Author Topic: Any tips to help lag stop lag on XBL?  (Read 1722 times)

GirlsDigMyScore

Any tips to help lag stop lag on XBL?
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Connection seems ok on PC and PS3... Lag on XBL is just rotten. I think it has to do with modem settings so if anyone knows please fill me in so I can try to fix it.

findlay_stuart

Re: Any tips to help lag stop lag on XBL?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
Strange, X-box should be noticeably better than PS3 (It is for me).

Are you using the same cable or are there any different distances involved?? You can try running set up again on X-box in case you've accidently ticked something but that's unlikely, that fixed aproblem for me but it was nothing lag related.

You can forward your ports - all information can be found here.. http://portforward.com/ and as a last resort I guess you can go DMZ which is not recommended by most folk although again I've never had any hassle.

You could also try lowering the MTU number in your modem from the (usually) standard 1492 down to 1412 or 1452 ( I think it has to be an even number, look up MTU lowering on You Tube).

To be honest I've tried most of these with limited success. Sometimes it just comes down to who you play. I know before hand if I'm going to get a good connection an average connection or a terribad connection (ALLYOUCAN EAT!!!).

I've been playing long enough to adjust to each scenario.

GirlsDigMyScore

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Must be something to do with the ports. The flat mate is a WoW addict and he reckons we've got the fastest connection money can buy. If I change anything with the modem (port forward or whatever) will it interfere with his PC gaming?

It's a wireless router but I hook the cable up for the Xbox. He also uses a cable from the router to laptop for PC gaming.

At best I got yellow bar but it's unplayable. At the last place I had an average internet service but got green bar most of the time and even when it was yellow it wasn't really too bad. Now it fluctuates from zero bar/red to yellow, even if it's green/yellow at match start it'll begin to lag like we got 1 bar after it starts. Other times I'll play someone for a game, then the next time, same host, it says I'm unable to join session.

Any other clues? I'll try the port forwarding but I'm a real noob when it comes to this kind of thing.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
sounds like your room-mate is sucking your bandwidth? wow uses a huge amount of bandwidth and makes anything else lag like crazy

forwarding ports probably wouldnt help, it can sometimes but ive found its only really needed if you want to improve your NAT type
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
Forward the required ports for Xbox Live to your Xbox.

Copypasta from another post I made on the same subject:

XBL Required ports:

TCP port 3074
UDP port 88
UDP port 3074

Which naturally need directed to and from the IP of your Xbox. Some reading here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977709
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937424

Doing this will be dependent upon your router model and so on, but generally speaking you need to make the aforementioned ports available for your console. If they are not available/opened, GFW and XBL tries to force traffic across port 80 and 443 (the default ports for insecure and secured HTTP/internet traffic), which while workable, prevents some functions from working properly - particularly matchmaking and some voice comms features. Another side effect is patchy network performance. The current Xbox dashboard has a network test feature which runs through the required data ports to confirm it can send/receive via them and will give you a nice little report at the end letting you know if ports availability is part of your problem.

Also ask your room mate to hold off playing WoW for a few moments to confirm he isn't actually hogging your connection. Confirm he's also not being a complete idjit and flogging fifteen concurrent torrents of the Oprah Winfrey Show too.

Another thing you can try which is a bit of a shotgun approach is to configure your router (if it supports it) to host your Xbox IP as a member of your DMZ. Basically this exposes it to the Internet in a wide-open state, which effectively does away with any required port forwarding. The catch is that this is generally an insecure practice but it might give you some hints as to what is causing your performance issues.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
I've set my Xbox as DMZ for years and haven't had a problem. I'm pretty sure that setting a console (Xbox especially) to DMZ is completely safe anyway since it's only on a closed network (Live) and so you can't really get Viruses or unwanted connections.

Thing is, you can only set one IP to DMZ I think, so you can't set both your Xbox and PS3 at the same time.

GirlsDigMyScore

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
WELL I  MUST BE RETARDED CUZ I CANT FIX THIS SHIT EVEN AFTER DOING THE PORT FORWARDING STUFF...

GirlsDigMyScore

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »
now it goes full green for a while then some times bottoms out at red, still cant really get a decent game...

findlay_stuart

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
Have you tried playing SF4 on your PS3 with the same conditions to isolate the problem??

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
What kind of switch are you wired to? Make sure you configure your ethernet ports on the switch and Xbox (where possible) to a fixed and compatible speed. For example, set both the Xbox and switch/router ethernet ports to 100Mbit rather than 'auto' or 1000mbit.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Meeks

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
What kind of switch are you wired to? Make sure you configure your ethernet ports on the switch and Xbox (where possible) to a fixed and compatible speed. For example, set both the Xbox and switch/router ethernet ports to 100Mbit rather than 'auto' or 1000mbit.

How do you change this on the xbox?