Author Topic: [SFxT] So how's everyone finding it?  (Read 14271 times)

findlay_stuart

Re: So how's everyone finding it?
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »
Weird? The netcode is one of the better aspects of the game for me and I'm in Perth.

I've not had any problems in around 30-40 online matches. I do seem to get the same person a lot of the time but I think that's just because after the games we both search and get matched up again.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
The one thing that is really bugging me about this game is the lack of any meaningful relationship between the frame data, hitboxes and animations. They seem to have done the animations to look cool, and then ajusted the framedata and hitboxes for balance afterwards, but didn't go back and readjust the animations.

It's frustrating because, at least when I was first learning vanilla SF4, moves with bad recovery generally looked like they had vad recovery. This is no longer the case, and the only way around seems to be to try and learn the frame data for everything. Frustrating.

I completely agree. It's going to take 3 times as long to learn and remember frame data, purely because almost everything is mashable and safe at the same time, plus block stun, plus slow ass characters. 

As each day goes by I can't be fucked, I think I'll lay this down and wait to see what comes of the patch.

I've been trying to play a patient , look for an opening (with no sound) and punish type game but to be honest I think there's more success to be had mashing on the buttons and frothing at the mouth.

It's not even like I can tell where I'm going wrong when I get beat, so I can't fix it. Wake up especially, I try to pressure they either roll or mash jab into launcher , I've just been letting people get up and then go again after. It's seems I'm at a bigger disadvantage if I knock THEM down. ;D :o

Not a disadvantage, but less of an advantage by half. Rolls are a problem for keep away characters because... playing Gief and landing on fireballs? NW just roll forward and you're a 1/4 screen closer to him. I think they wanted to avoid stuff like the Ibuki, Akuma, Viper and Seth vortices from AE. They're just RPS scenarios where you have to guess right.

Offline aadm

« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Weird? The netcode is one of the better aspects of the game for me and I'm in Perth.

I've not had any problems in around 30-40 online matches. I do seem to get the same person a lot of the time but I think that's just because after the games we both search and get matched up again.

I haven't had a problem in endless lobbies. Only ranked.

findlay_stuart

« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

Not a disadvantage, but less of an advantage by half. Rolls are a problem for keep away characters because... playing Gief and landing on fireballs? NW just roll forward and you're a 1/4 screen closer to him. I think they wanted to avoid stuff like the Ibuki, Akuma, Viper and Seth vortices from AE. They're just RPS scenarios where you have to guess right.

I just don't get it though, there's no skill involved, the games coming down to guesses.

On wake up I'm losing to just random random shit.

Try an overhead? mashed jabs into Launcher.
Pressure ? EX masher into tag combo (the favourite)
Pressure? Rolls away
Pressure ? press something anything
Pressure? Their jabs beat my jabs (WTF?) and I'm in the sky again. 

I'm waiting on coming across someone that's going to show me how you deal with these things but every single player I play, good or bad, does something on wake up making it more of a lottery for me than them. Even the Roll has to be anticipated and then if you try and punish and miss your up for another jab launcher. That's what I'm saying, there's no momentum, you knock someone down, your better off standing back and see which of the plethora of options they'll choose.

In turn if someone comes near me, I try and block and wait it out, but I'm starting to think fuck it, I may as well run the 50/50 and see if I come off better then burn the bar for the tag if I don't.

I mean people are throwing full screen air specials and all sorts. You know I'm not even salty about it, I think I'm just disappointed that it's so...... I don't even know. Perhaps the 25 minutes I've got to wait while everything gets set up only to be randomed the fuck out is having an effect..  :P

I'm not even losing that much, but when I do I'm not seeing any great deal of skill involved.

What are you doing when you knock someone down? give me an example.

Offline zgnoud

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
The one thing that is really bugging me about this game is the lack of any meaningful relationship between the frame data, hitboxes and animations. They seem to have done the animations to look cool, and then ajusted the framedata and hitboxes for balance afterwards, but didn't go back and readjust the animations.

It's frustrating because, at least when I was first learning vanilla SF4, moves with bad recovery generally looked like they had vad recovery. This is no longer the case, and the only way around seems to be to try and learn the frame data for everything. Frustrating.

You know what... i completely agree here. Add on top of that overhead/low attacks (such as heihachi) that doesn't even look like a bloody overhead/low attack!

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »

The most reliable thing I've found is jumping towards them the moment you see the roll. Depending on how floaty your character is you should land on them as they're getting up and in my case, even I don't know which side of you I'm going to land on - depends where I was standing when you rolled.

Mostly it depends on your character though, who are you using? Also, from your post, you need to check the timings of your moves if your meaties are getting jabbed out - that shouldn't be happening.

findlay_stuart

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

The most reliable thing I've found is jumping towards them the moment you see the roll. Depending on how floaty your character is you should land on them as they're getting up and in my case, even I don't know which side of you I'm going to land on - depends where I was standing when you rolled.

Mostly it depends on your character though, who are you using? Also, from your post, you need to check the timings of your moves if your meaties are getting jabbed out - that shouldn't be happening.

Will you connect though? or they can block in time? I watched Zgnoud punish derrace (2 players I play with sometimes) with Hugo's crouching fierce (I'm assuming), but I can't seem to replicate that. Obviously Hugo's foot being the entire length of the screen might have something to do with that.

Are there any vulnerable parts of the roll frame wise? and if so how long?

