Author Topic: TV setup for a store  (Read 1873 times)

TV setup for a store
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
Howdy all

I have been asked by a friend to help locate some kit to help setup his Good Games store in the Sydney CBD. He wishes to add some Xbox's to one of his walls to allow play Street Fighter/Tekken/other competitive games.

I am trying to work out where in Sydney is a good place to source wired/wireless Arcade/tank stick controllers that are sturdy but will not brake the bank (purchasing 8 of them). The other question i have is to deal with having 4 xbox's next to each other is it preferred to have headphones or are most players fine with just having other games playing next to them?

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

Offline Madenka AU

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: TV setup for a store
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
Is this a request from Alan the store owner?

AtomicX

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
wired/wireless Arcade/tank stick controllers

If you're serious wired only sticks with sanwa parts I.E. Madcatz Tournament Edition sticks or the Qanba Q4 series is the current standard, no less will do.

(Example: https://www.gamesmen.com.au/catalog/cont-xb3-mcatz-tournament-arcade-stick-2-p-25382.html)

Fighting gamers are used to bringing their own sticks though so perhaps you can have an option of allowing BYO controller.

There's no current home for offline console sessions in Sydney city so I'm sure you'll get ALLOT of interest and support from local players. Particularly for games where online is rubbish (King of Fighters, Marvel 3).

Offline stekoh

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
mad catz TE, nothing less. cheap part replacement too

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
quiet a price for those mad catz, is there any cheaper sources for those around?

AtomicX - This is what the owner is hoping. having somewhere that he can get some open/competition based play happening.

AtomicX

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Also FYI make sure the monitors you use are lagless as possible. If you want to attract the series fighting game heads all the equipment has to be top notch. (Yes we are a very picky bunch!)

Luckley lower lag monitors are on the cheaper end of the scale. An example is the BenQ series, this is the current on the market BenQ:
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/monitors/benq-rl2450h-24-led-gaming-monitor/680505

A list of other monitors can be found at:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtvmonitor-input-lag-database

Yes sticks are on the more expensive side that's why tournaments typically request players to bring their own. A short term solution could be to have the store use standard controllers and allow players to bring their own stick. In the meantime try ebay? :)

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »

I am trying to work out where in Sydney is a good place to source wired/wireless Arcade/tank stick controllers

Tank you say?
http://www.hes.net/newsite/resultssearch.php?search=tank&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Bit pricey, but they might discount for a bulk purchase. They also sell a bunch of other sticks, Hori ones are only $98 for example.

Offline Madenka AU

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
The only other option is second hand. Here in Australia sticks still fetch a premium but you might be able to get a deal with another provider/person if you're doing bulk. I was selling 2 stick a few months back, I should have kept them had I know about this :P

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
Straight off my head, Qanba Q4s are cheaper than getting TEs unless there is a TE sale around that I'm not aware of.
I wonder if that ctn guy is still selling Qanba sticks (for $160-170) now or could possibly arrange something...
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
How many are you looking to buy? If it's a relatively bulk purchase I would approach HES and ask about a discount for X amount of sticks, they might be willing if it's worth their while.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
AtomicX - we are looking at 4x 50" panels that are 8ms (which i know from PC side is pretty decent for gaming) but i am unsure on how picky your players may be.

I think we may go controllers to start and charge a slightly higher entry/rental fee to borrow a arcade stick (considering there cost)

MadeManG74 - I have used one of those before and they were not bad...Are they used in competitive play much? We would go anywhere from 2-8 depending how much we can get them for.

Offline Madenka AU

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
option to byo stick? I should drop by GGs and have a chat I reckon, didn't know that they wanted to expand this way after Central ended the relationship.

Offline MadeManG74

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
MadeManG74 - I have used one of those before and they were not bad...Are they used in competitive play much? We would go anywhere from 2-8 depending how much we can get them for.
I haven't actually used one, but I've spoken to the guy from HES and they use Sanwa parts apparantly. HES is the distributor for MadCatz and Hori in Aus so they've got more well-known sticks as well as their 'Tank' ones though.

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
If you want to attract the "hardcore" players then I'd recommend the following:
  • Avoid LCD TVs. Go for LCD monitors proven to have low lag. Don't rely on refresh specs. Refer to community advice for brand selection.
  • Provide Madcatz TEs or rely on BYO. Nobody will touch anything else.
  • Headphones are a luxury given the audio is hard to hear in arcades anyway. If you buy monitors without speakers remember you'll have to add some. For the sake of other customers headphones might be a good idea but you have room to move here. Just make sure there's some way to hear the audio regardless.
Some of this stuff can be expensive so I'd recommend crunching the numbers first. Don't cut corners though. You won't achieve a return that assumes hardcore support using cheap/bad setups.

If you just want casual players/button mashers then ignore the above and do whatever you like. :)

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
Quote from: Ziggy
Provide Madcatz TEs or rely on BYO. Nobody will touch anything else.

I feel this is a tad extreme. I firmly believe a stick with Sanwa parts should be fine. I'm currently unaware of any TE stick sales but I've known for a while that Hori sticks have been going cheaper lately than TEs on Amazon.

The difference between the VX SA KAI and the VX SA is a nicer finish on the panel based from my experience. :)
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules