Author Topic: [SFxT] SFxT - Official EVO Tournament Rules  (Read 3911 times)

Re: SFxT - Official EVO Tournament Rules
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »
Ali I highly commend your decision.

Ostensibly I think SS should also allow gems, just to stick it to EVO.

Maybe if the gems were well thought out, but no, no gems at SS2k12.  :P

As for the game being a joke, sure it has it's issues right now, but a little bit of tweaking here and there and it can become a very solid title.
For example, Halo 2 was thought of as a joke at first, but with a few updates it helped make MLG what it is today.  :p:

MLG is a jo... nvm. eSports.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
It's funny because this really does save time, not just by halving the number of games but by making it more difficult for a large number of people to even enter in the first place. Those casual couch co-op online players aren't going to EVO lol.

2v2 in this game is really fun, but if I have some difficulty and really need to win, I play alone because in this game I find 1 head is better than 2...

SS was a better tournament than EVO last year, looks like it might be better this year too :).

I think this 2v2 thing is going to be unique to EVO. Other tournaments prefer to cater to the players, rather than uncompromisingly tell them what to do, and most players who want to play the game at a tourney would prefer to at least have the option of 1v1. I really don't see this becoming a standard at all.

I agree with Toxy though it's a kick in the nuts to the players willing to take the game as seriously as they did AE.

Offline Zeekin

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »
2v2 format is kind of retarded.. fg's are supposed to be mano a mano, to prove who is the biggest BAMF in town... 2v2 ruins that; now you have to co-ordinate with someone!? that'd be like getting 1 player to control the stick while the other does the buttons in SF4 (well ok maybe not quite THAT bad but you get what I mean).

still... kind of cool at the same time, just think of all the time you save doing 1/2 the amount of matches!  ::)

that said, 2v2 is definitely fun, but imo not appropriate for tourney play (unless it's done AS WELL AS 1v1's)

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
that said, 2v2 is definitely fun, but imo not appropriate for tourney play (unless it's done AS WELL AS 1v1's)

In the unlikely event this game ever picks up steam as a tourney game I'm sure that will happen.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
I think one way of looking at the 2v2 format is that it actually shines a unique light on SFxT among a LOT of the available titles.

2v2 hasn't been done before in the FGC and I recall CrossCounter talking at length about how 2v2 would be interesting competitively. Its certainly something different and I feel there is merit in that, though it does make training and practice difficult to wrangle at truly high levels. However this also ushers in another tournament variable (ironic given that SFxT already has so many contentious tournament issues surrounding it) that stands to potentially sap away at the room available for the traditional 1v1 element which a LOT of people are still clamoring for, even if the 2v2 thing interests them. Fighting games are traditionally about you VS the other guy and nothing else. 2v2 certainly challenges that tradition. I spoke to Toxy about this today and I raised the point that 2v2 in SFxT tournaments runs the risk of ushering in a fuck-around or 'exhibition' tone to things. As others have also said, this kinda pisses in the face of those who genuinely like the game and want to take it seriously competitively. And by that they mean 1v1.

The questions floating around now re: 2v2's merits within the FGC reminds old farts like me when Team DM begun to emerge seriously among competitive FPS in the nineties (which subsequently spawned things like CounterStrike, COD, Halo, TF2, etc. At first team play was a very forced and hacky fuck-around, but it quickly adopted its own unique style and became massive and became considered equal next to duel. FPS and fighters are obviously different games, however both are (were?) traditionally rooted firmly on you vs the other guy and kicking his ass over a set period of time. No rules, just get the job done. But the FPS community evolved to factor in team play seriously. Do team games have a place among the FGC? Does it change things too much? Why? Can team games and solo games co-exist? Is there an audience and playerbase to support it seriously?

SFxT remains a very new title and its simultaneous release worldwide means there's no established xcopying going on like with IV for example. A patch is obviously on the horizon and the tournament add-on stands to tweak things even further. If I was to have any real gripe, its that SFxT was perhaps released too early combined with EVO creeping up so fast. The game hasn't had a chance to be baked properly - both in development and testing by Capcom AND among players for a decent period of time in order to really latch onto the gameplay properly.

Hell, the Ultrachen show a few days back spoke at length about some mechanics and styles that are just plain inefficient (yet many players are gravitating towards them) suggesting a fundamental shift in how the game is played is already being considered among USAs stronger players. I feel this further adds to the argument that the game simply needs to simmer for longer before anything is nailed down in terms of standards and so on.

Right now from an organisational stand-point I'd expect a few things to be tried and experimented with. EVO is going for bo3, 2v2, no gems. SS3 is going for bo3 1v1, no gems. Some people relish the banning of gems, some folks are a bit snotty about it though gem bans seem to be universally accepted among organisers for obvious reasons. A large patch is on the horizon and there are lots of majors creeping up that are likely to give different settings and rules a shot. I wouldn't say anything is set in stone just yet in terms on an expected standard, though its interesting to consider that SFxT is the first release in a long time that has seen both organisers and players scratching their heads when asked the simple question: "So, an SFxT tournament. What are the rules?"

Also, I'm waffling. 'sup Spencer.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
2v2 in SFxT tournaments runs the risk of ushering in a fuck-around or 'exhibition' tone to things.

I don't think that would be the case for a full blown tourney, especially not if there's genuine cash money on the line lol.

I was thinking DotA is a team game, and those players take their game VERY seriously, and occasionally win more piles of money in tourneys than SF players could ever hope to, even after it's been divided between the winners.

It's not really new to fighting games, before MvC3 came out, American majors had full blown team tournaments for SSF4 because none of the other games generated any spectator interest. The new thing is that this time it's for genuine cash-money, instead of a new fight stick or coupons lol. But I'm predicting both AE and Marvel will have more entrants (although maybe MrWiz is predicting a massive number of entrants for SFxT and hence the 2v2 decision), thus bigger grandprizes and therefore more serious competitors. I know if I considered myself "pro" I'd go where the money was and focus on that. 

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
I like the idea of 2 v 2.

But I also don't plan to play sfxt competitively. I think it's worth at least one shot at a major.
Stop sandbagging.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 2v2 choice has more to do with time than what they really want to do. This game takes forever :/
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 02:22:44 AM »
Incoming Marvel 3v3 edition. DHC glitch coordination and TAC combo team works

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:54 AM »
Marvel vs Capcom: Dota Edition
Play Skullgirls

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
Snip

Pretty much what you said. 2v2 in SF x Teeken is like Doubles in Tennis. In a way it's much harder to play but people don't take is as seriously as singles. Personally I would like to see both at SS but I can understand not running both due to time restrictions.
Your problem is you don't have any rhythm!

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
Just because its a party game doesn't mean it has less competitive merit.  Those who want to take it seriously can still take it seriously, and those who don't can still enjoy the 'party' aspect of it.
Always cheap.