Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Beginners Guide  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Alexk

The King of Fighters XIII Beginners Guide
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
Hi yall,

This will be a resource thread that will help new KOFXIII players become proficient at the game as quick as possible. After OHN there seemed like a lot of interest in the game and I wanted to try help the new comers with solid information as this seems to be a daunting game to pick up. The resources offered were cafeully selected and believed to be the most useful on the internet at the moment. It will contain resources on fundamentals, optimal combos, game mechanics as well as tips and tricks. If you find a tutorial/link to useful information that you think should go here then I will move it to the OP so that we aren't sifting through pages of scattered information. Also, if you find any typos, broken links or confusing information then please let me know.

Special thanks to Kyokugen, fkuspencer, Dark Chaotix and Colonov for their help.

Here we go!!

System basics:

Beginner's Guide to KOF
DandyJ’s tutorial on the RPS of the game, with tips and tricks that carry weight onto KOF13,

Shoryuken’s System 101
A quick textual overview of King of Fighters XIII’s mechanics; each title  link provides greater detail per game element

Shoryuken’s A Visual Guide to KOF
Visual demonstration of  common King of Fighter tactics and its explanations of controlling space. More useful information can be found in Shoryuken’s KOF13 wiki

Orochinagi’s KOF13 guide
Contains important information such as the game system (Damage scaling, guard crush, etc) and tutorials on the game.

Orochinagi’s KOF13: How to (really) win
Another series primer from Orochinagi, including a great rundown on everything from picking characters to mixups, although be aware - the information was intended for arcade version of KOFXIII such as roll HD cancelling which was eventually patched out in subsequent versions of arcade KOFXIII

http://iplaywinner.com/glossary/general-terms/auto-guard-guard-point.html
Some attacks have certain properties while attacking. This particular feature will become apparent when playing against characters such as Clark, EX Kyo and Maxima.

Throw invulnerability on wake-up
Throw invulnerability exists on normal wake-up in KOFXIII. In summary, the opponent cannot be thrown during blockstun but however has additional throw invulnerable frames after blockstun has finished as long the opponent does not hit a button. It also includes translated summary of an Arcadia article where it mentions throw invulnerability on wake up (11f). But, there is 0 when coming up from a quick rise. Then 6 frames of invulnerability after a hit reset.

http://www.kofxiiiframedata.com/
KOF XIII frame data courtesy of the guys from VIC - Steve 'PyroZeroX' Andreou and Shaun 'KnightKinetik' Johnson

KOF13 frame data
Frame data translated by the guys from SBR from the keykakko blog – currently excludes Maxima and Robert, unfortunately.

Life Regeneration Thresholds Between Rounds
In the King of Fighters series, when you defeat an opponent within a certain time frame, you will rewarded with a certain amount of life. The list below (click the spoiler) that displays the life regeneration amounts accordingly to amount of time left on the timer. This is very important to know because if you have low life, but have lots of meter, then it can help you decide whether you should spend the meter for the life regeneration or not.

Spoiler for tocuh me:
Time/seconds left on the clock:

60 - 42: +300 HP
41 - 30: +250HP
29 - 18: +150HP
>17: +100HP

Techniques:

Rule of 2 (or 3)
Created by Laban. This videos goes more into depth with hit-confirms. Check out the rest of Labans youtube page for break down of old KOF matches with pro players such as Dakou. Sure they're old but the same principles apply.

KOF: Alternate Guard
Alternate guard tutorial by Laban – a technique that can beat out command throws, as long blockstun has occured.

KOFXIII Tips & Tricks
More tutorials from DandyJ. I'm linking this exclusively because it contains information on things like running grabs, training mode tricks, why you might be getting a sC after you activate HD mode from a normal; all sorts of very important things. An absolute must!

Juicy Bits KOF XIII Tutorial Series: The Button Hold Trick
This is extremely important execution technique as it makes certain combos easier; as specials/supers inputs are repeated for a good amount of frames as long the corresponding button is held down. This is one of the reasons why KOFXIII is considered an entry game to the series and easier than its former titles.

