Author Topic: Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown  (Read 23349 times)

Offline Toto

Re: Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »
Thanks for that Chill; I was incorrect re: fuzzy guard.

I really love this game but I feel I've hit a wall in terms of improvement.

Playing around with Taka, I now realise why people classify him an advanced character. I believe that his toolset is limited yet very high damage.
A key aspect of many characters, fuzzy guard, is also stuffed with Taka: he can only fuzzy guard up to -4 because his crouch dash is 6 frames.
Playing Taka requires solid fundamentals and a real understanding of the opponent's play style. My fundamentals are quite poor so I'm having trouble with the character.

I'm also experimenting with Pai. Pai's strength is in closing distance and constant poking pressure and I believe this could work for me, although her overall damage output is not high.
Her stances are also interesting and varied while not being too intense.
Her in and out style is causing me problems because I like to get in that ass and stay in there!!

This post wouldn't be complete without an interesting link and here it is:

Here you are

If your opponent tech rolls, there is a time (iirc a 5 frame window) where you can hit them and they can't do anything (meaning the only possible scenarios are guard or eat a hit). Every character in the game is covered in that video.

MadeMan you sneaky little fucker you've been doing this to me with Goh!!!

In general playing new characters is quite frustrating as I often believe I could have punished using my main. But it's forcing me to learn different aspects of the game which can only be beneficial in the long run.

Melbourne watch out; we're out to prove you're a one man state!!!

Offline kientan

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
DAT TECHNOLOGY.

Liking the passion. Yeah Mademan is killing me with this.

Also the Goh setup is what Megadeath used at EB Expo, I really wanted to see him use Goh at OHN this year. Shame he opted for his main.

Very interesting about Taka, didn't realise his limitations.

Also with the side roll tech I guess its better to just stay on the ground if you feel their going to do it, better to take a down attack their a full combo/counter hit situation.
DON'T A PRO. BECAUSE BEING ONE IS TOO HARD.

Offline Chill

Offline kientan

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
Final Showdown is now on sale for 400 MS Points, go grab it!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-AU/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5-Final-Showdown/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111fe?DownloadType=Game#LiveZone

SO GOOD I'D BUY IT THREE TIMES!!!!!!

BUYBUBUYUYUBUUYUYUBUUYUYUYUUYUYUYUYUYUYU

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
Finally picked this up yesterday! Bestow all of your knowledge upon me, oh wise ones!
Saikyo!!!

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
Virtua Fighter 5: Comprehensive Beginner's Guide

2P.

*-The End.-*

EDIT: In all seriousness, I would read up on the wiki at VFDC. Make sure you play it at meet-ups, I find that's the best way to learn, but also add a bunch of us online as we're always keen to play some matches and the netcode is glorious.

Have you got any ideas on characters you want to use?

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
So far, maybe Vanessa, Lei Fei, Wolf? Idk to be honest.
Saikyo!!!

Offline kientan

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
So far, maybe Vanessa, Lei Fei, Wolf? Idk to be honest.

Watch all the tutorials on the Sega youtube page. Including the character ones. Will help you get a idea of how to start with the game and character choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDiz4wuXTk

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Yeah I stumbled across one of them earlier and gave it a watch. I'll check the rest of them out. Thanks!
Saikyo!!!

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Cabjoy: From what I played with you last night, my first advice would be to be a little more careful picking your spots for attack. I think that will come naturally with play time and learning the advantage/disadvantage with moves. I noticed I could get you with quite a few counter-hits because you were too eager to attack  :)

I think if you keep up playing/learning your characters you'll naturally improve at this point.

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
Yeah I need to spend time to actually learn the move sets. I honestly don't know them at all at this point, so a lot of the time I was just kinda mashing and trying to predict what said direction and buttons would do haha.
In a massive KOF mode atm so when that calms down I'll spend some more time trying to learn some stuff :)
Saikyo!!!

Offline kientan

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
Piece advice. Play this game slower than you would play other fighters.

It may look fast in Japanese matches, but the less the press the easier it'll be to learn the game.

Also feel free to jump on irc to hit me up for matches or advice. I've got the bug for the game again. Learning a new character has changed my whole perception on the game.

Offline Alexk

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
Watched Lion's tutorial. Now I actually know what the hell to do lol. I'm sure he has heaps of options but this just narrows down everything, allowing my brain to not ooze out of my ears while I'm playing :D

Offline kientan

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »
Haha.

It'll be like that for a while. Even Justin Wong is on the learning curve. Theres a strong punishment game in this, so you'll be fine.

I can only suggest for the ethusiasts to watch LaAkira and Dandyj's extended tutorials and read the character forums on VFDC.

Theres actually more players on playing it now than before OHN. So good to be playing.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »
Agreed, it's great to see how many new and returning players are online now. Can't wait for the next YSB  ;D

It seems like a lot of people are trying out new characters too, which is really great. I think I need to get back to Wolf a bit more, the other day I dropped a combo with him that i can usually auto-pilot. Having said that, El Blaze is so much fun to play as, ditto Jeff. I'm not sure what I'll do with Goh though, he used to be my go-to sub.

How's Jean coming along Kientan?

And do you play online Alex? I think I've added you on Xbox but never see you online,