Linked Events

• CouchWarriors presents EVO2012 Stream Party @ ACL: July 07, 2012 - July 08, 2012
  • Signed up (2/50):
    # Status Name
    1.Unconfirmedmutton
    2.UnconfirmedLoki

Please login or register to sign up for this event.

Author Topic: [Melb] CouchWarriors presents EVO2012 Stream Party @ ACL  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Loki

[Melb] CouchWarriors presents EVO2012 Stream Party @ ACL
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »

That's right ladies and gentlemen, get in the fighting spirit and watch the biggest fighting game event of the year with all of your friends in the Melbourne Fighting Game Community!

CouchWarriors has partnered with ACL Melbourne to provide a fantastic weekend of Evo, casuals, fun tournaments and silly games. Bring yourself and your friends and set yourself up in front of the big projector screen to see all the action go down while playing, practicing and supporting your Australian troops going over to try for the crown!

If you're into Smash Brothers there is a huge tournament brewing with interstate guests making the trip for an all out brawl. Please see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323335 for full details

PRIZES:
That's not all though, we'll have prizes to give away throughout the weekend courtesy of our sponsors.
We'll be giving away a Qanba Q4RAF Arcade Joystick courtesy of http://www.gaminggear.com.au/ and Gaming Gear will even have a table on site selling sticks, buttons and more!
We'll also have a heap of vouchers and DVDs courtesy of Madman Entertainment to keep you thoroughly entertained, and even more to be announced in the coming weeks.

Venue:
Moonee Valley Racecourse
Celebrity Room
McPherson Street, Moonee Ponds
VIC, 3039

Entry:
$20 per day or $30 for the whole weekend
This fee includes entry to any tournament you wish to be in (except for the Smash tournaments).

Compete and have fun:
We'll be taking a bit of a different approach to tournaments for the weekend. As everyone will be glued on the action throughout the day on the big screen we'll be running alternative rules to normal tournaments. We're toying with the idea of less "serious" and more fun tournaments such as teams, random, low tier and many others, but we'd love your suggestions. Got a format you think would be fun? Please suggest it.
The current plan is to run Armies on Sunday for each game. This involves splitting all the competitors into two teams and having them play off against each other while their team cheers them on until only one is left standing.

We look forward to see you there!  :p:

Offline Shmick

Re: [Melb] CouchWarriors presents EVO2012 Stream Party @ ACL
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
Hey i was interested in driving/flying down to Melb for this but just wondering why there has been no posts in the last few days?

Is this still going ahead? I hope so because it's kinda boring sitting at home watching EVO dealing with stream chat :( 30k people calling each other ♥♥♥♥♥♥s gets on your nerves after a little while :P
Cai Zhen: will you switch to another game or another character?You mained Honda for 18 years already, no, almost 20 years.
KUSUMONDO: Sometimes I see some people pick sagat in vanilla Street Fighter 4, and in AE they will switch to Yun. When I think of that,I think I won.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
It's still going on, the Melbourne scene's just a bit quiet these days. There will still be a solid group of us there though.
This game glorifies violence. I love it for this reason.

Offline Shmick

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
Sweet :)

Just out of curiosity .. will the stream be on for the duration of the event or will it be stopped for SSB finals or something like that? Sorry for the Q & A lol but was just wondering if i should be getting broadband for my room or look into some rip off wireless prepaid thing for my laptop.
Cai Zhen: will you switch to another game or another character?You mained Honda for 18 years already, no, almost 20 years.
KUSUMONDO: Sometimes I see some people pick sagat in vanilla Street Fighter 4, and in AE they will switch to Yun. When I think of that,I think I won.

Offline Loki

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
We'll have the stream on the projector for the entire time it's on. The Evo stream however will be on through the wee hours of the morning before the ACL event opens up though, so it depends how dedicated you are to being up and watching before 10am in the morning. XD

Anyway, as for this thread, don't worry, it's mostly posted to cover bases, most of the Melbourne Community uses Facebook these days: https://www.facebook.com/events/120378371435067/

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
Hey everyone!

Remember this is on this weekend! Local boys Somniac and Antman are already in the USA training hard for Evo so make sure you turn up and cheer them on with us!

We still need suggestions for the formats of our tournaments since we'll be using the weekend to run less standard tournament formats. If you'd like to see teams or low teir comps, or something more obscure please let us know so we can try it.

More details will come after our meeting tomorrow night so stay tuned!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
Since its 2 days, how about marvel teams? or themes?
Why Not Throw Random Specials?

