Author Topic: [SFxT] help in countering Hugo and Rolento  (Read 4422 times)

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: help in countering Hugo and Rolento
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
EWGF isn't that hard IMO, I find it harder to do in Tekken than SFxT. I can do it at least 90% of the time, not perfect yet but getting there.

Anyway, I just went into training mode and with Rolento recorded j.HK, st.LP, walk a frame, st.LP, walk a frame, st.LP. I succeeded in mist stepping through the 3rd standing jab 100% of attempts, so it's actually pretty easy. I couldn't get the EWGF every time but WGF also has full upper body invincibility, so the only draw back of doing that instead of EWGF is not being + frames after block, they both get beaten by lows. Of course the problem is if he does a low attack after the second jab, but that's just a matter of reading your opponent. If you notice he likes to go low after the second jab, don't EWGF or try to do it after the first jab (I found that a bit trickier, too much block stun).

Also yeah, Kaz's cr.LK is a great move but Rolento's st.LP has a ton of range and blockstun so a move with reversal properties is almost required to get out of it...

Offline kazell

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
EWGF isn't that hard IMO, I find it harder to do in Tekken than SFxT. I can do it at least 90% of the time, not perfect yet but getting there.

Anyway, I just went into training mode and with Rolento recorded j.HK, st.LP, walk a frame, st.LP, walk a frame, st.LP. I succeeded in mist stepping through the 3rd standing jab 100% of attempts, so it's actually pretty easy. I couldn't get the EWGF every time but WGF also has full upper body invincibility, so the only draw back of doing that instead of EWGF is not being + frames after block, they both get beaten by lows. Of course the problem is if he does a low attack after the second jab, but that's just a matter of reading your opponent. If you notice he likes to go low after the second jab, don't EWGF or try to do it after the first jab (I found that a bit trickier, too much block stun).

Also yeah, Kaz's cr.LK is a great move but Rolento's st.LP has a ton of range and blockstun so a move with reversal properties is almost required to get out of it...

Well you are probably right regarding WGF countering standing jab. The reason why i choose different options is probably easier for me or maybe OP.

Btw i would love to have a set with you, which console you play on?

Offline Zeekin

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »
backdash? granted some backdashes are hopeless, but it's a potential option for some

Offline Peter

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Hey all. Thanks for the advice.
Re. Hugo and jumping out of the c.mp to clap, I had tried this but the game seems to have slow start up on jump and like you said c.lk stuffs that.

Re. Rolento and jab pressure, there is also this annoying pogo stick hop to cross-up j.mk and other mix-Ups from the hop that I don't have the knowledge to deal with yet.

And when ever I try to pressure a Rolento player, I usually eat ex-patriot circle which stiffles my attack.
Canberra Fighting Game League Tournament Organiser.

Offline ffff

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

Well you are probably right regarding WGF countering standing jab. The reason why i choose different options is probably easier for me or maybe OP.

Btw i would love to have a set with you, which console you play on?

Both but I'm not playing online. We can have a set IRL if you're in SA or NSW (I travel back and forth for work). I don't want to play online because it gives me bad habits, plus the lag just makes it an unhappy experience.

Edit: Alternatively we can get some games in at SS next month if you're going. :) I won't be playing any other games there unless they'll have TTT2.

Offline Taasi23

• Forum regular
  • 2013 New Year's Resolution: Go to TWO tournaments.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
Oh, so THIS is why I started losing all those ranked matches about a month ago... ;D
Will fight for food/love/money/right to party! ;D

Offline Peter

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
Re: [SFxT] help in countering Hugo and Rolento
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »
Any update to this now there are dlc characters and 2013 update? I have not had any troubles with Hugo but Rolento is still a pain (although slightly less of one)
Canberra Fighting Game League Tournament Organiser.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
Rolento patriot circle is now -5 on the first rep, -6 on the second and -9 on the third. So any Rolento using that vs you on block can and should be punished for it. His health is also nerfed to 930, so it will take less to kill him. Just be patient vs Rolento. His goal is to piss you off so just slowly close the space and keep your anti air ready for pogo/air raid HP. It's a patience game with Rolento, if you have the life lead and are full screen away, just chill and make him come to you. It's lame, but it works.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
Rolentos jumping mk also got nerfed. Alot harder for him to cross you up now. eg you used to be able to knock someone down and then pogo right next to them and bounce behind and cross up but now it just misses.

Also.... rolentos damage is piss weak lol