Author Topic: Sydney City (Town Hall) Open Day - Sunday 23rd June  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Town Hall

• Forum user
    • View Profile
Sydney City (Town Hall) Open Day - Sunday 23rd June
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Just throwing an invitation out there for all you fighting enthusiasts.

Good Games Sydney (Town Hall), is opening its doors for everyone who would like to pop by and check out the new gaming set up. There are multiple games available on the X-Box 360's, including variations of Street Fighter, Tekken, and Injustice, amongst many others.

Feel free to bring your own X-Box games and/or consoles to use on the 50' LED LCD's. You can also bring your own controllers, or hire one of the 2 Madcatz arcade sticks for an extra $5.

A flat rate of $15 will give you all day access to the consoles from 12pm till 12am this Sunday the 23rd of June. Regular and scheduled tournaments will begin from July.

Any questions, please email sydneycbd@goodgames.com.au or call 9264 8185

Allen

Good Games Sydney - Town Hall
222 Clarence St
Sydney 2000

Offline Xr0s-up

Re: Sydney City (Town Hall) Open Day - Sunday 23rd June
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »
Oh yes!!
Didn't know GG would start something like this. Hopefully, this gets good results and it becomes a weekly thing
Dental plaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn

Offline Town Hall

• Forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
That's the plan.

Different games every weekend. Need a few test runs first, and feedback from the gaming community, before a weekly/bi-monthly schedule is cemented.

Offline saiyuk

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »
last I heard the TVs used are laggy - I wonder if this has been resolved.

Also a heads-up that the Tekken scene is very much a PS3 community. It is unlikely to garner success on a separate platform.
tbh - running the show (minus \'h\').

Offline Handbag

• New user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
I don't get the fanboy dedication to ps3, you're using a stick and the console whether its an xbox or a ps3 does not garner lag (not since the slims came out for both companies anyways), on top of that most sticks people buy are qraf4's and theyre compatible with both systems.

Me and youssef went and tested these 50" tv's and there is no input lag whatsoever which was surprising considering the size of the things. Who did you even hear this from?

Also I think this thread likely belongs in the casual events moreso than the tournament announcements but whatever :P

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
Me and youssef went and tested these 50" tv's and there is no input lag whatsoever which was surprising considering the size of the things. Who did you even hear this from?

Also I think this thread likely belongs in the casual events moreso than the tournament announcements but whatever :P

I was there a few weeks ago and I definitely thought there was some lag for KOFXIII. It's not nightmarish, but it's there. It's much less noticable in VF, probably because of the generous buffer times in that game, is it the same for Tekken maybe?

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
The lag is way more noticable in AE. KOFXIII and VF are playable but like what MadeManG74 said, there's some lag in KOFXIII.
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

Offline Madenka AU

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
I thought they were fine for AE. Didn't drop dem links.

Offline FaYd

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
Just to clarify something, yes me and Handbag tested the tvs for Tekken but unlike what Handbag said, they actually lag...terribly.

Couldn't get punishes consistently (at best once out of 5 times) and throw breaks didn't even register most of the times despite the fact that we were telling each other which break to input prior to grabbing.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
So, BYO monitors?

Offline kyokugen

• Event Organisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
Just to clarify something, yes me and Handbag tested the tvs for Tekken but unlike what Handbag said, they actually lag...terribly.
This.

So, BYO monitors?
Also, this.
ヽ(ー`)ノ

AtomicX

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
Good Games Feedback - This post is addressed to Good Games in regards to their setup.

I'm the short white guy with brown-ginger hair that visited today with Rob and a few weeks ago with Norman. I want to point out a few things with your console setup in order to make it viable for tournament play.

First I'll mention I think Good Games Town Hall is a very good location and the store is nice with plenty of space. I think having casuals or tournaments at Good Games is a great idea because there hasn't been a dedicated home to console setups since Good Games central. I think you guys are on the right track with your setups but you're not there yet to attract tournament players and the wider fighting game community.

