Author Topic: Improving the game community?  (Read 1061 times)

Improving the game community?
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new to OzHadou and thanks for letting me join this community. A little bit about myself. I work in the USA and I call myself a gamer. I'm really into fighting games, but I would probably call myself very casual and no where near professional level. My experience in the US is that for newcomers to get into the fighting game community, it's actually tough. Not the fact that the community is not accepting - but hard to actually find a community to meet and greet face to face or even online.

I am actually Aussie and I've just come back to visit. So now I'm trying to find out about the fighting game community in Australia - and same thing, took me a while to know about this site or any info on the gaming community here. 

So this got me thinking. Since I'm new to the community, I'm not exactly sure of the scene here. I have some ideas that I would like to implement to help maybe improve or expose the fighting game community more in Australia.

But before doing so, I would like to ask for the communities opinion?  For example, the community needs to grow bigger or things are good the way things are - or perhaps most of the people on the forums are young kids who squeak so don't bother etc. Just like to hear thoughts.

Sorry guys - I might seem like I'm dreaming big but I have a passion for fighting games and would like to see it grow just as big as the usa. But for people like me it just doesn't seem as accessible or exposed.

Also apologize in advance if this post is ridiculous.

Offline Madenka AU

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the game community?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »
Props for the post, firstly which city are you in? There are community organisers in the 3 big capitals, smaller but none the less growing community gatherings in the others.

IMO Melbourne has the largest and most successful fg community in recent years. In Sydney (my city) organisers are very good but attendees kind of suck when it comes to actual attendance. I don't know much about Brisbane but they have dedicated meet ups as well.

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »
As Madenka said, knowing whereabouts you are geographically will allow us to point you towards local organisers and get involved from there. Even if it's a national focus you have in mind the local events feed into regional majors, all of which enjoy national (or even international) support and exposure.

Also if you want to support/grow the scene you needn't be a hardcore tournament player. We always need more people to organise and promote the scene. All you need for that is some enthusiasm, passion and a willingness to put in some time and effort. :)

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. Sorry - left that bit of information out. I'm based in Sydney. Be good if you could direct me to the local scene here. Would like to meet fellow gamers and meet new people.

Most FGC people in the USA I run into are pretty nice people with the occasional odd one. I hear two sides of the story in Syd but hopefully it's all good.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
Be good if you could direct me to the local scene here. Would like to meet fellow gamers and meet new people.

http://forum.ozhadou.net/index.php?topic=8165.0

With meets and events in general listed in these areas:

Tournaments: http://forum.ozhadou.net/index.php?board=62.0
Casual Events: http://forum.ozhadou.net/index.php?board=63.0
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, where in USA do you currently reside or/and been at and what game do you play?
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
I've been working out in Hawaii. It was hard to find a scene there. Not very exposed. I might have to move to the south on my next gig and out of Hawaii, which means gotta look for another community down there. Once again, hard to find a FCG scene there just by researching on the web.

I mostly prefer to play 3d fighters. I play VF5FS and DOA5. By no means a pro player but not the worse either. Absolutely suck at 2d fighters but wanna learn how to play them like SFIV and Marvel.

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. Sorry - left that bit of information out. I'm based in Sydney.

Please check the links from Gamogo (I'm sure you already have by now) and you'll be good to go.

If you can make the next YSB that would be an ideal start. I recommend introducing yourself to the organisers and share any ideas you have about the scene with them. Sydney can always use more people willing to help run and promote events, both on the 2D and 3D fighter side of things.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Thanks all for the tips on getting into the scene here. Yep, I've taken a look at the other forum points.

I'm not too sure if I can make YSB as I have another event on that day. That I have to go to. However, it doesn't run all day so I might pop by afterwards and say hello.

I might be able to make GG Town Hall this friday, so hope to chill with some fellow gamers. Look forward to it.

Offline fkuspencer

• GOD OF EASTWOOD
  • SNAPUBAKURU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »
VF5FS is always around at YSB. Then in between its online play so its probably better to rock up if you can. :)
<Gamog0> Eastwood rules