's just another tiny incremental update, with way more pre-programmed ways to take our money than every before?

findlay_stuart

Re: So how's everyone finding it?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
I'm reserving judgment right now although I do agree with a lot of your points. Especially with regards DLC. 

To quote Eddie Murphy -

" If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this: Goddamn, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life! That ain't no regular cracker, was it? What was that, a Saltine? Goddamn, that was delicious. That wasn't no Saltine. That was... That was a Ritz. That wasn't a Ritz? God, that was the best cracker I ever ate in my life."

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm eating a cracker or not. I'll give it a few months (or til the next patch) for sure though, right now it's fun to play. It just seems like it's doomed to failure. 

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
I personally view it as an unfinished, half-baked and rushed release completely bankrupt of the precision and tight controls otherwise signature to Capcom fighters. It feels cludgy to play, kinda sloppy. Definitely an Ono title.

What's interesting is putting down SFxT and having a shot at IV again. Its incredible how much tighter and responsive that game feels in comparison. The clarity of how matches pan out is very refreshing.

Its still early days with this game though and its pretty clear its itching for a patch out of the box. Perhaps when that happens some of the game's negative aspects (for me) get addressed, otherwise I can't see myself giving it any real attention.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

findlay_stuart

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
I personally view it as an unfinished, half-baked and rushed release completely bankrupt of the precision and tight controls otherwise signature to Capcom fighters. It feels cludgy to play, kinda sloppy.

Again I'd agree with this although I think the design and sound decisions play a big part in that. It does seem like a rough beta version of a better game. Still , I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until that first patch.

Button/command choices don't seem well thought out, but I guess that's going to happen when you slap so many options on the plate.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
I'm really enjoying it, even though I haven't played overly much yet, I guess the combo system is a lot more forgiving than ssfiv, hard to call between them but I want to stay hype for this in the hopes it does well and brings more new players into FGC aus.

few gripes but i'm still having a lot of fun with it.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
I am with Findlay. I wanna say I gave it a good go.
Just seems like there is too much shoved into one game.
I still just want new alternates in AE and maybe stages. :\ That's all.
Shadowloo TEC4LIFE

Meeks

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Just had my first taste. I'm not liking the Sonic The Hedgehog-esque backdrops  >:(

Offline aadm

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
Boring. Everytime I turn it on, I end up going afk just from sheer boredom...

Just went on then and sat in ranked searching for a game for 20mins, not one game came up...

Offline Sxio

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
" If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this: Goddamn, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life! That ain't no regular cracker, was it? What was that, a Saltine? Goddamn, that was delicious. That wasn't no Saltine. That was... That was a Ritz. That wasn't a Ritz? God, that was the best cracker I ever ate in my life." 

Brilliant quote. So true. If I hadn't played a fighting game since SF2 on the SNES, I'd be loving SF X Tekken.

Offline Sxio

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
I am with Findlay. I wanna say I gave it a good go.
Just seems like there is too much shoved into one game.
I still just want new alternates in AE and maybe stages. :\ That's all.

Same. New stages would be awesome. And maybe some new moves? I still think there's so much life left in SF4, it's a shame that they're concentrating on developing other fighting games, and by doing so further reducing the pool of players playing street fighter.

One of the biggest problems is that I don't think the fighting game community is expanding very quickly. It's getting more popular but it's still pretty niche. So by having 10 pretty good fighting titles on the market, the same pool of players is roughly divided by 10. And when you have 1 company responsible for 6 or more of these games... they're fishing the pond dry. Exactly what they did 20 years ago, when they became crazy popular the last time.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
Game is fun :) Online is trash :(
Play Skullgirls

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »
There are many things that reviewers should be warning people about when it comes to SFxT but most of them are ignoring the game's sloppy presentation. I can understand that for SF4 - it was the first time SF reared its head in the PS3/X360 age of gaming. However if reviewers are going to whine about a lack of modes in MvC3 they're being far too kind towards SFxT.

The core gameplay isn't bad IMO, assuming people find a way to do more damage more quickly. That seems likely - it's only been a week since release and the engine has plenty of potential in it. Feeling "different" to SF4 is not a problem given SF4 feels nothing like any other SF game. TBH I'm pleased so many people find it different to SF4. Personally it's still got too much SF4 in it for me, but that can't be helped given it's been built from SF4.

I'm more concerned about all the dumb decisions they've made for SFxT outside of the game engine, including the obvious stuff like the dodgy netcode and the awful Gem config method. If time permits I'll make a list, though I was really hoping someone else would have done it by now. I've only tried someone else's copy of the game for a couple of hours and I have a lengthy list of design flaws (unrelated to the game engine - I won't play this game seriously, if at all :P). I feel people are being far too generous towards Capcom given how much they've failed to learn despite spending over 3 years tinkering with SF4.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »
I like the game , not sure if I love it. I hate the dlc fisting we are all about to cop

While I like it I wonder if they just left it as a 1 v1 it would've been tighter. Right now it feels like writing a song with too many parts. At times it really grooves but it all gets disjointed easily.

I can see with This game how capcom Is trying to grow the fighting game community with design choices but you know what , the fighting game community is a niche market. It's unforgiving from day 1. Unless you love the game your gonna buy the game and give up after 6 or 7 hours gettin whipped online. There is no other way to get better other than lose and learn .That's not for everyone.

It would be better if they just embrace who plays their games long term if you ask me

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
Not the best game capcom have made but much better than SF4.

CPS2

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Quote from: Sxio
And when you have 1 company responsible for 6 or more of these games... they're fishing the pond dry. Exactly what they did 20 years ago, when they became crazy popular the last time.
Yeah since SFxTK came out, I've noticed a lot less people are playing MvC2, 3S and HDR. Exactly the same thing that happened back in 1992 with champion edition and hyper fighting, really killed the world warrior community.