I must be timing my meaty's wrong, but I'm not familiar with the wake up times for each character.

I was playing Sagat and Nina, until Nina seemed too all or or nothing, then I switched to (lame) Ryu and Sagat just so I could use my SF basics to get a handle on what was going on. But I've just played a few games with Guile and his jab pressure is much better than Sagatts, so I think I might run Ryu/Guile for a while.

I did put a bit of time into Kazuya but I found myself jumping or mist stepping randomly just to get an opening.

Are you on X-box? I'll add you if you are.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »
Rolls are 100% invulnerable and have 0 recovery frames. What you're describing with Hugo looked like someone was trying to jump or press buttons after rolling, but other than the fact you moved a 1/4 screen forward, it's exactly the same as standing up normally.

Guile in some ways suffers a lot from rolling, IMO. Kinda hard to turtle (which I think is still Guile's purpose) when someone can roll right up to you on a knockdown. I would just try crouching with a boom charged and alternate between the backfist (catch jumpers and maybe backdashes) and doing nothing (in case they're mashing DP) if they roll. Sonic boom if they quickstand/do nothing. You can try empty jumping when you see a roll. I've never used Guile so that's just a bunch of speculation lol.

Ryu is godlike at dealing with rolls, just like everything else. Stand just outside cr.MP range and if you see a roll do a sweep, special charge, dash cancel, then you're in their face at frame advantage. Eventually you'll notice that if they don't roll, they take a little longer to wake up (unless they're quickstanding - I think you can't roll if you tech a knockdown), that's when you cr.MP which links into about 200 other normals. If they have a habit of quickstanding you can jump in on soft knockdowns (unless I'm wrong about not being able to roll away after quickstanding). Of course you've also got to be prepared for reversal mashers but meaty or almost-meaty cr.MP and sweep should beat people brainlessly jabbing on wake up. Like Somniac said this game forces you to make reads and commit to stuff. Plus, it's more about the standing 'footsie' game than knockdown OS and vortex setups.

I only play online to troll or for the scramble lulz.

Offline kingtua

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
im liking this game atm.
sure its a bit different to sf4, but so what, try to learn the game which im trying very hard to do.
watch replays of top players, eventhubs is always updated,well the news section is.

i cant believe ppl on here complain and still use the street fighter characters.
ryu is op no doubt. when i play a good ryu online i feel he is still the same as sf4 but better, with that cancelling fireball thing, its very hard to get around it when they are playing defensive.
rolling thunder, Corkscrew cross, Keep it classy K.O!!!!!

findlay_stuart

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
Good advice, I'll work on it.

The game is still incredibly mash friendly though. I thought it was supposed to be the opposite.

Anyway's I suppose I should stop whinging and just play. Can't take t seriously though, too many things getting on my goat  ;D

I cant believe ppl on here complain and still use the street fighter characters.

To be honest most of the characters have a degree of bullshitery about them, it's not the characters though, it's the game mechanics. Mashed EX reversal can lead to 400 damage. At least in SF your mashing has little reward.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:36 AM »
Good advice, I'll work on it.

The game is still incredibly mash friendly though. I thought it was supposed to be the opposite.

Anyway's I suppose I should stop whinging and just play. Can't take t seriously though, too many things getting on my goat  ;D

I cant believe ppl on here complain and still use the street fighter characters.

To be honest most of the characters have a degree of bullshitery about them, it's not the characters though, it's the game mechanics. Mashed EX reversal can lead to 400 damage. At least in SF your mashing has little reward.

I think you're overlooking the whole FADC thing. In my first ever SF4 game I got a Ken player coming at me with DP>FADC>DP>FADC>DP. My reaction was :|. Never really liked that game much lol.

In this game mashed reversals are more often than not unsafe whether you have meter or not, and a bunch of them, even the EX ones, get plain stuffed by jabs. That's why people think it's not very mash friendly. It's just that some characters like our favourite grinning all american champ can get away with mash happy mashing when they have meter.

Offline kingtua

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:34 AM »
@Stuart i didnt mean to step on your toes or anything.
you know what i was the same as you at the start,

the mashing is still the same as sf4 jst bait the jabs and punish with best reach  light normal
you have and chain link it.

the only thing i hate about this game is the chain link, too easy
rolling thunder, Corkscrew cross, Keep it classy K.O!!!!!

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
You know what... i completely agree here. Add on top of that overhead/low attacks (such as heihachi) that doesn't even look like a bloody overhead/low attack!

hehe, <3 heihachi

people get baited so hard by doing the start of the overhead, then just stop and do a low kick chain into launcher instead  :P its my favourite strategy atm, and jumping, always jumping
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »

hehe, <3 heihachi

people get baited so hard by doing the start of the overhead, then just stop and do a low kick chain into launcher instead  :P its my favourite strategy atm, and jumping, always jumping

I like to mix it up, go lp hp (low hit) then light counter. they usually try to mash out of it haha. Catch them then free combooo.

GirlsDigMyScore

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2012, 06:03:44 AM »
Scramble mode ... WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT? You get enough random lameness in a 1v1...

I also found often when I'm throwing out jabs it seems to get beaten by jabs or mp or whatever really, basically just beat out constantly. Standing overhead attack seems too risky and most players are just constantly crouch blocking constantly waiting to punish jump ins. So basically I just jump HP with Dahlsim forever...