Author Topic: Fastest method to improve for a beginner?  (Read 1236 times)

Fastest method to improve for a beginner?
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
Notice there's no introduction forum here, so I thought I'll do it here as a background to what I'm asking. I'm a beginner in SFIV, as in started in the last month never really got into fighting games prior. I've seen SFII as a kid, played one or two casual rounds with a friend but never bothered to get into it till now.

I've been reading online as many would suggest on basic tutorials and have been working on basic execution in training room. My question though is, what is the best way for a beginner to improve? I feel there's a pretty large gap between beginner and an average player online, making the match very short and perhaps not able to have a chance to try many things. Not sure I will get the most productive use of my time playing online matches again and again. Or would playing arcade mode in hardest setting be more optimal? The only thing is I don't want to get into bad habits as the CPU probably will not play like a person would.

I came along to YSB on Saturday and it was pretty cool, makes me want to learn SFIV even more seeing the scene. Hope to get to know everyone here further down the road!

Offline Kay

Re: Fastest method to improve for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Keep going to YSB and other offline scenes and you'll grow faster than someone who does not, like me. :P

Offline cran pibae

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
Depends where you are starting from. If you are a complete beginner, the first point of call would be to learn how to do the special moves, so that you can perform them exactly when you want to do so. After you have mastered that, you have a repertoire of moves at your disposal, it is a matter of learning how to use them.

To begin, you probably want to watch a lot of videos to see how the experts are using their tools in a match. For example, when do they throw fireballs, how often do they jump (if at all), when would they use their ultra moves, what do they do on wakeup etc.

Probably you would also want to watch some tutorial videos about aspects of the game too. For example, cross counter's guide to ryu featuring air.
meat squasher!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
As someone who is also still relatively new to fighting games and is starting to level up my own game i feel like i can provide some guidance.
The simple answer is there is no "fast" way to improve other than playing constantly and trying to learn from your mistakes.
You are going to lose to begin with, we all did, but don't let that discourage you from playing.
There are a vast amount of resources at your disposal to learn core sf fundamentals that can be found all over Youtube and the Shoryuken forums(they have a beginners guide ebook which is a must read).
The reddit street fighter community also has quite an extensive new player guide index.
If you continue playing offline in tourneys and seek advice you're bound to pick up some more guided methods of improving.
 Other than that i'd say keep playing for fun and if you want to run some endless on Steam i'd be happy to play.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/
https://en.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/wiki/iv/new_player_guide

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
Hey thanks for the responses. Losing doesn't concern me, I just want to be able to learn from each match, so I'll be sure to play a lot more as suggested. May even get some games going with you guys in the near future.

Thanks for the links. Some I've seen, others I haven't.

Offline Gamogo

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
I gave this to a buddy who is new to fighting games recently. He loved it. You might want to check it out also:

From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast's Fighting Game Primer.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.

Offline saikyobatsujin

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
hey kungfupigeon,

I've been in your shoes for far too long. Longer than I can ever remember. I started playing fighting games since Street Fighter II but I never got to all that important stuff (will mention later) until quite recently. Back in the day, I use to be the type that thinks special moves were the coolest things. I foolishly came to the conclusion that special moves and all that flashy looking stuff is everything you need to know about street fighter, even if it meant mashing it out without knowing how it works or how it was done (I'm certain that alot of people who were inspire by street fighter for the first time have the same train of thought that everything that happens on the screen happens for no special reason other than pure entertainment). That was until I started going to arcades during my late high school years and witness how players there consistently execute these same special moves at will and body me without even using any at all (all they needed was one button). My initial hypothesis of special moves and fighting games in general went straight out the window at that point.

After some time, I somehow managed to learn the proper motions of the special moves and do it at will. However I still kept getting run over not only by real players but the CPU as well. The discovery there was that special moves have recovery (you can't just keep throwing fireballs and expect your opponent to not jumping over them). I saw how other players were throwing fireball at long distances and resorted to normals at short distances. That was during the Street Fighter Alpha 3 era and it was all I had to work with until street fighter IV.