Offline Loki

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
Since its 2 days, how about marvel teams? or themes?

Hey Joey,
Thanks for the suggestions, we'll be discussing it at the meeting tomorrow night and announcing the format afterwards. If anyone else wants to suggest anything please do. :)

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
No Salt Tolerance theme.

If you lose, you have the right to punch the winner in the face and it is legal.

Offline Loki

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Update!

CouchWarriors has a great team up with ACLpro.com.au this weekend – we’re hosting an event in partnership with their Melbourne qualifier, with a bunch of for-fun tournaments and an EVO stream viewing party, so the whole community can come together to watch the EVO stream.

Facebook Invite:
https://www.facebook.com/events/120378371435067/

Full ACL event info:
http://www.aclpro.com.au/forums/topic/18142-acl-melbourne-final-details/

That's not all though, we'll have prizes to give away throughout the weekend courtesy of our sponsors.
We'll be giving away a Qanba Q4RAF Arcade Joystick courtesy of http://www.gaminggear.com.au/ and Gaming Gear will even have a table on site selling sticks, buttons and more!
We'll also have a heap of vouchers and DVDs courtesy of Madman Entertainment to keep you thoroughly entertained.

Cost of entry for the fighters component:
$20 for one day or $30 for both days - but includes entry to all tournaments and arcade stick prize draw!

Fun fighting formats for this weekend:
-AE 2on2
-MVC Copycats (A random team played by a top EVO player each round)
-SC5 Random Customs
-VF5FS teams
-Skullgirls singles (one character only)
-KOF Round Robin
-Wheel of Fighter (tournament in which we have a prize wheel which will determine what game is played next!)
-Armies for every game on Sunday!

plus cool retro fighters and the EVO stream!

FIGHTING DOCO SCREENING:
We'll have the first screening of Corey Hague's documentary on the scene: "Here Comes a New Challenger"
http://newchallengerfilm.wordpress.com/

The SMASH Bros community will also be hosting their own event with interstate guests, making for a huge weekend

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in Melbourne atm on a mini trip and i'm gonna come to the event on the sunday. Problem is, i haven't been to much community stuff, let alone in melbourne, so i was wondering if there was anyone i could contact who'd be willing to maybe take me under their wing and introduce me to some people and what not. Hoping not to turn up all alone and such :)
Saikyo!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Cabjoy I'll be heading to the event from the city around 8AM, you're welcome to come with me if you wish. I'll be taking the train from Flinder's street station. Do you want my phone number via PM?
My "chronicles of a scrub": http://beingascrub.com/

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
Hey mutton, I'm no sure what time I'll get there, but I was thinking of just getting a tram or train there. I'll figure that out sometime today or tomoz. I'll pm you my number anyway, since i'm in need of someone who can show me around the Melb fgc :) thanks for the reply!
Saikyo!!!

Offline Loki

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Here is the schedule for the weekend. The Evo stream will be mostly covering AE on Saturday and UMVC3 on Sunday from what we understand of the schedule, and there will be a little bit of SC5 and KOF coming in and out during the day. Once the Evo Stream finishes we'll be tuning in to any salty stream action until everyone in the US falls asleep (should last us until closing most likely).

Here are the tournaments:
SATURDAY
- SSFIV:AE:2012 2on2 - 12pm-3pm
- SC5 Random Customs - 1pm-3pm
- VF5FS Teams - 3pm-5pm
- KOFXIII Round Robin - 3pm-5pm
- UMVC3 Evo Heroes (Randomly select a team played by a top EVO player each round) - 4pm-7pm
- Skullgirls singles (One character only) - 5pm-7pm
- Wheel of Fighter (tournament in which we have a prize wheel which will determine what game is played next!) 8pm-10pm

SUNDAY
- SSFIV:AE:2012 Armies - 12pm-2pm
- SC5 Armies - 1pm-3pm
- VF5FS Armies - 2pm-4pm
- KOFXIII Armies - 3pm-5pm
- UMVC3 Armies - 4pm-6pm
- Skullgirls Armies - 5pm-7pm

See you all tomorrow morning!
- Loki

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to personally thank mutton, jlynx, pyro, Loki and anyone else who I got the chance to speak/play with today. I had a lot of fun, and you guys made it easy for me, being so welcoming and what not. A bit ironic that I got to meet the melbourne crew before most of the sydney guys but whatevs. It's motivation for me to get to more of the offline meetups. Thanks again! :)
Saikyo!!!