=http://dreamcancel.com/2011/10/09/the-king-of-details-3-buffering-tricks-and-motion-shortcuts
The above Juicebox video explains the hold button trick for combos and reversals, however this page also explains shortcuts for moves so that they decrease in difficulty of execution. Be sure to check Dreamcancel’s “=http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1701.0

Shortcuts and Buffering Techniques Quick Reference for an easy-to-read reference. Here’s more information regarding to what works with the DP+P~P/K technique.

Combos and character specifics:

Unfortunately, finding optimal combos for this game can be difficult as you would have to watch match vids and find the odd video on a specific character on youtube and hope that its optimal. Its up to you to stay up to date but don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else on what we might think a good solution might be. If you find a gem of a video I will add it to the OP.

Tip when searching on youtube: type the name of character you want to find and keywords such as 'safe jump', 'cross up', 'combo', etc. Then search within the last month or year. Sure thats sort of an obvious way to search but just putting it out there anyway. If you're up-to-date, then just type 'kof xiii' and search within the last week. KoFXIII videos are coming out all the time so if you search every week, you will usually find something.

http://www.youtube.com/user/guttscl
Combos! What most of you will be looking for. This guy has heaps of great combos all on one page for lots of characters.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1908.msg57377#msg57377
Tier list from Teh Mastaroth
Not only does this thread contrain a tier list but it also bases their strengths on where they are positioned, tier list based on being able to aqcuire meter and their anchor tier list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0vM3LUlAcUI
All sorts of different ways to beat Clarks auto-guard throw.
I wasn't going to go into specifics with particular characters but I feel like Clark is a special case. No matter what the player level is, you have to respect this throw. Thanks to Dark Chaotix for the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08KjKQ-L1R4
Maxima's Guard Point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4zPQojQ14
Ryo's Parry move.

Uploaded by SNK Playmore and translated by Gatoray.

[/quote]

Offline Toto

Re: The King of Fighters XIII Beginners Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »
Thanks for this Alex: as somebody with sausage fingers, I don't think I have the execution required to play KOF but I appreciate that someone has taken the time to compile such a thorough resource.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
A lot of characters have amazingly easy hitconfirms and execution... don't write KOF off just based off execution.

e.g. EX Kyo, King, Kensou all mash crouch/stand light kick a lot and hitconfirm into specials.
The Walking Meme. Fruit Ninja Enthusiast. Can block Magneto. Can't block Vega.
Arguably: The Blog

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »
How has KOF's netcode been received?

For example MVC is largely unplayable whereas SFIV isn't bad at all. GGPO driven titles within a reasonable distance are also pretty snappy.

But KOF? How does it perform online?
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
just fyi, Kof is apparently $4.95 on xbla today
I perfected gamerbee........at marvel :D
Sword of the Word, Grand Marshall of the Army of God

AtomicX

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
I would add Juicebox stream as he does spontaneous KOF tutorials. As I write this he is streaming another tutorial.

http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel

Offline jarop

The King of Fighters XIII Beginners Guide
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »
How has KOF's netcode been received?
But KOF? How does it perform online?

It's bad. On rare occasions you'll get a playable connection with random friends (lol ranked good luck) but 9/10 times you're playing KOF XIII in PowerPoint online.
PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Also, there are no lobbies. ::)
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

Offline Cerillos

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »

It's bad. On rare occasions you'll get a playable connection with random friends (lol ranked good luck) but 9/10 times you're playing KOF XIII in PowerPoint online.

I disagree, my last games against Melvin, A1 and Jacob have been pretty good... even considering I'm using wireless connection.

Offline Alexk

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Gamogo, its the sheer awesomeness of this game driving the Australian KOF scene ;)

I can't play online though. I can't block any high low mix up. Though I have Exetel >:[

Offline Shmick

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
woah thanks for putting so much time into this post man :)
Cai Zhen: will you switch to another game or another character?You mained Honda for 18 years already, no, almost 20 years.
KUSUMONDO: Sometimes I see some people pick sagat in vanilla Street Fighter 4, and in AE they will switch to Yun. When I think of that,I think I won.

AtomicX

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Okay first time touching this game for a long while so looking at this game from the ground up again. I have some beginner questions.

