Author Topic: [SFxT] So how's everyone finding it?  (Read 14070 times)

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: So how's everyone finding it?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
In a nutshell? I don't have the attention span for 51 minutes of that :(

CPS2

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
A bit of a summary...

As far as gameplay goes:

Keits is saying gems don't matter at all, doesn't see a point in equipping any types of gems even when playing online.
U.David says assist gems are broken when used with meter build gems. He thinks the effects of boost gems are not that significant, aside from meter build gems which are good.
Skisonic says meter build gems change the game in a significant way.
Brandon agrees with U.David that assist gems are broken and should be banned. Boost gems are not significant enough to be banned, wants to try them out in tournaments.

For tournament organisation:

Brandon says he's used to setting up a million options in Smash Bros, and can run events on schedule, and also runs Capcom games on schedule. He wants to ban assist gems only.
Skisonic says maybe some tournaments should give gems a shot to see what happens (including all types of gems).
U.David expects tournaments to ban gems.
Keits says gems aren't practical, wants them banned in tournaments.

Offline KellyNUTS

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
Without a doubt gems will be banned in tourneys! At least for this season.
I got a chance to play on a mates hacked version yesterday with the unlocked dlc and every character had 5 gem slots!! Theres also EX games which seem to take 2 slots(not 100% didnt get to test this properly), these are ultra powerful and will destroy the timer porblem imo.
BUT the biggest problem is the rolling out of the extra gem slots, what a nightmare it is to change your gameplan when they release it. This game may be successful, but not anytime soon!

Also I have a funny feeling that eventually the X360 local/online co-op thing will be resolved/patched, probably around the same time as Sonys 2 character exclusive runs out.  ;)
"Now just stand still. Move, and the wound will be deeper." - Leona Heidern

Offline Sxio

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Well I'm out. Still haven't played again. It never blew me away before release but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I just have no desire to play it. The gems thing in particular puts me right off. Less is more sometimes I think. This game is just more. Of everything and I've got enough going on in my life already. I just don't have the time to dedicate to another fighting game.

She's going up on ebay on monday night. Along with my PS3, copy of SF4 and my PS3 TE stick. I'm just going to stick to PC from now on. Netcode on PS3 is appalling and after that BS with sony customer support a few weeks back, I'm over a lot of things. Gonna simplify my lounge room right up.

Only thing I'm gonna miss is the DLC costumes for SF4.

Offline Zeekin

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:01 AM »
    I'm surprised that there is so much negativity around the game.

There are a few common themes I'm hearing (possible multiple times from that same person though) that I want to address

• stages look bad/ridiculous/unrealistic/distracting etc.
    yeah the asthetic sense is kind of retarded, and no idea what the whole idea with all the dinosaurs pervading everything is, but at the end of the day, they're just stages which will (like SF4) go largely unnoticed when it comes down to playing the actual game.
    • online sucks, it's laggy, no sound etc.
    I have to agree with this point, online is barely passable in a slow game like sf4, but when the speed is a bit faster, (and sounds on specials etc. don't play) it's pretty much garbage. I tried a few ranked matches and promptly decided online was unplayable. I'll stick to offline thanks. I feel for you if offline's not an option :(
    • there's too much to learn / game is too hard to learn
    for me, learning the game is one of the most fun aspects of playing the game; it shouldn't be a chore. Besides you don't need to have absolute game knowledge in order to have fun playing. Sure you'll need to train a lot if you want to be competitive

since quite a few people are comparing it to SF4, thought I'd point out a few things I like about this game in how it's *different* to SF4
  • characters don't have an abundance of get-out-jail-free cards, thus knockdowns are actually rewarded (moreso)
  • it's not a case of having to learn wakeup OS's (at least not the same way that sf4 was)
  • you can free-style in this game more than SF4, plus 2 characters adds way more variety
  • anti-airs are much more sane, i.e. can't DP your way out of everything / very few characters get *true* dp's
  • game is faster
  • much deeper game than sf4 - characters have much more variety in moves, mixups etc. (some might consider this a negative I suppose, boo to them :))
  • it's not a kusoge like mvc3 is

as for running down the clock, i'm pretty sure this was a viable strategy in MVC3 initially; how often do you see people running it out now?  ::)

Offline allyoucaneat

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 03:33:14 AM »
So far so good. I like making up combos and actually learning legit combos : D the BGM isn't too bad. I don't get the whole "shoto whiff dp but assist save me to continue into block string with opponent not being able to punish". Don't really know how to get around it but neh I've only been playing for a few hours and mostly trials + mucking around against my cousin so maybe I'll find something out sooner or later. There are a lot of new match ups to learn which is AWESOME along with new characters to learn! Happy about that n_n I would like to get into this game a bit more if I had mastered the fundamentals of SF4 or even ST because yeah it's cool learning new matchups and combos and characters n all that but what good is learning this stuff if your footsies aren't good or you don't AA at all? Bleh. Ways, I'll stick to the SF4 but play this for something different. Really fun game that looks cool n_n 2 v 2 looks like a lot of fun.
"I feel that it's the act of quietly accepting defeat without making excuses" Daigo after being asked what's the most difficult thing in fgs ^^

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
Man I've played too much of this game and it's already starting to get a bit boring for me. It's starting to feel you don't even need much skill to play this game in a decent way. I've been playing Kazuya/Jin for most of the time, got a lot of wins with them too. Decided to mix things up in the last day or two, trying to learn dhalsim and kuma, but was pretty unsuccessful. Then last night, I decide to troll around ranked matches with Rolento and Gief (mind you, it was the first time I'd played either of them) and got a few wins.