As it stands now the setups might be good for casual players or people not-in-the-know as there is plenty of different fighting games to play but due to the current state of the setups if you ran tournaments in July I don't think anyone will participate.

The major problems that need to be fixed if you want to attract the fighting game community:

The TVs

While the big screen TVs might be impressive to look at they suffer from horrible input lag. Why is input lag a problem? Fighting games at a higher level of play require precision timing in combos and setups. Combos for example can take hours and hours to master and when you've mastered a combo you've remembered it in your muscle memory to a very strict timing. Input lag is a problem because the timing for the game is now off, so if a player has mastered a combo at home using their lagless monitor and then they try it at on a laggy monitor it becomes much harder to do the combo consistently or at all because the laggy monitor will have a completely different timing.

When I tested Street Fighter with Norman a few weeks ago I thought it was fine and playable but I'm not the best at testing input lag. Though I could tell it felt different. Today Rob (The guy who was with me and FYI one of Sydney's best Street Fighter players) tried the TVs out and he confirmed there is definite input lag. Youssef (above) and the majority of other players who have tested the monitors have also said they lag. These are also the same people I presume you want to attract to your store to participate in your tournaments so the issue can't be ignored.

Of course I'm sure everyone can understand it's not an easy issue to fix as you've just invested money into those big screens but what's the point if no one wants to use them? I recommend listening to the community for replacement screens.

The current lagless (as possible) monitor of choice is the BenQ GW2450 24" with the latest model on the market being the BenQ RL2450H 24". Though I can't confirm if this monitor has lag or not but I presume it doesn't as it has almost identical specs to the GW2450. You can get one of these monitors from JB HI FI for only $198 which I'm sure must be allot less then what you've paid for those giant screens. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/monitors/benq-rl2450h-24-led-gaming-monitor/680505

Software and patches

None of the xboxes (least the ones I've tried) had any patches installed. ALL fighting games must be patched to their latest versions if you expect people to pay money to play in tournaments. Super Street Fighter 4 HAS to be patched to Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012. This version is the tournament standard for Street Fighter.
Other fighting games like Injustice and Marvel and King of Fighters also need patches. Injustice has had a few patches come out recently that feature various changes to characters plus additional DLC characters such as Batgirl, Lobo and Scorpion. There is a slight balance patch for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and King of Fighters XIII needs the DLC characters plus bosses unlocked. This is important because players expect the latest version they play at home will be available for tournament play.

An example for patching the games. First you need a workable XBL account. The Good Game consoles do have profiles but currently they are not XBL enabled. When you have an account most games have a "XBL marketplace" option on the main menu, usually the patches can be found there, otherwise try to play online and the game might automatically update for you. To tell if the game is running the latest version will vary depending on the game but for Street Fighter if you go into training mode at the start of the match there should be a gold logo that says version 2012 underneath.

Pricing

This issue might just be my own personal preference but I think the current prices at Good Games is a bit steep. $15 for all day casual play might be "OK" (Though I think a bit too much) but $8 for only an hour I think is asking too much. For comparison at the Nerd Cave in central they have $8 for 6 hours (Of course they require BYO but they also have their own PCs and consoles you can use). My personal opinion, $8 to play fighting games for 1 hour is way too much. One hour can pass very quickly and you're not really getting any bang for your buck in that hour.

In conclusion please consider resolving the TV and patches issue before attempting to run any tournaments. Also please consult members of the community in regards to other issues such as pricing and game selection.

FYI the current fighters ran in tournaments are:
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Injustice
King of Fighters XIII
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »
I spoke in depth with GGs last night after dropping by to test the input lag.
I can confirm that there is a very obvious amount of lag.

I have suggested a few solutions to GGs, on how they can rectify this if the want this to become a serious thing.

I will update people mid-week in regards to how this is going.

Offline Genxa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
They asked me to drop by last night to test the TVs after using VGA cables.
After some testing with links, combos, trip guard, safe jumps etc, seems to me that there is no more input lag.