I noticed when I hit Clark he can absorb my attack then SPD me? How does this work?

What are some beginner characters? Juicebox recommended king, Shen, Andy, Terry (iirc) because they aren't OP and will force you to learn fundamentals. Any others?

Offline Alexk

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
AtomicX,

Great question! I've linked the answer below because it explains it more eloquently than I will but I'll elaborate on auto-guard a bit. When Clark raises his hands, auto-guard is activated so that means he can't be thrown, command thrown or hit. Yeah thats sounding a little overpowered but I'll elaborate on why it isn't overpowered and why I think Clark's wake up game isn't all that.

It takes a while for it to sink in, but you just can't jump in on him and auto-pilot with lights of sC because you will lose to it his auto-guard throw. But! In the instance of safe jump - there is nothing he can do. If he raises his hands - hop and then punish punish. He can't do anything else because his B command throw is too fast and you will hit him out of it with the safe jump and if does his EX Gattling, then you will safe jump that too. Additionally, a safe jump will also bait a guard cancel blowback and you'll block when you land, but again if you mash lights as soon as you land, he will hit you with the guard cancel. You have to take it one hit at a time with Clark, which is sort of what is cool about him and keeps people in check in this game. Light attacks are really strong in KoFXIII because of hit-confirms and with most characters you can do it without repurcussion but in Clarks case he will blow you up for auto-piloting.

Try setting Clark to do a guard cancel blow back and safe jump it with, say, a jump CD with Kyo - either Kyo. This will loosen up your mind so that whenever you play against Clark, you will look for these things.

Other characters have auto-guard: Maxima and Kyo. But the trade off is that they don't have auto-guard around there ankles so they just can't spam the move on wake-up.

I'm gonna update the OP with this info but I thought I would also reply to it here.

By the way. King is pretty up there because of her strong fireball game and speed. So is Shen for his damage output but has to be placed last in your team to be truely effective.

Offline Kisou

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
AtomicX,

Great question! I've linked the answer below because it explains it more eloquently than I will but I'll elaborate on auto-guard a bit. When Clark raises his hands, auto-guard is activated so that means he can't be thrown, command thrown or hit. Yeah thats sounding a little overpowered but I'll elaborate on why it isn't overpowered and why I think Clark's wake up game isn't all that.

It takes a while for it to sink in, but you just can't jump in on him and auto-pilot with lights of sC because you will lose to it his auto-guard throw. But! In the instance of safe jump - there is nothing he can do. If he raises his hands - hop and then punish punish. He can't do anything else because his B command throw is too fast and you will hit him out of it with the safe jump and if does his EX Gattling, then you will safe jump that too. Additionally, a safe jump will also bait a guard cancel blowback and you'll block when you land, but again if you mash lights as soon as you land, he will hit you with the guard cancel. You have to take it one hit at a time with Clark, which is sort of what is cool about him and keeps people in check in this game. Light attacks are really strong in KoFXIII because of hit-confirms and with most characters you can do it without repurcussion but in Clarks case he will blow you up for auto-piloting.

Try setting Clark to do a guard cancel blow back and safe jump it with, say, a jump CD with Kyo - either Kyo. This will loosen up your mind so that whenever you play against Clark, you will look for these things.

Other characters have auto-guard: Maxima and Kyo. But the trade off is that they don't have auto-guard around there ankles so they just can't spam the move on wake-up.

I'm gonna update the OP with this info but I thought I would also reply to it here.

By the way. King is pretty up there because of her strong fireball game and speed. So is Shen for his damage output but has to be placed last in your team to be truely effective.

Dat Alexk passing on dem KOF Jesus wisdom! This was a helpful tidbit.
Team Low-Tier! Powered by Random.
鬼葬

Offline Alexk

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
TYYYY!

AtomicX,

At 12:32, Terry does a safe jump and Yuri performs a guard cancel blowback. I think the safe jump should have worked but I think Terry pressured a button when he landed and got hit. In most safe jump instances its best to leave a tiny window to allow for this stuff.

Thought it was worth mentioning since it can get confusing sometimes when I think I've safe jumped and still got hit. Its because I had pressed a button.