Author Topic: Beta Linux client for Steam released  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Gamogo

Beta Linux client for Steam released
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

"Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of a limited access beta for its new Steam for Linux client.

The Steam for Linux Beta client supports the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2. Approximately two dozen additional Steam titles are now also available for play on Linux systems. Additionally, the Steam for Linux Beta client includes Big Picture, the mode of Steam designed for use with a TV and controller, also currently in beta."

Kick ass. I'm all over this mess. What's funny is that the closed beta testing application form only went up a week ago and now its actually available :D

Supported titles here.

Edit: I jumped the gun. The beta remains closed and is accessible only by those approved via the application process I mentioned above that went out a week or so ago. Bummer. I expect this to become available publicly soon though.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline Gamogo

Re: Beta Linux client for Steam released
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
I found a way to get this going without being beta approved.

wget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb

(Install the package. You may wish to use Alien to convert the .deb for a Yum driven distro. i.e. alien -r steam.deb then yum install steam.rpm)

Then run:

/usr/bin/steam steam://store

This will take you straight to the store panel, bypassing the beta validation. You can browse stuff and mess with your friends list, etc. So far, so good. The Linux client is a lot more responsive and snappier than Windows, that's for sure.

Offline Guillotine-Fist

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
Nice thanks

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »