Author Topic: EVO 2015 predictions  (Read 869 times)

Offline water_ling

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
EVO 2015 predictions
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
What's the top 8 going to be like?
Previous winners:
2009 Daigo Umehara RYU
2010 Daigo Umehara RYU
2011 Fuudo FEI LONG
2012 Infiltration GOUKI
2013 Xian GEN
2014 Luffy ROSE

Will a YUN or EVIL RYU player win it this time? Let's set Las Vegas odds on that.  :P

Re: EVO 2015 predictions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:14 AM »
Hope Pepeday wins with El Fuerte

Offline Zola

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:13:10 PM »
Hope Pepeday wins with El Fuerte

Would be a fitting end to the USF4 shambles.

I'd say Daigo would be favourite. It really depends the draw, Bonchan got to the final with a relatively easy draw until he came up against Luffy.

A few upsets in the early rounds throws the whole prediction thing out the window. I'm interested to see if Infiltration keeps going with the multiple characters.

Offline Kay

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »
Fuerte winning would pretty much sum up this game.

Offline Heavy Weapons

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 01:36:25 AM »
I thin Daigo or Tokido are my top 2 picks Momochi, sako and Mago also high chances. I think Pr rog is going to do well. Poongko Fuudo and Bonchan are the others im looking for. Dieminion too.
Oi Oi Moi. Best Crunch Heavy Punch in melbourne! fimblers and fimblettes get slapped silleh!

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
Do we have any details on who from Australia and NZ is attending?

From memory last year we had both Somniac and Shang, so I'm curious if they and others have made the pilgrimage again. I had a cursory look through the brackets last week and couldn't find anybody I recognised, though its possible I spelled names incorrectly or different handles had been registered.

Personally I'm curious to see how RB goes. I don't have him pegged to take it, but I expect he's going to be a new wrecking ball regardless. It will be interesting to see if EVO is as rife with upsets this year as it was last - I remember being pretty shocked at both Infiltration and Daigo being sent packing so soon into pools.

It will be interesting to see how Infiltration goes. He tends to have an almost casual-like approach in majors sometimes, suggesting he might be holding back some character preference(s) for EVO. Some stubborn character choices (particularly after losing the first match) hasn't exactly been uncommon for him which has impacted his tournament consistency lately in my opinion.

Tokido, Daigo, Mago, Bonchan, Xian, Momochi, PR Rog (of late), Smug, RB, Poongko and Infiltration have all been pretty menacing lately which I think will make anything after top 32 potentially very blurry. Then you have guys like Sako, Fuudo, Hart, Itabashi, Snake Eyes, Teddy, Nemo, Kazunoko, Pepeday, GamerBee, Dieminion, Luffy and more being in the mix who aren't exactly incapable of making a mess of things in the upper echelons of the brackets either.

Then you have your usual vault of bracket gate keepers who in many ways can block favoured player progress. Guys like Valle, Wong, Imstillthedaddy, Choi and Filipino Champ come to mind and also any capable players driving mix-up heavy characters who can quickly make a favoured player sweat once the pressure piles on.

I expect the top 32/16 to be a cast of players somewhat familiar and expected but who knows what upsets we're going to see. There's so many talented players arguably at the height of their game right now and with SFIV possibly nearing its EVO swansong you can expect they're all going to throw down as hard as possible.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline Ziggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ozhadou.net
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »

Offline maxsze90

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
Ultra Street Fighter 4 Top 8 Playoff
Spoiler for Hidden:
Winners bracket
EG|Momochi (Ken) vs. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
AiAi (Juri) vs. Infiltration (Evil Ryu, Elena, Chun-Li)

Losers bracket
EG|PR Balrog (Balrog) vs. BE|Nemo (Rolento)
AvM|GamerBee (Elena) vs. Liquid|NuckleDu (Decapre, Guile)

Comments
Spoiler for Hidden:
I'm cheering for Tokido/Infiltration. I always think that Akuma's health really messes with his consistency but Tokido is sitting up there time and time again.

Infiltration's decision to move away from Akuma is surprising, I would say he has a more methodical way of playing Akuma. He plays the game closest to a robot and he wins mostly by making people crack. Glad to see them both in Winners bracket.

Momochi is no surprise, he is a ridiculously good player (placing and skill), and if you put him, Tokido and Daigo as the representatives of the characters at their peak, Ken is pegged to be the best shoto by a small margin in terms of his flexibility to rushdown/chase and still has an acceptable keep away game in certain MUs. His block confirmable DP and the range of it raw and kara'd is also a thing.

Nemo's a great player, his Yang was real fun to watch and his reads/reactions are top notch. Rolento in his hands is ridiculous. On character select there are honestly 2 Rolentos for selecting. Nemo gets his own one, and everyone else picks a gimped version. That's just how it appears.

Glad to see PR Rog and Gamerbee, they are always great contenders. Nuckledu's placing is a little surprising, he's been doing alright, but I didn't see him as mentally strong as others and he does have a tendency to reversal. His Guile isn't particularly outstanding but that's Guile for you.

This looks fun!

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
Ai Ai has been running a train. We've seen a lot of lacking matchup experience against Juri being demonstrated which combined with his obvious skill has seen him kick serious ass. Ultra David noted on stream yesterday that Daigo was not looking forward to facing him which was telling of his reputation in Japan for sure.

Right now I think he's probably looking favourable though I'm certainly not counting Tokido or Momochi out. Top eight is going to be nuts.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

watery stool

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
Just caught up with the results via eventhubs and their comments section.

Lol at the ridiculous arguments they have on there.

Sounds like an awesome top 8. Too bad I missed it.

Offline water_ling

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
I picked
Spoiler for Hidden:
Momochi
to win but damn
Spoiler for Hidden:
Gamerbee just wouldn't give up
. Despite being down to the wire, I don't think anyone liked that tainted ending.

Offline maxsze90

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
I just had time to watch the Evo grand final

Spoiler for Hidden:
I cried, the feels

Offline water_ling

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Just realised that Momochi changed to Evil Ryu to win.

Capcom, please nerf.  :P