The first thing I learnt in Street Fighter IV was cancelling into special moves (I never knew about crouching medium kick into fireball was low MK, then a punch button upon reaching the quarter circle forward). I never asked anyone about this sort of thing (cos I'm a shy person) so what I used to do is go to City Hunter (which happened to have SF4 installed on their PC's) and practice the training mode to try the different things that I see more experienced players do. That eventually paid off because I also leant how to FADC (focus dash cancel) into ultra around that time. Replicating what I learnt on an arcade stick was a big issue until I stumbled upon Daigo Umehara's video on how he holds an arcade stick and it really worked for me.

The next step for me was learning how to use normal moves (light punch, medium punch etc.). Maining Guile in Vanilla SF4 really helped in that regard because it gave me alot of opportunities to practice/apply proper distancing. I started winning alot of matches against other players from that point onwards. Learning/performing combos was not as difficult as I thought it'd be since I downloaded the game on PC. I would grind it out in training mode, break it down into smaller portions, practice each portion individually and combine it when I feel confident.

Through all that practice, I actually missed one of the most crucial things in street fighter, 'how to DP'. I mean, I do know how to do a dragon punch, but I either don't think about doing it or I just can't do it in a crouching position when the opponent jumps in. I discovered that one of the reasons for this was my infatuation and reliance on the focus attack mechanic. I used to practice focus attacks all day long that I became programmed to use it against everything (prior to attending YSB I get away with it every time). Another reason for me to be bad at DP's was that I didn't know that there was more than one way to do it (eg. in a crouching position). I could find myself holding my stick down while my opponent jump-in and don't know how to cleanly execute a DP in that position. Someone eventually told me how to do this (shout-outs to Ikuya) and now I can even do auto-correct DP's. So the lesson is, 'please learn how to DP'.

Like BBmachine says, I don't think there is a 'fast' way to improve your street fighter skills. I'm an example of one of the slowest learners one can ever imagine. I stumbled so many times and I still have miles to go. But that may be because I spend a lot of time practicing by myself under a rock. Now that you've discovered the goodness of YSB, things may turn out better for you.

Offline Kechu

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Buy a magic wand
Now a coach, not a player

Offline maxsze90

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
To start off: learn maximum damage off of all standard scenarios. Jump in combos, crumple combos, meterless, with meter, etc. Learn to hit confirm, recognise how soon you've hit someone and complete combo.

Minimise risk to self, blocking is a big thing, jumping frequently or at bad distances are expected and punished.

Learn neutral game, stay on ground, advance, poke with your best buttons, try to generate advantage safely. Learn block strings. You may occasionally jump after in a string. Also learn anti airs. Be consistent.

Finally play Ryu. Teaches you the most basic buffer, cr.mk x fireball.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! It's nice to get a few perspectives on this.  Hopefully I'll meet you guys online to play sometimes.

Offline whatcudgowrong

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:52:18 AM »
Get a friend at your level of enthusiasm and learn the game with them. Friends make things better.  :)

Offline saikyobatsujin

• Forum regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Get a friend at your level of enthusiasm and learn the game with them. Friends make things better.  :)

Yes. I couldn't agree more. In fact, any willing training partner will do. Many of the fundamentals are learnt through training mode and there are certain things that can't be achieved with the training dummy alone.

Offline Pendragon

• Forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I'm a SFIV beginner too and it's something I'd like to get into having played SFII. I've recently moved to Sydney (temporarily staying at Kings Cross) so if you want a training partner to level up with I'm game.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
hey man. Sounds good.  I only have the PC version right now. Steam name same as this one.

Offline Pendragon

• Forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
Ah okay, I don't have a gaming PC - I've got a dual modded stick and ordered a PS3, which should be delivered to Woolworths tomorrow. If you want to hook up for some games, maybe meet up at some eaterie first, that's cool. If you've got a compatible controller, I can bring the PS3 to your place, or you could come to my place... not sure what the LCD TV is like however... or might be able to get an XBox 360, but will need to purchase a copy of USFIV... or we can just meet up at an event. I've read about YSB, which I don't think is the best place for newbies to level up at... Are there similar events in Sydney?