Author Topic: Best of 5 a new tourney standard for marvel events  (Read 2178 times)

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Best of 5 a new tourney standard for marvel events
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Hi,

I've been watching streams and seeing a lot of events lately using the best of 5 over best of 3.

Do you think we'll end up going to this?  How much impact on time for tourneys will it have?

I'm going to suggest it for our local canberra scene as Marvel is the fastest game of the set.
Always cheap.

Offline Loki

Re: Best of 5 a new tourney standard for marvel events
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
CW moved to this format last weekend and it worked well, it does take a little bit longer of course but since Marvel is a quick game it kind of just makes it take as long as AE for the most part.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:03 AM »
I would love best of 5 to be standard, but America has a standard 3 day tournament now instead of Australia's 2. If AE, Marvel and SFXT all get run at OHN/SS over 2 days and Marvel is bo5 I can see time being stretched (assuming SFXT is still going to be run as a major).

I can see Marvel bo5, AE and KOF13 fitting into a 2day time slot though.
Stop sandbagging.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »
Hmm, this is for each match or just finals? I am assuming for each.

Its a bit of a time sink. Granted Marvel tends to move quicker than say IV, but with bo5 you also have to factor in the potential for alternating wins/losses which can stretch a match out. We ran this once at YSB and it dragged Marvel out for a while which diluted the intensity of things somewhat. Bo3 keeps things short and sweet and dirty.

Still, if its an emerging standard we'll definitely give it a try in Sydney at some point. As Tom has mentioned, time is a huge factor for us and I really don't like seeing Australian majors forced to be rushed so much at the end of day two (three). This would potentially further add to that while we're still knocking around ideas to lessen that 'finals rush, thanks for coming' problem that we experienced this year.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
all matches for marvel was 3/5 even WF LF GF, no 4/7 cause thats too long
retired as best sent in aus
no more umvc3 time for sfxt

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
this why marvel should be 3/5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8rlkVuWCM
retired as best sent in aus
no more umvc3 time for sfxt

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
I'm going to suggest it for our local canberra scene as Marvel is the fastest game of the set.

Best of 5 is a brilliant idea, let's make it happen

Offline jarop

Best of 5 a new tourney standard for marvel events
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:23:20 AM »
It's a pretty shaky example, but if rayray and fanatiq played 2/3, rayray would have won. And it's pretty clear he wasn't the better player in that set, he lost the next 8
PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
It's a pretty shaky example, but if rayray and fanatiq played 2/3, rayray would have won. And it's pretty clear he wasn't the better player in that set, he lost the next 8

For me that is a great example.

Also Daigo once said that the strongest or best player doesn't always win a Tourney, and I completely agree, but I guess Daigo can't complain too much (IMO greatest of all time) And I guess it all depends on how you perform in that moment, a little luck always plays a factor, draws and matchups.

And in big matches, like finals, semi finals, I think it's not a bad idea to have a long set. Best of 5, or first to 7... something like that.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »
effective playstyles and viability of characters and some strategies differ between short and long sets

different skills are emphasized in a longer set
similar to comparing short stack strategies with deep stack in heads up hold-em.

FWIW, consistently winning the first 2 games, regardless of any result that follows (losing 8 straight like rayray etc), is a skill in itself IMO.

it comes down to what people want to define as being the "better player".

at what point are you just beating the other player based on their habits (ie you can pretty much take the game medium out of the equation) as opposed to beating their character/team etc.

i think bo5 is as close to a decent compromise as you can get, tournament timing constraints notwithstanding.
CEO of ABM. Bringin the HATE since 08 son
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1660/img0546vx.jpg

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:34 PM »

Like fanatiq would've played the same way if it was a best of 3 set, if you have games to give you might as well take advantage of them....
SSFIV & SFxTK - Cammy/Ken
UMvC3 -Storm/SentinelMorrigan

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »
Evo to be best of 5 now?
Always cheap.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
Evo to be best of 5 now?

Kinda. Pools remain best of 3 so far as I understand it, with top 32 (?) being best of 5.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline BeefyGoodness

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
Looking forward to the EVO Marvel even more now!
Always cheap.