To me, it's starting to feel like you just need to know the characters normals and ranges, then wait and mash out magic series at the right time for easy damage. I dunno, my points probably aren't as valid as others, but I just hadn't been so bored playing a game since SFIV when I was playing last night -_- Starting to feel like I'm playing the game just because there's competition again. Let's hope I don't feel the urge to play tonight, because I know I'll get bored when I boot it up.
Saikyo!!!

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
A bit of a summary...

As far as gameplay goes:

Keits is saying gems don't matter at all, doesn't see a point in equipping any types of gems even when playing online.
U.David says assist gems are broken when used with meter build gems. He thinks the effects of boost gems are not that significant, aside from meter build gems which are good.
Skisonic says meter build gems change the game in a significant way.
Brandon agrees with U.David that assist gems are broken and should be banned. Boost gems are not significant enough to be banned, wants to try them out in tournaments.

For tournament organisation:

Brandon says he's used to setting up a million options in Smash Bros, and can run events on schedule, and also runs Capcom games on schedule. He wants to ban assist gems only.
Skisonic says maybe some tournaments should give gems a shot to see what happens (including all types of gems).
U.David expects tournaments to ban gems.
Keits says gems aren't practical, wants them banned in tournaments.

Gems as they are now are not broken, IMO. Looking at some of the DLC gems, though, broken as hell, no question. But I think if you're not going to play this game with gems, you may as well just go play a different game that doesn't have gems. Gems are central to the game's design, IMO. And thanks for the summary :).

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
I'm getting sick of online, versing characters with high low mixups is killer with lag...
I wish syd still had casual meetups... i don't have anyone to play with offline.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
I'm getting sick of online, versing characters with high low mixups is killer with lag...
I wish syd still had casual meetups... i don't have anyone to play with offline.
Is there another YSB coming up anytime soon at least?

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
Is there another YSB coming up anytime soon at least?

Not sure, havn't heard of anything yet.

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
In April 14th
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

GirlsDigMyScore

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
This is nothing to do with SxT but more about the games in general. How about some FREE FUCKING DLC? Why do I have to pay for all the custumes? This pisses me off. The game companies should work a deal with Xbox (xbox membership cost increase slightly, xbox pays game company x amount depending on how much their game gets played online - or is keeping players renewing membership, or whatever)

I really doubt that the costumes come out after the fucking release date, they will have everything sitting there packaged and pretty just waiting and drip feed you content that you have to pay for which could have easily been on the fucking disk, I mean people are spewing out nearly $100 for these and shouldn't be getting any less than 100% of the game. So either GAMES SHOULD BE CHEAPER or ADDITIONAL CONTENT SHOULD BE FREE. This RRP is $60 US and I went to GAME to buy this and they tried to charge me $98 or something stupid, I walked 10 meters to JB and got it for $78, still at least $18 more than Americans. Why do we have to pay more than anyone else? If you have a US steam account on PC you get games cheaper than if you have an Australian account. Why the fuck do we constantly get shafted when purchasing games?

findlay_stuart

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
We get shafted in general in Australia, I don't think it's just specific to games.

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
This is nothing to do with SxT but more about the games in general. How about some FREE FUCKING DLC? Why do I have to pay for all the custumes? This pisses me off. The game companies should work a deal with Xbox (xbox membership cost increase slightly, xbox pays game company x amount depending on how much their game gets played online - or is keeping players renewing membership, or whatever)

I really doubt that the costumes come out after the fucking release date, they will have everything sitting there packaged and pretty just waiting and drip feed you content that you have to pay for which could have easily been on the fucking disk, I mean people are spewing out nearly $100 for these and shouldn't be getting any less than 100% of the game. So either GAMES SHOULD BE CHEAPER or ADDITIONAL CONTENT SHOULD BE FREE. This RRP is $60 US and I went to GAME to buy this and they tried to charge me $98 or something stupid, I walked 10 meters to JB and got it for $78, still at least $18 more than Americans. Why do we have to pay more than anyone else? If you have a US steam account on PC you get games cheaper than if you have an Australian account. Why the fuck do we constantly get shafted when purchasing games?

That pricing made sense like 10 or so years ago when the Australian dollar actually was about half of a US dollar. Nowadays though, it really doesnt.
The Walking Meme. Fruit Ninja Enthusiast. Can block Magneto. Can't block Vega.
Arguably: The Blog