Author Topic: Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Gamogo

Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »
+1
I just wrapped up watching this over a morning coffee:

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Technology/Ecstasy-of-Order-The-Tetris-Masters-4290703.html

Its a documentary about a group of dedicated old school Tetris players (and their community) who after years of having no formal tournament, decide to hold one.

I'm by no means a Tetris player nor huge 'fan' per se, though I found the parallels to fighting game players and in particular the offline tournament playing community with these folks actually quite striking. Its for this reason that I kept watching all 1.5 hours of their story.

This is a very interesting watch for those of you interested in competitive video games and people's drive to be the best at their chosen addiction title. In the 1.5 hours you get to know a group of varying personalities from all walks of life jockeying to become champion at a game that while perhaps very niche competitively, is known, played and enjoyed by a large amount of people.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline Goodpart

Re: Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
I liked this a lot. Definitely worth a watch!
fe ilnog~

chris

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
Wow, loved the documentary.

Loved how it panned out as well. The myth, the buildup, the disappointment and then the redemption.

Interesting to watch, and interesting to note the difference between nes version and the today's versions.

Surprise NES is considered the definitive version. all the current ones have a built in leniency which allows you to change orientation milliseconds after it lands. also current versions give you the ability to see up to 4 more blocks where as the nes version in the documentary only allows you to see the next line.

new versions of multiplayer sends opponents garbage lines in tetris just like nes version but also 2/3/t-spins, which adds to the multiplayer strategy.

also keyboard controls would be far more efficient that nes controls, you need to move your thumb over the dpad, left/right/down, whereas on keyboard, you have a finger on each. no movement required of the fingers other than to tap.

but from what i see in the documentary NES is definitely more pure in gameplay so i can understand why it was used in the tournament.

now i have an itching to buy an nes.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
This was actually pretty hype.

Best video game documentary I've seen.
Stop sandbagging.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
wow that was excellent, cheers for the link gamogo.

I agree Tom, prolly the best one ive ever seen as well.
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

Offline ToXY

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
Good watch, for those of you who enjoyed it check out" The King of Kong" and "Chasing Ghosts" if you haven't already seen them.

Meeks

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
Good watch, for those of you who enjoyed it check out" The King of Kong" and "Chasing Ghosts" if you haven't already seen them.

I was thinking of that title as perhaps one of the better video game documentaries I've come across. Still, great watch. Thanks for the link Gam.

Offline Kisou

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
Being a casual fan of Tetris myself, it was a great watch.

Sure enough, out of curiosity, I fired up NES Tetris (through an emulator) after the credits started rolling and the game was indeed, no joke at the higher levels (I got destroyed at just level 9 -_-)! Obviously, there was no block "holding" found in modern day Tetris games and lock-down was pretty much instantaneous, leaving virtually no room for error. Absolutely brutal.
Team Low-Tier! Powered by Random.
鬼葬

Offline Jack

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
I just hate these region restriction shit... I can NOT watch this video in Asia!
I love Tetris!!!!
The better you are in Street Fighter... The shitter you are in Studying...

Offline Silhouette

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:50 PM »
For a guy whose family suffered financially and health-wise and seemingly given up on Tetris all together, that was admirable patience and dedication on Thor's part, for coming back to max out the score + reaching level 30. Great documentary.

Also, Tetris DS is hilarious. As long as you keep pressing a rotate button, your block will continuously rotate even though it's touching another!

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
I just wrapped up watching this over a morning coffee:

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Technology/Ecstasy-of-Order-The-Tetris-Masters-4290703.html

Brilliant, very good, thanks for the lnk (I will buy this one as well).

I was thinking of that title as perhaps one of the better video game documentaries I've come across. Still, great watch. Thanks for the link Gam.

Kong, it's the best Doco I've seen, Billy Mitchell could and well be the greatest player of all time, or at least the OG grand daddy of them all :)

Offline Cabjoy

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »
Went to write a report, saw this post.

2 hours later I'm only just starting my report =_= Damn was that good! I wish my brain was solid enough to comprehend half of the stuff that they're doing, it's just amazing!
Saikyo!!!

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
Goodpart posted this on IRC earlier.

http://www.firstpersontetris.com

Fuck Existential Crisis >:( >:(
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

Offline kc

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Great find, I've wanted to see this for ages.

Shameless plug - while you're there, check this doco out - http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Documentary/Hoon-Capital-4262604.html

It's not quite video games (it's about hoon and car culture in Australia) but I worked on it, so it'd be great if a few people could click on it.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
Just finished watching Tetris doco, that was really enthralling.